The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Jayden Grubbe's rights to Oilers for 2023 5th-round pick

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is a head scratcher for me. If NY drafted him in 2021, then they have two years to sign him, which puts us at July 1, 2023. Now if NY didn't intend to sign him, then Edmonton would just have to wait until July 1st and sign him as a free agent. And if the player still wants to test free agency, then all he has to do is wait until July 1st. I don't understand why Edmonton would give up anything for a guy they could sign for nothing in July, unless they had some sort of arrangement with the player or agent, but that would be tampering, wouldn't it? As I say, a head scratcher.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

This is a head scratcher for me. If NY drafted him in 2021, then they have two years to sign him, which puts us at July 1, 2023. Now if NY didn't intend to sign him, then Edmonton would just have to wait until July 1st and sign him as a free agent. And if the player still wants to test free agency, then all he has to do is wait until July 1st. I don't understand why Edmonton would give up anything for a guy they could sign for nothing in July, unless they had some sort of arrangement with the player or agent, but that would be tampering, wouldn't it? As I say, a head scratcher.

I guess they figure there's gonna be other teams interested in him, so by making this move, they can spend the month negotiating with him and hopefully lock him into a deal before free agency.

• Cheers 1

Nice to see the Rangers starting to lose prospects to free agency. For years they have been on the receiving end of that, most notably with Adam Fox. But there have been many others (Jimmy Vesey and Tim Erixon, off the top of my head…).

Perhaps agents are realizing that, outside of Fox, the team hasn’t been overly good at developing these guys into successful NHL-ers. And because of their depth on the NHL team, legitimate guys are getting blocked and now seem to be looking elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why June 1st?

Doesn't his contract end June 30th?

He has not been signed by the Rangers so he has no contract to expire.

1) Canadian Hockey League (OHL, WHL, QMJHL) Players: Teams that a draft a CHL player have two years to sign him to an entry-level contract before forfeiting the player's NHL rights. The affected player can re-enter the NHL Draft and, if unselected, becomes an unrestricted free agent. 

The key date for such players is June 1. 

• Cheers 1