The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[poll/discussion] If a reasonable trade isn’t available, who do you pair with Myers to start the season?

Where do you play Myers?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sign a cheap bottom paid defensive dman to play with him like Robert Hagg or Niko Mikkola + bring Back Luke Schenn. Best cost effective option in my opinion, wont get you a Stanley Cup but could get you in the playoffs.

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Hronek

Hagg - Myers

• Thanks 1

Hirose, or perhaps Brisebois (who looked decent in a defensive role).
Akito's skating, stickwork and angles would help him lock things down like a poor man's Hughes, whereas he can transition the puck up ice and let Giraffe do his thing.
If Akito's not ready then we ought to pair him with a defense-first LD (or see if Burroughs can stick if he's not up with Quinn).

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Sign a cheap bottom paid defensive dman to play with him like Robert Hagg or Niko Mikkola + bring Back Luke Schenn. Best cost effective option in my opinion, wont get you a Stanley Cup but could get you in the playoffs.

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Hronek

Hagg - Myers

Hagg is a reasonable target I haven’t seen mentioned before. I like this setup as a reasonable, short term option. Could also get something back from trading Bear’s rights

• Upvote 1

Motivated by a contract year, and with Foote to coach him, I wonder if he could reinvent himself as a shutdown D partner for Hughes?

He mentioned this coaching staff gave him the most direction / individual coaching since he was a rookie. 

He skates well enough to get into position, and can use his stick to break up plays. 

Edited by Kenny Powers
Changed to a question
  • RoughGame 1

I think you initially see how him and OEL look together under the current coaching staff and within new systems, but if that doesn't work out you look at him as more of a higher end 5D. I suppose a question that should be asked is that if Myers isn't in our top 4 who is taking that other top 4RD spot? And that could shift over the course of the offseason, but right now it's who, Bear? Assuming he's retained? 

If he's not in management's medium to longer term plans as a re-signing option I could see an argument for giving someone else a shot in that top 4 slot. I could also see an argument for putting Myers in that top 4 slot if folks see him as our best top 4 option. More than likely Myers sees himself as a top 4D and will want to be deployed accordingly, particularly given it's a contract year, but how our coaching staff view him is anyone's guess. 

• Upvote 1

I would like to see what a full training camp under Tocchet, Foote, and Gonchar does for the defense. Maybe they can get something out of Myers and OEL that others haven't. Mind you, OEL and Tocchet were supposedly not a good mix in Arizona. Then again, that organization is fricking clown shoes. 

• Haha 1

Top pairing with Rathbone ... IN ABBOTSFORD!

Myers should have suitors for his whole contract after his bonus is paid. If he tries to use his No Trade to stop a trade, then put him on waivers. The team that wanted to trade for him (his contract is juicy to some) then they can just claim him.

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I would like to see what a full training camp under Tocchet, Foote, and Gonchar does for the defense. Maybe they can get something out of Myers and OEL that others haven't. Mind you, OEL and Tocchet were supposedly not a good mix in Arizona. Then again, that organization is fricking clown shoes. 

While true, it wasn't like OEL looked like dogsh** prior to Tocchet being there (otherwise he wouldn't have been able to get that monster contract we are currently paying the price of).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

If it will cost assets to move him in the preseason, what’s the best deployment of Myers in his contract year?

Could Hughes help raise his trade value? Try him again with OEL? Hirose?

A doctor who will swear that he has developed a RARE allergy to his equipment and puck rubber allowing him to go on LTIR for the season and then miraculously be cured next summer in time to sign for something like 1.5 million per....

;)

That's my ideal solution!

Sometimes a coach just works with a player. Look at the contract Darryl Sutter got for Gudbranson. He has never been able to play well under anyone else. 
Maybe RT has the secret sauce to tame the chaos. 
I seriously doubt it but Gudbranson is making $4M a year, anything can happen. 
Maybe OEL comes back 5 years younger.

He will be third pairing, killing penalties and moving up when needed for injuries. 
Or he will go as part of a bigger deal ala OEL deal. 

Edited by DrJockitch