The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

American guy reacts to just how good we truly are at hockey..

iceman64

21 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Did you ever notice how out of the current Canadian teams we have 3 American captains and only 2 Canadian captains...

Quit this gloating.

That's because most are signed to USA teams, and I can gloat if I f'n well want, we even invented hockey so, don't like it? Too bad, so sad.. :P

45 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

That's because most are signed to USA teams, and I can gloat if I f'n well want, we even invented hockey so, don't like it? Too bad, so sad.. :P

So where'd did you get this idea that hockey was invented by Canadians?  It simply wasn't.  Canadians developed ice hockey as an organized sport in Montreal, but less organized forms of the game were developed in Northern Europe and also by various First Nations.

I also mentioned earlier how the Americans are already starting to catch up to us in talent, both quantity and quality.  We have our own history, and they have theirs.  Bragging about it just makes us seem pathetic.

7 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

So where'd did you get this idea that hockey was invented by Canadians?  It simply wasn't.  Canadians developed ice hockey as an organized sport in Montreal, but less organized forms of the game were developed in Northern Europe and also by various First Nations.

I also mentioned earlier how the Americans are already starting to catch up to us in talent, both quantity and quality.  We have our own history, and they have theirs.  Bragging about it just makes us seem pathetic.

First, I don't care what Americans are "starting to do" 

It's been Canadian's paving the road to what hockey is today, better for you? Simply go back and look at all the American teams over the years and tell me how many Canadians captained their teams? And then ask yourself why that is? 

And you seem pathetic not to get the point.. which you clearly don't... 

14 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

We Americans are ok with letting you all have ice hockey. It's not like you can compete anywhere else...:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

We Americans are ok with letting you all have ice hockey. It's not like you can compete anywhere else...:rolleyes:

Thats kinda my point.

Your country is 10x our size.

Your top atheles go into other sports.

If the most popular sport in America was hockey. Canada would have a real challenge. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

First, I don't care what Americans are "starting to do" 

It's been Canadian's paving the road to what hockey is today, better for you? Simply go back and look at all the American teams over the years and tell me how many Canadians captained their teams? And then ask yourself why that is? 

And you seem pathetic not to get the point.. which you clearly don't... 

So what's your point, then?  That Canadians are superior than Americans in hockey?  Does that really matter that much?  Why can't you just be proud of your own hockey culture and let American hockey fans be proud of their own culture?  What is this whole "we're better than you" nonsense?

We don't live in the past, man.  The league now consists of only 41% Canadians and it keeps going down.  As of now, Canada is still the king of hockey but the rest of the world (and especially the United States) has begun to catch up.   And that's okay.  Just look at our team.  Aside from Pettersson all our main players are American: Hughes, Demko, Miller, even Boeser/Garland.  The best Canadians on our team are Anthony Beauvilier and Tyler Myers.  

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

21 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Tell that to your girls.  We keep losing to them in the World Championships.  We might have the best players in Poulin/Fillier but your team is stacked from top to bottom.

Very true, but I was considering overall between men and women, and Olympic medals

43 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Very true, but I was considering overall between men and women, and Olympic medals

For men, I think team USA is firmly the second best nation in the world.  The amount of young talent being developed is quite remarkable.  And that talent is coming from everywhere now, not just the northeast states.  I also think the Miracle on Ice is the biggest Cinderella run in Olympic hockey history - you'll always have that.

For women, it's surprising how your team usually gets the better of us at Worlds but not in the Olympics.  At this point, given the rosters, I would consider team USA the favourites going into tournaments.  I guess it's that much sweeter when we beat you.

• Cheers 1