Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rowan Atkinson on free speech


Guest

Recommended Posts

So using my super math skills, after finding out the vid is 8 years old...that puts this law at 33 years old.

 

I see it as a tool for the police.

For example, the gay horse comment was more about harassing the police not about saying the word gay. 

I have no problem with the police having the 'tool' to arrest people if they are reducing hateful harassment. 

 

By the way.

If you want more freedom in what you say...put it in song. I could provide a dozen examples of 'offside' language in a matter of minutes. 

 

Thanks Dee Snyder, Frank zappa and John Denver. ;)

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Would you support anarchy?

 

Im not being silly. Just where do you draw the line on freedoms? 

Beg pardon...? Do you think Rowan Atkinson supports anarchy?

 

Or has anything he said in the video indicate to you that he supports anarchy?

Edited by Bissurnette
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bissurnette said:

Do you think Rowan Atkinson supports anarchy?

No. I was trying to use his suggestion to have more dialogue/talking.

 

I was asking you. Can you answer my questions? 

What is logic for some differs from others..

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The irony is, that the race to inclusion has done nothing except silence people which has lead to a race to exclusion.

 

People want and demand freedom to live how they want and need their freedom of expression protected but it only ever seems to come at a cost towards those who would rail against it, who then become marginalized and need to have their freedom of expression protected.

 

Not everyone is an extremist or irrational, but pushing to hard leads to irrational extremists.

 

The pendulum swings both ways in wild fashions and can make people become the things they fight against.

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry but my mind is now spinning to some obvious resrictions of freedoms and accepted usages of hate speech.

 

We are on a site that views a women's reproductive right as a political issue...so was cant talk about it.

We support a team that had its legendary twins referred to sisters by some for years. This is one of the accepted hate speeches I talk of. If someone is insulting you and wanting to call you weak. They call you a b*tch or a p*ssy, you punch/throw 'like a girl'.

My mum is the toughest human I have ever known.

We have so far to still go. 

  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • There it is 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Bissurnette said:

It aligns with common sense and logic.

Pretty arrogant of you to think that. Then again, I don't think you are even thinking about anything else except your own little bubble.

It's ok to have an opinion. However, don't expect that opinion to not be challenged. There are problems with his position, but once again, there is a lot of deflection to the criticisms rather than any real answers to them.

 

"Common sense and logic" is a weak defense, which is nothing more than saying God told me the answer. Logic requires you to support your evidence. You have shown no shred of that here.

 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sorry but my mind is now spinning to some obvious resrictions of freedoms and accepted usages of hate speech.

 

We are on a site that views a women's reproductive right as a political issue...so was cant talk about it.

We support a team that had its legendary twins referred to sisters by some for years. This is one of the accepted hate speeches I talk of. If someone is insulting you and wanting to call you weak. They call you a b*tch or a p*ssy, you punch/throw 'like a girl'.

My mum is the toughest human I have ever known.

We have so far to still go. 

No, the Twins being called "sisters" is not hate speech. Jesus Christ. This is an insult as Rowan talks about. However, the disagreement is on the extent of free speech. I do not believe we should allow hate as part of free speech. Hate will likely breed violence. This is not a logical fallacy.

 

Hate speech is saying that a <certain group of people> are subhuman.

 

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

No, the Twins being called "sisters" is not hate speech. Jesus Christ. This is an insult as Rowan talks about. However, the disagreement is on the extent of free speech. I do not believe we should allow hate as part of free speech. Hate will likely breed violence. This is not a logical fallacy.

 

Hate speech is saying that a <certain group of people> are subhuman.

 

Hate speech might be the wrong term but...

Why is it an insult? why is calling someone a sister an insult? because they are physically weaker 'certain group 'of people?

 

Sorry havn't had enough coffee this morn and I am interested in this convo. 

 

Edit: just to follow up on my thought process...

 

https://medium.com/grandstandcentral/the-sedin-twins-brought-out-the-worst-in-hockey-culture-85a5e32e191a

"Media coverage has always been problematic with the twins. That “sisters” line, as horribly misogynistic.."

 

Misogyny (/mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is hatred of, contempt for, or prejudice against women. It is a form of sexism that is used to keep women at a lower social status than men, thus maintaining the social roles of patriarchy.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

No. I was trying to use his suggestion to have more dialogue/talking.

