The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some idiot says there should be 5-year mandatory licence re-testing in BC lol

Nucklehead22

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

https://bbybulletin.ca/f/burnaby-resident-proposes-mandatory-5-year-licence-re-testing

For a safer society and a reduction in road mishaps, one Burnaby resident, Nick Batistic, is suggesting that all motorists should be mandated to retake the road test at each five-year license renewal phase. 

"I have held the opinion for some time that we would have safer roads and fewer accidents if all drivers were required to retest at the five year licence renewal. Do away with renewals ― everyone has to pass a road test in order to renew their licence," says Batistic.

This proposition, says Batistic, "Is not aimed at creating hurdles for drivers but to ensure safety on the roads and the predictable reaction of motorists."

The unique challenge of instructing new drivers highlighted an alarming observation. It was discerned that the majority of motorists do not consistently adhere to road rules. This lack of compliance makes it exceedingly difficult to impart driving instructions to novices, as they can't depend on the other drivers to react in a predictable manner on the road.

Recent incidents underscore the breadth of this issue, extending beyond mere motorists. An encounter last Friday, involving an elderly, handicapped lady on a red scooter crossing Noel Drive at Lougheed, serves as a case in point. Batistic, waiting to make a right turn onto Lougheed in his pickup truck, noted that the lady was looking to cross the pedestrian crossing that ran across his path, despite a red light and a "Don't Walk" signal on her end.

Having observed her waiting for the Walk signal, Bastistic says he was trying to decide whether to make his turn before or after a single car coming from the opposite direction. Unexpectedly, the woman on the scooter attempted to cross in front of him. This abrupt action could have led to a devastating accident had Batistic decided to take his turn at that moment. Despite his legal right to make the turn, the blame would have inevitably fallen on him, emphasizing the need for regular, comprehensive retesting of all road users.

"The outcome could have been different, possibly deadly, underscoring the vital importance of stricter and regular testing of drivers' understanding and adherence to road rules," he said further. Adding, "This incident illustrates just how fortunate some are to navigate the roads safely each day. For a safer future, regular reassessment of drivers' skills and understanding of road rules is crucial."

Edited by Nucklehead22

• Nucklehead22 changed the title to Some idiot says there should be 5-year mandatory licence re-testing in BC lol

Nick's on crack. There's no need to retest every 5 years. The majority of people are good drivers who get loose with some of the rules, like coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. 

Once someone is getting into their twilight years, late 70s, I think a testing schedule should be created to address the decline of faculties.

As well, a simple swap of licences is all that's required when you come to BC from anywhere else is the world. That's it. You could have had numerous driving infractions in the other location, but hey thanks for the $70-100 bucks for the licence, here's your BC one. But what else do you expect from a company that licences the drivers it also insures?

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nick's on crack. There's no need to retest every 5 years. The majority of people are good drivers who get loose with some of the rules, like coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. 

Once someone is getting into their twilight years, late 70s, I think a testing schedule should be created to address the decline of faculties.

As well, a simple swap of licences is all that's required when you come to BC from anywhere else is the world. That's it. You could have had numerous driving infractions in the other location, but hey thanks for the $70-100 bucks for the licence, here's your BC one. But what else do you expect from a company that licences the drivers it also insures?

As an ex truck driver/equipment operator. I can safely say that the graduated licensing with new drivers was a great idea. Where it fell short was the commercial class’s 1 thru 4. Drivers striving for classs 1 should be limited to a lesser class ( 3 with or without air endorsement) held until proven competent.  With class 4 you should have to hold the class 4 limited (11 passengers max) until proven adequate to drive a bigger bus (more passengers) Some would argue that the lesser licencee would be hampered at the job he’s striving for. I disagree. If your incompetent with the lesser class your certainly not ready for combination vehicles. Or larger buses But there’s way to many drivers out there that shouldn’t be any where near a semi. ( see  humbolt broncos incident). Graduated licensing through out !! 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

I see less and less people using signals lights I also see people using their signals and other drivers not responding to the others signalling ,almost as if their thinking that person isn’t going to turn he must have left his so signal on. Also the right hand rule at 4 way stops is all but gone by the way side.  The % of immigrant drivers who aren’t familiar with comparative  stringent  legislation than what their used to , is higher than ever. This is not me being racist it’s an observation of a retired truck driver. You’d have to be blind not to see it. 

9 minutes ago, chon derry said:

As an ex truck driver/equipment operator. I can safely say that the graduated licensing with new drivers was a great idea. Where it fell short was the commercial class’s 1 thru 4. Drivers striving for classs 1 should be limited to a lesser class ( 3 with or without air endorsement) held until proven competent.  With class 4 you should have to hold the class 4 limited (11 passengers max) until proven adequate to drive a bigger bus (more passengers) Some would argue that the lesser licencee would be hampered at the job he’s striving for. I disagree. If your incompetent with the lesser class your certainly not ready for combination vehicles. Or larger buses But there’s way to many drivers out there that shouldn’t any where near a semi. ( see  humbolt broncos incident). Graduated licensing through out !! 

Those driving the largest vehicles on the road, which are always the most dangerous when driven improperly, should be the ones under the most scrutiny, but also paid commensurately. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Those driving the largest vehicles on the road, which are always the most dangerous when driven improperly, should be the ones under the most scrutiny, but also paid commensurately. 

