The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some idiot says there should be 5-year mandatory licence re-testing in BC lol

Nucklehead22

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

I agree with the concept of age 65-70  you have to retest- lots of seniors tbh that need some work on their skills

Extra revenue generated from this should be used to reduce everyones premium

I'm 75 years old, and the shit I see from young F-150, Dodge Ram, BMW, and Volkswagen/Audi drivers makes me want to throw down spike belts. Weaving in and out of traffic, then ending up at the same light as me regardless.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

As an ex truck driver/equipment operator. I can safely say that the graduated licensing with new drivers was a great idea. Where it fell short was the commercial class’s 1 thru 4. Drivers striving for classs 1 should be limited to a lesser class ( 3 with or without air endorsement) held until proven competent.  With class 4 you should have to hold the class 4 limited (11 passengers max) until proven adequate to drive a bigger bus (more passengers) Some would argue that the lesser licencee would be hampered at the job he’s striving for. I disagree. If your incompetent with the lesser class your certainly not ready for combination vehicles. Or larger buses But there’s way to many drivers out there that shouldn’t be any where near a semi. ( see  humbolt broncos incident). Graduated licensing through out !! 

Yep, 18 wheelers hurtling down the freeway in the fast lane.

• Like 1

Just now, johngould21 said:

How about the Costco parking lot, which I just came from?

Well, I don’t shop there, so I can’t speak to that.

However, as a pedestrian, I have been nearly hit by vehicles so many times I cannot count and other times, the drivers block the walkway at intersections because they don’t stop in time. 

I swear when Surrey drivers see the walk signal, they think it means run over the pedestrian as fast as possible. 

12 minutes ago, Gurn said:

73 miles- about 117 klicks, from Wesview (powell river) to Lions gate bridge- as the crow flies.

And that road does not go anywhere close to straight as an arrow.

If say a produce delivery driver left a warehouse in burnaby and got on the gibsons ferry and the Lang dale ferry and the other one. ( forget). And then did it on return I don’t know if you could exempt the time on ferry off overall time behind wheel ?  The other reality of it. Getting off at horseshoe bay the likely hood of getting your hr log checked in that heavy traffic is low. Where the concern is , is places past say Prince George 8 hrs north of van. Places like Smithers 4,5 hours west of pg. or ft St. John. Or in reverse of that. It’s why you see trucks in rest areas sleeping just outside of hope or chilliwack  homeward bound/west bound. Because their houred  out and have to go through port Mann scales.  there’s many scales strategically placed in the province at around the 12 hr mark away from the lower mainland. Vanderhoof  is a good example. In the middle of nowhere. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

If say a produce delivery driver left a warehouse in burnaby and got on the gibsons ferry and the Lang dale ferry and the other one. ( forget). And then did it on return I don’t know if you could exempt the time on ferry off overall time behind wheel ?  The other reality of it. Getting off at horseshoe bay the likely hood of getting your hr log checked in that heavy traffic is low. Where the concern is , is places past say Prince George 8 hrs north of van. Places like Smithers 4,5 hours west of pg. or ft St. John. Or in reverse of that. It’s why you see trucks in rest areas sleeping just outside of hope or chilliwack  homeward bound/west bound. Because their houred  out and have to go through port Mann scales.  there’s many scales strategically placed in the province at around the 12 hr mark away from the lower mainland. Vanderhoof  is a good example. In the middle of nowhere. 

My dad was a log hauler, and 10-12 hours days was the norm back in the day. Which I doubt much has changed, since in that industry.

• Like 1

My dad was a log hauler, and 10-12 hours days was the norm back in the day. Which I doubt much has changed, since in that industry.

Long haul is 13.5  driver returns home nightly is considered local and could be 14.5 or longer depending on the task or actual miles logged it can be far longer in some situations ,I drove for 31 years. Drive taxi now. But am slowly getting out of that too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Well, I don’t shop there, so I can’t speak to that.

However, as a pedestrian, I have been nearly hit by vehicles so many times I cannot count and other times, the drivers block the walkway at intersections because they don’t stop in time. 

I swear when Surrey drivers see the walk signal, they think it means run over the pedestrian as fast as possible. 

Stop signs and cross walks are just suggestions to some drivers.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

Long haul is 13.5  driver returns home nightly is considered local and could be 14.5 or longer depending on the task or actual miles logged it can be far longer in some situations ,I drove for 31 years. Drive taxi now. But am slowly getting out of that too. 

I must have miscalculated, he would leave the house sometimes around 4:30am, and get home between 5 and 6 pm, other than bar nights, when he would do a double shift.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chon derry said:

My dad drove truck.  Later in his driving days, he worked in town in a warehouse and did local P&D.  Even then, there were the occasional times where they would have to take an empty trailer down to Quesnel to switch with the driver coming up because that driver was running out of hours and wouldn't make it to PG.

I must have miscalculated, he would leave the house sometimes around 4:30am, and get home between 5 and 6 pm, other than bar nights, when he would do a double shift.

It’s funny you say that. In the late 70 s  in my late teens when I started driving truck Friday paydays we would have a few beers at the freight warehouse. The boss would buy it for the crew. Now it’s illegal to serve alcohol at any work place  where’s drivers licences are required. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

My dad drove truck.  Later in his driving days, he worked in town in a warehouse and did local P&D.  Even then, there were the occasional times where they would have to take an empty trailer down to Quesnel to switch with the driver coming up because that driver was running out of hours and wouldn't make it to PG.

Ah yes  P&D. It didn’t take me long to upgrade my licence to 3 air to get out of the warehouse. Mondays and Thursday’s where Canada Packer days ( circle T lines edm) which meant short hips , sides of beef 1/4 sides. And once a year they slaughtered bulls. Those were 2 man jobs.  so your in pg ?  I spent some time there with Clark freight ways in the late 80s. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

It’s funny you say that. In the late 70 s  in my late teens when I started driving truck Friday paydays we would have a few beers at the freight warehouse. The boss would buy it for the crew. Now it’s illegal to serve alcohol at any work place  where’s drivers licences are required. 

I had a short frig under the sales counter and come Friday afternoon we would pop a few. Started to get nervous when one of my guys was

abusing it. The it became a pub night with a dinner, once a month. That was much better. 

Mandatory testing? Tell me how that will work? They already have a cognitive test that are hard to pass for seniors. I remember a alcoholic who had lost his license and just kept driving. RCMP would catch him and he started spending weekends in jail. It didn't end his problem. Tell me how seniors in rural areas will get bye when they cannot drive? No food or meds. Again I know some seniors who kept driving without a license.  

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 1