 

I was asking you. Can you answer my questions? 

What is logic for some differs from others..

Your question does not flow in this argument. Free speech =/= anarchy. And no I don't support anarchy.

 

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sorry but my mind is now spinning to some obvious resrictions of freedoms and accepted usages of hate speech.

 

We are on a site that views a women's reproductive right as a political issue...so was cant talk about it.

We support a team that had its legendary twins referred to sisters by some for years. This is one of the accepted hate speeches I talk of. If someone is insulting you and wanting to call you weak. They call you a b*tch or a p*ssy, you punch/throw 'like a girl'.

My mum is the toughest human I have ever known.

We have so far to still go. 

Lmao this isn't hate speech. And that's exactly what Rowan is talking about in the video. Anyone can take any statement as a form of hate speech, and if it's perceived as hate speech then the government has to censor it by your argument right? Should we have Benn and Seguin arrested for their comment about the twins?

  • Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Pretty arrogant of you to think that. Then again, I don't think you are even thinking about anything else except your own little bubble.

It's ok to have an opinion. However, don't expect that opinion to not be challenged. There are problems with his position, but once again, there is a lot of deflection to the criticisms rather than any real answers to them.

 

"Common sense and logic" is a weak defense, which is nothing more than saying God told me the answer. Logic requires you to support your evidence. You have shown no shred of that here.

 

I don't even...

 

12 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

No, the Twins being called "sisters" is not hate speech. Jesus Christ. This is an insult as Rowan talks about. However, the disagreement is on the extent of free speech.

 

Hate speech is saying that a <certain group of people> are subhuman.

 

But I do somewhat agree with this.

  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bissurnette said:

Your question does not flow in this argument. Free speech =/= anarchy. And no I don't support anarchy.

 

Lmao this isn't hate speech. And that's exactly what Rowan is talking about in the video. Anyone can take any statement as a form of hate speech, and if it's perceived as hate speech then the government has to censor it by your argument right? Should we have Benn and Seguin arrested for their comment about the twins?

Thank you.

I was looking for some convo. 

 

I mentioned the law being a tool to dissect things that are hate speech or hateful harassments from insults. 

 

Now that you are talking. Do you think any speech regardless of intention should be premitted in all environments? 

 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bissurnette said:

Should we have Benn and Seguin arrested for their comment about the twins?

Sorry missed this.

As I asked earlier.

Are there any examples of prosecution for using a gay slur under this law RA is talking about?

 

I think Benn and Seguin were persecuted enough in the court of public opinion. Many fans after that would not have them on  our team even if Benn is a hometown boy.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bissurnette said:

It aligns with common sense and logic.

I have to comment on this because it's one of my pet peeves.

 

There is no such thing as "common sense". The entire use of the term "common sense" is to imply that your opinion is right and that only your opinion is right. It's no different than saying "everyone thinks x" which is going to be incorrect since no two minds think exactly the same.\

 

Opinions are not facts. There is no such thing as common sense.

  • Cheers 4
  • Wat 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I have to comment on this because it's one of my pet peeves.

 

There is no such thing as "common sense". The entire use of the term "common sense" is to imply that your opinion is right and that only your opinion is right. It's no different than saying "everyone thinks x" which is going to be incorrect since no two minds think exactly the same.\

 

Opinions are not facts. There is no such thing as common sense.

There's such a thing, but it's more for stuff like "don't eat yellow snow".

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, King Heffy said:

There's such a thing, but it's more for stuff like "don't eat yellow snow".

You know.. you'd think that would be the case, but think about the random kid who decided to try it anyway. lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyway my thought on this stuff is this. If we are to go with what "free speech" is supposed to mean. Full disclaimer, I can't say I watched the whole video.

 

1. Everyone has the right to be critical of everything.

2. Everyone also has the right to be offended by anything.

3. Everyone also has the right to be offended by people who are offended.

4. Everyone also has the right to be offended by the people who are offended at the people who are offended.

 

Might seem silly what I just stated, but my point is that it's a double-edged sword and it's easy to forget that there's more to free speech than just making simple statements.

 

Is someone allowed to say racist things? Yes.

Are people allowed to cancel the person who said that racist thing; thus, creating a consequence for that person's action? Also yes.

 

Complaining about people being cancelled, you are using your free speech. The people who are trying to cancel are also using free speech.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...