The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Not Panic -- Cap Situation is NOT that Dire

Rate this topic

HKSR

1 hour ago, Cali Canuck said:

Cap Friendly disagrees with you.  They are already over the cap with only 18 players on the roster.  That includes having Pearson and Poolman on LTIR.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

The 18 players doesn't include IR/LTIR players. On our active roster we have 12F, 5D, and 1G (=18 players) signed for next year.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Replace Bear and Martin, add a legit third line center and backup, and improve that bottom pair and maybe they’re a playoff team.

legit. we have a bad mix. we are in cap hell and that prevents us from getting the right mix which management seems to be aware of from what i can tell. on the good side, we have the high end players, ie: core. sort of why i wouldnt mind trading down in the draft and picking up 2 top 40ish prospects, say ??? and strybak. the hawks would have to pay dearly for the 11th though.

Trading down to get a 2nd round pick is like trying to buy your way out of the mistake with dumping Dickinson. 

Basically throwing good after bad. Suck it up and eat that mistake like a man. Move on, get the BPA at 11.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

If boesers on millers wing itll be a cakewalk for opposing teams

Your opinion is again wrong. Our top two lines are killer good.

Kuz, Petey, Beau

Mik, Miller, Boeser

Fabulous top six. And we have younger guys pushing for top six minutes in Pods and Hogs.  Looks extremely good. 

#drinkoftheKoolaideCup! :towel:

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kuz, Petey, Beau

Mik, Miller, Boeser

Fabulous top six. And we have younger guys pushing for top six minutes in Pods and Hogs.  Looks extremely good. 

We actually has a faboulus top 9 if we add three of the following

Di Guiseppi/Podz Räty/Åman Hogz/Garland

if we only had a C in Hogz and Garlands size we could have the Pygmy-line crushing the oppo…

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kuz, Petey, Beau

Mik, Miller, Boeser

What we need is to see 2021 Podz this year. The guy was MIA last year before he got sent down to the AHL. I don't know if it was the sophomore slump, the war, or fitness, but he wasn't even a shadow of his 2021 self. IF he can show up to camp in shape and ready to play like 2021, our top 6 is actually pretty stacked. To be honest, the team's in great shape other than at 3C. I would take a run a Bjugstad; think he fits in well short term on the team until we can develop more depth. He shouldn't be all that expensive either.

Top 9 23/24 fwds:

Mik-Petterson-Kuz

Podz-Miller-Garland/Beau/Boeser(one gets traded)

Di Guiseppi/Hogs-Bjugstad-Garland/Beau/Boeser(one gets traded)

• Vintage 1

On 5/27/2023 at 1:55 AM, Angry Goose said:

Ive just never been a fan of shaking up the roster at the TDL especially if theyre winning.  historically, it seems like the conservative management types have a hard time doing that as well.

imo if you can, move your pending free agents sooner rather than later even though cap wise its much easier to do at the TDL. 

So for me, Myers and Beauvillier should be on the move, preferably before x mas roster freeze

Yeah, I agree with you. I think it is ideal to have the roster generally set so players settle into their roles, and then use TDL to add a player or two if you have holes.

In this case, with management "going for it", it seems to me that with cap issues, the team is best off figuring it all out earlier than later or we won't have the cap space to ice a team as ideal as we could through the season. That didn't work out great for us this past season (or prior). It also is the only opportunity we have to sign an appropriate UFA, but we probably cannot move him until the bonus is paid. For that, I've heard both July 1st as well as September as the dates this is scheduled to occur. That seems critical, since a July 1st bonus means he could be moved immediately and give this team the flexibility it needs to set the roster.

42 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Yeah, I agree with you. I think it is ideal to have the roster generally set so players settle into their roles, and then use TDL to add a player or two if you have holes.

In this case, with management "going for it", it seems to me that with cap issues, the team is best off figuring it all out earlier than later or we won't have the cap space to ice a team as ideal as we could through the season. That didn't work out great for us this past season (or prior). It also is the only opportunity we have to sign an appropriate UFA, but we probably cannot move him until the bonus is paid. For that, I've heard both July 1st as well as September as the dates this is scheduled to occur. That seems critical, since a July 1st bonus means he could be moved immediately and give this team the flexibility it needs to set the roster.

15 September - Dhaliwal checked with his agent.  

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Yeah as mll mentioned, Myers bonus isn't paid until the training camp, so that may not be a feasible opportunity. 

Trading a winger out remains our best option. We just need to send one out, and we have lots of cheap wingers knocking at the door as replacements. Hoggy and Linus Karlsson are primed for a spot, as well as PDG who might be on the outside looking in with Mikheyev back. 

I suppose that a handshake deal could be worked out early with a team and then completed once Myers' bonus is paid out. Those happen all the time, and it's why you see signings being announced minutes after the free agency opens. 

it's only dire because management will want to go UFA shopping for some more overpriced 3rd line players and the only way to make room for that is to pay draft capital to unload older contracts that have negative trade value despite the fact that the players involved are actually not as bad as their value indicates (i.e. Garland).

This has been the MO of this team for like 8 years now and I don't see it ending anytime soon.

I honestly can't wait for the day that July 1 comes and goes and the Canucks don't make any moves.

Let the bidding wars start and stop and then go bargain bin shopping....there are always unwanted guys that end up being difference makers for their teams.

Edited by Sell.the.team
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

We actually has a faboulus top 9 if we add three of the following

Di Guiseppi/Podz Räty/Åman Hogz/Garland

if we only had a C in Hogz and Garlands size we could have the Pygmy-line crushing the oppo…

We had last year with Dries. Good little player but too small for the role he tried to fill.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

What we need is to see 2021 Podz this year. The guy was MIA last year before he got sent down to the AHL. I don't know if it was the sophomore slump, the war, or fitness, but he wasn't even a shadow of his 2021 self. IF he can show up to camp in shape and ready to play like 2021, our top 6 is actually pretty stacked. To be honest, the team's in great shape other than at 3C. I would take a run a Bjugstad; think he fits in well short term on the team until we can develop more depth. He shouldn't be all that expensive either.

Top 9 23/24 fwds:

Mik-Petterson-Kuz

Podz-Miller-Garland/Beau/Boeser(one gets traded)

Di Guiseppi/Hogs-Bjugstad-Garland/Beau/Boeser(one gets traded)

Podz in those last 40 games was unreal.  He was playing like a franchise forward in the making and creating chances every time he went out there. 

We need him to develop into a top 4 forward for us fast.  He has to be that guy on Millers RW.   If Raty, Hogz, Aman keep developing than i like our top 9. 

Not a fan of Bjugstad.  Hes not a good skater, and with a team that already has poor skaters like Boeser, we cant afford another in our forward group. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah as mll mentioned, Myers bonus isn't paid until the training camp, so that may not be a feasible opportunity. 

Trading a winger out remains our best option. We just need to send one out, and we have lots of cheap wingers knocking at the door as replacements. Hoggy and Linus Karlsson are primed for a spot, as well as PDG who might be on the outside looking in with Mikheyev back. 

I suppose that a handshake deal could be worked out early with a team and then completed once Myers' bonus is paid out. Those happen all the time, and it's why you see signings being announced minutes after the free agency opens. 

Hogz yes, but I don't yet think Karlsson is ready .