The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Golden Knights: Play Jonathan Quick for 2 minutes before it's all over?

Rate this topic

Back in 1990 when the Oilers were on their way to winning the Cup they made a point of putting backup goalie Pokey Reddick in for two minutes so that he would have actually seen the ice as part of the Cup winning run.

Pokey was actually a heck of a goalie if people haven't heard of him.  Came reasonably close to the Vezina and Calder Trophies in his rookie year.  Never attained the level of performance from his rookie year again (see Troy Gamble, Corey Hirsch, Andrew Raycroft) but was a magnificent minor league goalie and a pretty good NHL backup.

Well, the Golden Knights made a point of acquiring Jonathan Quick this year and he has done nothing but sit on the bench.  Would you put the legend in for a minute or two to make sure he earns his name on the Cup or do you not screw around at all with anything that puts optics or respect over performance for even one minute...

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

I don't think that's necessary in Quick's case. He's a legend. He's won his cups.

It might be a fine thing to do for a goalie who's never won, like Luongo or Lundqvist if you were super ahead on the scoresheet. 

Would I, as hypothetical coach? No chance.

Yeah tonight up 7-2 would have been the opportunity but then that's kind of bulletin board material for Florida.  I would be too much of a nice guy and try to get everyone in there but that's why I would barely be qualified to coach Timbits and leave the NHL action to Babcock / Quenneville / Keenan.

12 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

I don't think that's necessary in Quick's case. He's a legend. He's won his cups.

It might be a fine thing to do for a goalie who's never won, like Luongo or Lundqvist if you were super ahead on the scoresheet. 

Would I, as hypothetical coach? No chance.

Agree with this. Quick has a far greater legacy and is already on two Cup winning teams, playing a huge role in both teams. No need for a taste of glory that he's already seen.

Just now, -AJ- said:

Agree with this. Quick has a far greater legacy and is already on two Cup winning teams, playing a huge role in both teams. No need for a taste of glory that he's already seen.

Except Quick, like all these great players, is a hyper compete guy, he wants to play.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Except Quick, like all these great players, is a hyper compete guy, he wants to play.  

Fair, but if he's not the best option for Vegas, then I can see it being very reasonable for them not to play him.

I think if you're ballsy enough to do this, you do it right at the very end, not at the start of the series. Doing it at the end of a 7-2 win just seems like you're painting the devil on the wall, asking for trouble, and imagine the fire that would give the Panthers. Up 2-0 means nothing. Up 3-0, maybe, but I'd reserve it for if/when they're winning the 4th game by at least a couple of goals, then chuck him in quickly.

Only problem would be that the team would flock to Quick rather than Hill who has been outstanding so far, so maybe you quickly pull Hill, throw Quick in at the end of say the 2nd period, then go back to Hill for the end.

• Cheers 1

Who cares about quick. With how badly his nose was out of joint immediately after the trade he should view this as a silver lining whether he gets ice time or not. He already had is 15 minutes of fame. 

Edited by chon derry

I wouldn't do it. Quick has already accomplished everything you can do as a goalie. Unless he needs the game to have his name on the cup

You don't want to give the other team any fuel or motivation to be used against you. Throwing in a backup for no reason is basically saying that you already know that you are winning the cup. Look at how Boston rallied against us after the pregame cup celebration rumors 

6 minutes ago, jatylo said:

I wouldn't do it. Quick has already accomplished everything you can do as a goalie. Unless he needs the game to have his name on the cup

You don't want to give the other team any fuel or motivation to be used against you. Throwing in a backup for no reason is basically saying that you already know that you are winning the cup. Look at how Boston rallied against us after the pregame cup celebration rumors 

The rules have changed over the years.  I think dressing as a backup for a game in the finals is technically enough to get engraved.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

On 6/6/2023 at 9:05 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

The rules have changed over the years.  I think dressing as a backup for a game in the finals is technically enough to get engraved.

The team can also request an exception to be made if that's not the case.  I'm not sure regarding the likelihood of the request being fulfilled though.

It would be a classy thing to do.   Quick isn't my favourite guy, given we'd just spent a final trying to beat Tim Thomas, and we had 2 power plays for every one of theirs ... and couldn't solve him.   Quick for sure was the main reason why LA won their first cup, he was great, right there with Tim Thomas, for the best playoff goaltending of the 2010's.   Still time heals all wounds (hockey ones harder to heal maybe!) and can respect what he's accomplished.     Pretty sure he might  get his name on the cup anyways ... but it's a lot more meaningful, if he gets a shift in. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone clarify for me.

Does Quick get his name on the Vegas cup?  did he play any meaningful amount of games in the season or playoff to justify his name going on the cup?  or was he just a pine rider on a cup winning team?

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Can someone clarify for me.

Does Quick get his name on the Vegas cup?  did he play any meaningful amount of games in the season or playoff to justify his name going on the cup?  or was he just a pine rider on a cup winning team?

I think dressing as a backup for one game in the Cup final is enough.  Generally speaking I think 41 games in the regular season or either one game of the finals or one game of the playoffs is enough to be engraved...I forget and I think the rules have changed a little over the years.

There have been occasions where someone who didn't play all season or in the playoffs got engraved out of compassion with special permission (Vladimir Konstantinov for the Cup after his car accident).

Edited by Kevin Biestra