The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

American guy reacts to just how good we truly are at hockey..

iceman64

I stumbled upon this guy on YouTube reacting to things in Canada as a typical American, but this was his best one and I bet Ryan Kessler would be pissed, remember when he said hockey  isn't "Canada's game?"

Well Ryan, have a look at this!

9 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

I stumbled upon this guy on YouTube reacting to things in Canada as a typical American, but this was his best one and I bet Ryan Kessler would be pissed, remember when he said hockey  isn't "Canada's game?"

Well Ryan, have a look at this!

I mean, I think USA Hockey is in a better state than it's ever been.  They have an insane core of forwards that are all under age 30.  Their defence is weaker than ours but their goaltending is miles ahead of us.  Who's our best goalie?  Jarry?  Hart?  Binnington??  The US Women's team is also toe-to-toe against us.  Apart from Sarah Fillier, I think the American team has more promising youngsters than we do.  Culture-wise, we don't really have anything that compares to college hockey.  There are some epic rivalries that we simply can't get from the CHL (maybe the Petes-67s but not even close).

I also think Hockey Canada is probably in the worst state it's ever been.  No point getting to deep into that mess, but clearly there is a rot that goes all the way to the top.  Now is not the time to brag about Canadian hockey.  

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I mean, I think USA Hockey is in a better state than it's ever been.  They have an insane core of forwards that are all under age 30.  Their defence is weaker than ours but their goaltending is miles ahead of us.  Who's our best goalie?  Jarry?  Hart?  Binnington??  The US Women's team is also toe-to-toe against us.  Apart from Sarah Fillier, I think the American team has more promising youngsters than we do.  Culture-wise, we don't really have anything that compares to college hockey.  There are some epic rivalries that we simply can't get from the CHL (maybe the Petes-67s but not even close).

I also think Hockey Canada is probably in the worst state it's ever been.  No point getting to deep into that mess, but clearly there is a rot that goes all the way to the top.  Now is not the time to brag about Canadian hockey.  

While other countries can put a good fight against Hockey Canada’s best team. Canada still has the depth (at least on forward and defense) that no other country can match. 

I mean, after team USA’s “A-team”, who do they have? Pavelski? Brock Nelson? Both who can make a case for their A-team.

21 minutes ago, shiznak said:

While other countries can put a good fight against Hockey Canada’s best team. Canada still has the depth (at least on forward and defense) that no other country can match. 

I mean, after team USA’s “A-team”, who do they have? Pavelski? Brock Nelson? Both who can make a case for their A-team.

Well the New York Rangers alone could probably fill a half or a third of an American team. So I can see the US being able to build 2 teams especially since they can already fill each team with elite goaltending. 

Team A

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Campbell

Team B

Oettinger
Demko
Swayman

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

At their best, a men's USA can definitely match up against Team Canada.  We have no depth in net and that would be a huge problem if the Olympics ever go back to NHL level.  Just like we did in 2010 and 2014, we'd have to rely on a superior 4th line and a blueline of 6 franchise D-men to win games.

In any case, Joe Pavelski is an American legend.  He can easily make the USA first team and wear the "C" again.  He is still playing elite level hockey, breaking records - I'm surprised you mentioned him mockingly.

And if it's a case of quantity>quality, know that while Canada still tops the list with 294 current NHLers, the number of Americans has skyrocketed to a second place 202.

Can you make the same case for women's hockey?  USA Hockey has an excellent development program and their national team is stacked with young players.  They routinely beat us in the World Championships (including this past April), but notably lose in the Olympics.  Undoubtedly the tightest and fiercest rivalry in hockey.

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

At their best, a men's USA can definitely match up against Team Canada.  We have no depth in net and that would be a huge problem if the Olympics ever go back to NHL level.  Just like we did in 2010 and 2014, we'd have to rely on a superior 4th line and a blueline of 6 franchise D-men to win games.

In any case, Joe Pavelski is an American legend.  He can easily make the USA first team and wear the "C" again.  He is still playing elite level hockey, breaking records - I'm surprised you mentioned him mockingly.

And if it's a case of quantity>quality, know that while Canada still tops the list with 294 current NHLers, the number of Americans has skyrocketed to a second place 202.

Can you make the same case for women's hockey?  USA Hockey has an excellent development program and their national team is stacked with young players.  They routinely beat us in the World Championships (including this past April), but notably lose in the Olympics.  Undoubtedly the tightest and fiercest rivalry in hockey.