Totally. There is a situation of driver confidence or complacency coupled with time sensitive delivery. That push’s an operator into lousy driving habits. 

The one that gets me is that Class 5 drivers don't have to do any medical and eye testing until well into their senior years.  Whereas Class 1, 2, 3, and 4 drivers have somewhat regular testing.   The only  reason I got glasses is because I just failed an eye test when getting my Class 4.  

Some middle aged, overweight guy with failing eyesight can drive his lifted F350 with a 24 foot travel trailer with no issue.  

There are plenty of drivers out there that medically should have some restrictions.   Yet, it's only professional drivers that have to face any real scrutiny. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Luckily self driving cars should fix all this before too long.

Once they are in you can make it very hard to get a license to drive "manually".

That’ll be fun. Winter driving in the lower mainland already comes to screeching halt. Something autonomous vehicles have dramatically failed on is ice/snow/ heavy rain.  There’s a reason its been as slow coming as it has. I expect they’ll be autonomous trucking first in Australia. In the late 70s in Saskatchewan trials were. Being done by co-op. Using 3 Up to 4 45 foot trailers coupled together with outdated converter until Btrain setup came in eliminating up to 3 kink points.  this was before 53 footers came in. They were hauling in a strait line from Saskatoon to Regina. Geography like this and Australia is the only places where it could work safely. 

Edited by chon derry

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The one that gets me is that Class 5 drivers don't have to do any medical and eye testing until well into their senior years.  Whereas Class 1, 2, 3, and 4 drivers have somewhat regular testing.   The only  reason I got glasses is because I just failed an eye test when getting my Class 4.  

Some middle aged, overweight guy with failing eyesight can drive his lifted F350 with a 24 foot travel trailer with no issue.  

There are plenty of drivers out there that medically should have some restrictions.   Yet, it's only professional drivers that have to face any real scrutiny. 

Commercial driver requirement is a doctors physical Every 2 years after 30. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Totally. There is a situation of driver confidence or complacency coupled with time sensitive delivery. That push’s an operator into lousy driving habits. 

4:45 am Leave Powell River in your commercial truck, heading for Saltery bay

5:30 am leave Saltery Bay ferry terminal, onboard the boat for 40 minutes, plus a few minutes to disembark/unload the ferry

6:15 leave Earl Cove terminal heading for Langdale, an hour and 20 minutes "easy drive"-but don't take that long or the Langdale boat might be overloaded.

8:40 onboard boat going to Horseshoe Bay, onboard for 40 minutes, plus a few minutes to unload

9:25 leave Horseshoe Bay terminal head into the city

9:45- now in North Van around the Lions gate bridge

5 hours on the road, nothing dropped off or picked up.

pick up and drop off (say 2 hours in the city)

now 11:45

Get back to Horseshoe Bay now about 12:30

2:25 on board and heading for Langdale

3:10 on road heading for Earl Cove

4:30 arrive at Earl cove

6 pm onboard boat going to Saltery

6:45 arrive at Saltery Bay, on road heading for Powell River

7:15 arrive back at the truck yard, get out of truck and go home.

Looks like a 14.5 hour day to me.

repeat Monday to Friday.

also seems over the 13 hr limit, to me.

partial explanation for this is- pretending that while on the ferry, they aren't 'working' although they are still in charge of their cargo and vehicle.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gurn said:

4:45 am Leave Powell River in your commercial truck, heading for Saltery bay

5:30 am leave Saltery Bay ferry terminal, onboard the boat for 40 minutes, plus a few minutes to disembark/unload the ferry

6:15 leave Earl Cove terminal heading for Langdale, an hour and 20 minutes "easy drive"-but don't take that long or the Langdale boat might be overloaded.

8:40 onboard boat going to Horseshoe Bay, onboard for 40 minutes, plus a few minutes to unload

9:25 leave Horseshoe Bay terminal head into the city

9:45- now in North Van around the Lions gate bridge

5 hours on the road, nothing dropped off or picked up.

pick up and drop off (say 2 hours in the city)

now 11:45

Get back to Horseshoe Bay now about 12:30

2:25 on board and heading for Langdale

3:10 on road heading for Earl Cove

4:30 arrive at Earl cove

6 pm onboard boat going to Saltery

6:45 arrive at Saltery Bay, on road heading for Powell River

7:15 arrive back at the truck yard, get out of truck and go home.

Looks like a 14.5 hour day to me.

repeat Monday to Friday.

also seems over the 13 hr limit, to me.

partial explanation for this is- pretending that while on the ferry, they aren't 'working' although they are still in charge of their cargo and vehicle.

There’s a 175 km radius around the place of marshalling where the statute is 14.5 hours. Considered “ local driving” it may even  be more. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chon derry said:

There’s a 175 km radius around the place of marshalling where the statute is 14.5 hours. Considered “ local driving” it may even  be more. 

73 miles- about 117 klicks, from Wesview (powell river) to Lions gate bridge- as the crow flies.

And that road does not go anywhere close to straight as an arrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

Can we just just install air to ground missles at 4 way intersections? The amount of people who don’t understand/just do what they want at these intersections is ridiculous.

Blow them up. Problem solved.

Goose is super angry today.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1