The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some idiot says there should be 5-year mandatory licence re-testing in BC lol

Nucklehead22

1 hour ago, canuckfromlangley said:

How about if you are responsible for causing an accident. Maybe then you should have to retest. Even small fender benders.

Might ease congestion between 264 and 216th on Hwy 1.  The number of accidents along that straight stretch of road is astounding.  Literally multiple accidents every single day.  Everyone in a rush :mad:

Edited by Wilbur

19 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Lol at thinking 65 is old.  The majority of bad drivers I see are all 16-40

As someone who lives in one and drives in two other retirement communities that is just not entirely true. A good amount of elderly drivers have dangerously slow reaction times or are too scared to drive safely. There are some bad young driver but out this way the seniors are far worse. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

As someone who lives in one and drives in two other retirement communities that is juts not entirely true. A good amount of elderly drivers have dangerously slow reaction times or are too scared to drive safely. There are some bad young driver but out this way the seniors are far worse. 

bad-asian-driver_o_1410021.jpg.f53f322d6e8609d255c9854679ada161.jpga trip to Richmond or surrey is literally an eye opener……

My bro got rear ended by a 91year old a couple months ago. She hit the gas pedal instead of brake. Few years ago a 75 year old drove through the wall of a store I was managing. He put it in drive instead of reverse. 

Re-testing is not the worst idea. 

That said, it would have to be implemented with convience.

Once every 5 years. No cost. You get 6 months to schedule your test. Maybe make the tests virtual ( simulation unit ) so there is less hassle.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Richmond is just a shit show of cracker jack issued licenses. 

In all seriousness Surrey is a shit show of licences handed out to supposed professional truck drivers by supposed  professional driver training schools, when you dig deeper into it their friends of friends or relatives. See the humbolt broncos  accident. Disgusting !!!!! 

• Cheers 1

Just now, chon derry said:

In all seriousness Surrey is a shit show of licences handed out to supposed professional truck drivers by supposed  professional driver training schools, when you dig deeper into it their friends of friends or relatives. See the humbolt broncos  accident. Disgusting !!!!! 

Also sad but true. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, chon derry said:

I see less and less people using signals lights I also see people using their signals and other drivers not responding to the others signalling ,almost as if their thinking that person isn’t going to turn he must have left his so signal on. Also the right hand rule at 4 way stops is all but gone by the way side.  The % of immigrant drivers who aren’t familiar with comparative  stringent  legislation than what their used to , is higher than ever. This is not me being racist it’s an observation of a retired truck driver. You’d have to be blind not to see it. 

I am familiar with the right hand rule at uncontrolled intersections, but at 4 way stops the driver who came to a stop first at the intersection has the right of way, regardless of who is on whose right. That was definitely the case when I received my professional class licence a half century ago. Has this changed since then?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I am familiar with the right hand rule at uncontrolled intersections, but at 4 way stops the driver who came to a stop first at the intersection has the right of way, regardless of who is on whose right. That was definitely the case when I received my professional class licence a half century ago. Has this changed since then?

2 drivers simultaneously pull up to a 4 way uncontrolled stop with 4 stop signs the driver on the right has right of way. It also applies the same with a flashing red 4 way stop. Obviously the first to get to the intersection is first to go. But the right hand rule is supposed to be in effect at all uncontrolled intersections. Whilst simutainiously coming to the stop. 

Edited by chon derry

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

My bro got rear ended by a 91year old a couple months ago. She hit the gas pedal instead of brake. Few years ago a 75 year old drove through the wall of a store I was managing. He put it in drive instead of reverse. 

Re-testing is not the worst idea. 

That said, it would have to be implemented with convience.

Once every 5 years. No cost. You get 6 months to schedule your test. Maybe make the tests virtual ( simulation unit ) so there is less hassle.

Years back, an older gal also hit the gas rather than brake, killing a dude that was running as an MLA for the Duncan area.

Squished him into a storefront.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Richmond is just a shit show of cracker jack issued licenses. 

Keep in mind that about 10-15 years back, it was discovered that a few driving inspectors, at the Richmond driver testing office, where being paid to pass people.

This scam had been going on for years.

The government decided to not call back all the people the inspectors had passed and have them re test.

Too expensive, they said.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

As someone who lives in one and drives in two other retirement communities that is just not entirely true. A good amount of elderly drivers have dangerously slow reaction times or are too scared to drive safely. There are some bad young driver but out this way the seniors are far worse. 

65 isnt old.

11 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Really?  I go the gym 5 times a week at 6am.  elderly LMAO.

65 isn't considered  elderly ....maybe 30 years ago it was.

Thats awesome.

I'm just telling you that 65 is the first age that is considered elderly. Google 'what age is elderly' or 'is 65 old'

I fight father time too. I hear he's undefeated, but I've had a look around and don't see any other worthy opponents. 

I'm 49, also in the gym at 6 am, every weekday and do 10ks on Sundays. 

Just last week I scored the best time in a group of guys half my age at a peace officer physical attributes test.

Keep at it man.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Age is relative.

to a 10 year old 65 is ancient, "did they have phones and tv back then Grandpa?"  territory.

I trained Karate with a guy that was 85.

Oldest practicing Karateka in Canada. Was still moving well. 

At 85, he fell off his roof when he was fixing it. He landed on his head/shoulders. He had no major injuries and was back in the dojo within a week. 

He was also a Qigong master.

He proves that knowing your body and treating it properly pays off. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1