I don’t see the lack of producing quality Canadian goaltending that much of an issue. Those problems can be fix with a team who can defend well, in conjunction with, assembling a good coaching staff and implementing a good system. 

Canada’s second team, vice-versa, can easily matchup with any other countries best team.

Huberdeau - Taraves - Konecny

Batherson - Giroux - Verhgaehe

Hagel - Thomas - Kyrou

Smith - Stephenson - Scheifele

HM: Horvat, Schenn, Toffoli

Reilly - Burns

Parayko - Hamilton

Dunn - Weegar

HM: Sprugeon, Pulock, Letang, Montour, Powers, Chabot, Chychrun

Kuemper

Fleury

Hill

HM: Binnington, Skinner

Italics = Can make it on the A-team  

USA women’s hockey has always been good throughout their history. Even when we had prime Goyette, Wickenheiser, Ouellette, and Campbell.

Edited by shiznak

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I don’t see the lack of producing quality Canadian goaltending that much of an issue. Those problems can be fix with a team who can defend well, in conjunction with, assembling a good coaching staff and implementing a good system. 

Canada’s second team, vice-versa, can easily matchup with any other countries best team.

Spoiler

Huberdeau - Taraves - Konecny

Batherson - Giroux - Verhgaehe

Hagel - Thomas - Kyrou

Reilly - Stephenson - Scheifele

HM: Horvat, Schenn, Toffoli

Reilly - Burns

Parayko - Hamilton

Dunn - Weegar

HM: Sprugeon, Pulock, Letang, Montour, Powers, Chabot

Kuemper

Fleury

Hill

HM: Binnington, Skinner

Italics = Can make it on the A-team  

Well... I really don't see the point of constructing a B-team here.  I want to see two A-teams go at each other.  I guess you're trying to prove the point that Team Canada is so deep they can win the gold medal twice over?  Since we don't have an Olympic roster template to work off, you'd have to fantasy two teams from scratch.  Ditto for Team USA.

Whatever.  I'll bite.  Don't worry too much about who made the A-team and who got cut.  This is a question of depth.  Great FWD, solid DEF, and great GOA, compared to Canada's great FWD, great DEF, and okay GOA.

Spoiler

Gaudreau - Matthews - (M)Tkachuk

Robertson - (J)Hughes - Keller

(B)Tkachuk - Eichel - Thompson

(J)Miller - Pavelski - Tuch

HM: Larkin, Connor, Kreider, Guentzel

(Q)Hughes - Fox

Slavin - McAvoy

Werenski - Jones

HM: Hanifin, Skjei, Petry

Hellebuyck

Oettinger

HM: Demko

So now the B-Team.  Let's see if this is any good:

Spoiler

Lee - Nelson - Boldy

DeBrincat - Beniers - Schmaltz

Zegras - Compher - Terry

Zucker - Trocheck - Coleman

HM: Kane, Wheeler, Boeser, Garland

Gostisbehere - Marino

(K)Miller - Jensen

Sanderson - Pesce

HM: Martinez, McCabe, Roy

Gibson

Swayman

HM: Campbell, Quick

Honestly, if this team played in the NHL, it's a very solid team that could easily win the cup.  The way it's constructed it's not built for offense but it is built with a whole bunch of reliable players.  If you iced this in the Olympics... I think it has a chance of winning gold.  And it's definitely not going to just get rolled over by your Canadian B-team.  

Again, I think this is missing the point of my original point (that American hockey has a long, rich culture that's distinct from Canada), but this was a fun exercise.

6 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

We are the best at hockey and the Yankees can suck pucks. 

• Haha 2

Elite high end game breaking talent down the middle:

1st line:  McDavid

2nd line:  MacKinnon

3rd line:  Bedard (assuming he lives up to what he should be)

4th line:  Crosby

No country can match up down the middle like that.

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Elite high end game breaking talent down the middle:

1st line:  McDavid

2nd line:  MacKinnon

3rd line:  Bedard (assuming he lives up to what he should be)

4th line:  Crosby

No country can match up down the middle like that.

unrelated but i never thought i'd ever see crosby on a 4th line... weirdly makes me kind of sad to look at.

goes to show how time has flown by and how quickly we've all gotten older through it.

• Huggy Bear 1