The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Senators exploring trade for Alex DeBrincat

15 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Ouch. He's not a $9 mil a year player. Obviously they can negotiate for less than the QO, but...

If the Sens could get Debrincat at the Caufield number then that looks really good for them. Clearly Debrincat is the superior player. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If the Sens could get Debrincat at the Caufield number then that looks really good for them. Clearly Debrincat is the superior player. 

True. So far he is the better player. 

But Petey is at $7.85 mil a year now. We'll see how Caufield performs and whether he's worth it or not. 

Public opinion seems to be that Caufield is a great deal at 7.85, while DeBrincat is not worth 9.  

I agree with arguments for both, but when you combine the two, it doesn't make sense given what DeBrincat's already accomplished.  He outproduced Caufield in each of their first three seasons, and then after that put up a 40, 30, and 27 goal seasons. 

7 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

If somehow, someway PA&Co could swap out a combination of Myers, Boeser, Beauvillier,1st/11oa for a mix of Batherson or Debrincat, Pinto, and Zub would that be acceptable loss/gain?

I'd prefer to add some size to the top 6 with Batherson over Debrincat at his 9m q.o. I think Boeser is is friends with Tkachuk? could be a good chance for a fresh start for BB6. I'm a fan of Myers though i think Zub would excel in Vancouver. Beauvillier would be closer to friends and family. Ottawa also does not have a 1st this draft class

Boeser 6.5

Myers 6

Beauvillier 4.150

2023 11oa

for 

Batherson 4.950

Pinto Rfa

Zub 4x4.6

Kuzmenko Petey Batherson 

Mikheyev Miller Garland 

Podkolzin Pinto Klimovich?

Joshua Aman Digiuseppe

Studnicka Dries

Hughes Zub

OEL Hronek 

Rathbone Schenn?

Brisebois Karlsson 

Hirose Mcward

please be gentle:lol:

I'd want to wait until the report comes out regarding the 2018 WJHC team before even considering touching Batherson.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd want to wait until the report comes out regarding the 2018 WJHC team before even considering touching Batherson.

Oh Snap! I thought he was a yankit, I mean yankee wait no - I'm trying to say upstanding American citizen. 

Thanks for letting me know- I thought it was only Formenton from the sens at that wjc.

that said, do not want Batherson.

1 hour ago, dontaylorforprez said:

Do we know what the asking price is?

well, he was traded for a 1st/7oa and a 2nd/39 oa in 2022 and a 3rd in 2024. he's anywhere from 25-41 goals per season, they're going to need to replace him too for 2nd line wing

Really tough, as Ottawa has no 1st this year, needs a couple goalies Sogaard needs more time to develop and Forsberg is 30 and a career ahl/tweener. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

well, he was traded for a 1st/7oa and a 2nd/39 oa in 2022 and a 3rd in 2024. he's anywhere from 25-41 goals per season, they're going to need to replace him too for 2nd line wing

Really tough, as Ottawa has no 1st this year, needs a couple goalies Sogaard needs more time to develop and Forsberg is 30 and a career ahl/tweener. 

Good call. That pretty well sums it up I’d say. But that’d be tough to swing for sure.

• Cheers 1

Per Garrioch Ottawa will file for team elected arbitration.  The deadline is today 5pm ET.  It allows teams to by-pass the qualifying offer process.  His QO is 9M.  Ottawa can then hope to drop his award to 85% in arbitration - 7.65M.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

Alex DeBrincat's days with the Ottawa Senators appear to be numbered.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports that DeBrincat's agent has submitted a list of preferred trade destinations as contract talks continue to stall between the two sides. 

"I don’t think you can say it’s a certainty, but it looks like it’s more likely than not," LeBrun said of DeBrincat possibly being traded. "What’s happened here is DeBrincat’s camp, led by agent Jeff Jackson, has submitted a list of preferred destinations that his client would be interested in joining. The reason that’s significant is that if general manager Pierre Dorion does trade DeBrincat, he would want him to be signed through this trade, so he could get maximum value back in return. 

"Think of the Matthew Tkachuk deal from the Calgary Flames to the Florida Panthers last off-season. Don’t know who exactly is on that list but that list has been submitted."

https://www.tsn.ca/alex-debrincat-has-submitted-preferred-trade-list-to-ottawa-senators-1.1970683?tsn-amp

On 6/15/2023 at 11:20 AM, mll said:

Per Garrioch Ottawa will file for team elected arbitration.  The deadline is today 5pm ET.  It allows teams to by-pass the qualifying offer process.  His QO is 9M.  Ottawa can then hope to drop his award to 85% in arbitration - 7.65M.  

This is one I don’t know, are there trade limitations after club elected arbitration?

Can they trade him even while waiting for the hearing, or say 1 after getting the result?

1 hour ago, Provost said:

This is one I don’t know, are there trade limitations after club elected arbitration?

Can they trade him even while waiting for the hearing, or say 1 after getting the result?

He can still be traded before / after the award.  Calgary filed for team elected arbitration with Tkachuk but traded him before.  The arbitration filing carries over to the new team per CapFriendly - probably because the player lost his right to file for arbitration himself.

There are 2 windows for team elected arbitration.  Ottawa and NJD filed before issuing the qualifying offer so they are guarded against the player signing his QO.  The award can drop to 85% of their last salary.  Players can still sign an offer-sheet until 5 July.  

Calgary filed after the QO was issued - that window opens right after the player deadline to file for arbitration.  It made him no longer offer-sheet eligible.  The award would have been minimum his last salary - there's not the potential drop to 85% unlike when using the 1st filing deadline and by-passing the QO.  

Once the hearing process is underway teams can no longer negotiate a contract whether team elected or player elected arbitration.  The award is binding in team elected arbitration - there's no walk-away limit while in player elected arbitration teams can walk away above ~4.5M.  

Here's the details to the Tkachuk situation after Calgary filed.  9M was his last salary.  They used the 2nd window while NJD/OTT used the 1st.

• Upvote 1