The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Moving the 11th pick and other small moves

Will be interesting to see which way Conroy decides to swing with the Flames. He could go full retool/rebuild and just start selling players left right and center, but the problem is those big contracts will be impossible to move and weigh the team down. It rarely is said but he'd be wiser to try and build around those guys and take a shot at the playoffs the next couple of years and hope to have a Florida-like moment - they've certainly got the defence and maybe goalie who can do so. They're very similar to the Panthers in terms of structure (very solid top-4 defence which is versatile, has toughness and puck moving ability, have a goalie who can be quite streaky and Wolf in the fold soon too, and up front have scorers who can be clutch or invisible). Problem is, it just isn't clicking for the Flames. They need more scoring up front, simple.

I don't think Andersson is going anywhere, he's arguably their best defenceman, but there's lots of chatter about Hanifin being moved. He's young, in a contract year, good two-way guy and surprisingly he logged some of the biggest minutes of their team last year, but they're talking about moving him. Just under 5M cap hit is quite tasty too. We should target him big time.

Boeser for Hanifin - if there's a deal there I'd jump all over it. We'd probably have to add something though, I'd be happy to give a 3rd or 4th or even Rathbone to make it happen. Slot Hanifin in as our top pairing LD with Hronek and suddenly we have an amazing top-4 which can do a bit of everything. Calgary are still fine - Weegar can play LD and cover the position fine. They also have a tiny bit of cap space to fit Boeser but we can retain a smidge if need be.

2nd pairing RD is still a bit of a mess but if we shelter OEL and Myers but getting Hanifin, I think they'd play better. Put Hanifin and Hronek out there as the top shutdown pairing, Hughes gets to just run around against weaker opposition and OEL-Myers are basically just PK pylons who can step up if injuries hit.

Hanifin - Hronek

Hughes - Burroughs

OEL - Myers

Hirose

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Will be interesting to see which way Conroy decides to swing with the Flames. He could go full retool/rebuild and just start selling players left right and center, but the problem is those big contracts will be impossible to move and weigh the team down. It rarely is said but he'd be wiser to try and build around those guys and take a shot at the playoffs the next couple of years and hope to have a Florida-like moment - they've certainly got the defence and maybe goalie who can do so. They're very similar to the Panthers in terms of structure (very solid top-4 defence which is versatile, has toughness and puck moving ability, have a goalie who can be quite streaky and Wolf in the fold soon too, and up front have scorers who can be clutch or invisible). Problem is, it just isn't clicking for the Flames. They need more scoring up front, simple.

I don't think Andersson is going anywhere, he's arguably their best defenceman, but there's lots of chatter about Hanifin being moved. He's young, in a contract year, good two-way guy and surprisingly he logged some of the biggest minutes of their team last year, but they're talking about moving him. Just under 5M cap hit is quite tasty too. We should target him big time.

Boeser for Hanifin - if there's a deal there I'd jump all over it. We'd probably have to add something though, I'd be happy to give a 3rd or 4th or even Rathbone to make it happen. Slot Hanifin in as our top pairing LD with Hronek and suddenly we have an amazing top-4 which can do a bit of everything. Calgary are still fine - Weegar can play LD and cover the position fine. They also have a tiny bit of cap space to fit Boeser but we can retain a smidge if need be.

2nd pairing RD is still a bit of a mess but if we shelter OEL and Myers but getting Hanifin, I think they'd play better. Put Hanifin and Hronek out there as the top shutdown pairing, Hughes gets to just run around against weaker opposition and OEL-Myers are basically just PK pylons who can step up if injuries hit.

Hanifin - Hronek

Hughes - Burroughs

OEL - Myers

Hirose

Thats not a bad deal

though i would prefer to pay a bit more by trading Garland or beauvillier. I get the feeling Boeser is finally getting the message about his play and how he should be spending the offseason 

How the flames are going to be managed will be interesting to watch