The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some idiot says there should be 5-year mandatory licence re-testing in BC lol

Nucklehead22

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

"Grandpa, how come people couldn't see in colour back then?"

"did you all get new eyes or something?"

We never had television here until 65.CBC only  My mother had this funky rainbow coloured sheet over the black and white screen. No cable vision until 69,70ish 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thats awesome.

I'm just telling you that 65 is the first age that is considered elderly. Google 'what age is elderly' or 'is 65 old'

I fight father time too. I hear he's undefeated, but I've had a look around and don't see any other worthy opponents. 

I'm 49, also in the gym at 6 am, every weekday and do 10ks on Sundays. 

Just last week I scored the best time in a group of guys half my age at a peace officer physical attributes test.

Keep at it man.

49 ... I wish lol..  Google means nothing

• Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, chon derry said:

We never had television here until 65.CBC only  My mother had this funky rainbow coloured sheet over the black and white screen. No cable vision until 69,70ish 

I was 12 when my grandma bought her first colour t.v.-46 yrs ago

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Young people have no clue,

youth is wasted on the young. lol

I first knew I was 'getting old .....   er', when I caught my self referring to the new hire 30 year olds, as kids.

Fortunately, with the preservatives I eat, I should live until at least 150, maybe 160.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

49 ... I wish lol..  Google means nothing

While my brain disagrees on your technical understanding of time and labels...my spirit says this man is correct in the way he views things. 

Indomitable spirit.

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Yes, Global always refers to younger folks than me "elderly". If they're elderly, what does that make me?

Global means nothing.

No wait, that's google. 

I say we do away with the ageist labels. 

Older than elderly? I think that I will call that ...awesome. You are at awesome age. 

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2023 at 1:31 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

65 isnt old.

On 6/13/2023 at 2:58 PM, bishopshodan said:

It's considered elderly.

I think where a misunderstanding comes from when broaching this subject is. I get where your coming from with your convo about exercise etc. But don’t you think think a concept of “ been there done that couldn’t possibly exist ? Because I can assure you I have. In fact I’m still there. So the concept of you not understanding this is because your not a youthful version of a 65 year old you … yet. And when your closer to said age you may well take umbrage to someone younger than yourself saying similar things. Smithers joe or Rupert KDB could vouch for my physical youthful appearance. You say your 49. Do you not think that I never felt this way when I was 49 ? Feeling a certain way should never be felt as being unique. I mean I was 49 in 2008 how long ago was that? Not that long.  And between 2008 and today I certainly don’t look any different I don’t think or act any different. But I am far more defensive of my age at 64 than I was at 49. It’s like my lack of understanding of something that transpired before my own recollection of things prior to around 1962 (3yrs old) which is as far back as I can remember. Beyond that is a concept I can’t grasp. Which is where you are in terms of relating to someone older than yourself. I mean you yourself know when your talking to someone younger than yourself about a subject and it becomes apparent to you that the person doesn’t really grasp said conversation. I mean to you it would be obvious. But to the other person he may well be totally oblivious. Cheers this is meant only to be my observation and no offence should be taken. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

56 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I think where a misunderstanding comes from when broaching this subject is. I get where your coming from with your convo about exercise etc. But don’t you think think a concept of “ been there done that couldn’t possibly exist ? Because I can assure you I have. In fact I’m still there. So the concept of you not understanding this is because your not a youthful version of a 65 year old you … yet. And when your closer to said age you may well take umbrage to someone younger than yourself saying similar things. Smithers joe or Rupert KDB could vouch for my physical youthful appearance. You say your 49. Do you not think that I never felt this way when I was 49 ? Feeling a certain way should never be felt as being unique. I mean I was 49 in 2008 how long ago was that? Not that long.  And between 2008 and today I don certainly don’t look any different I don’t think or act any different. But I am far more defensive of my age at 64 than I was at 49. It’s like my lack of understanding of something that transpired before my own recollection of things prior to around 1962 (3yrs old) which is as far back as I can remember. Beyond that is a concept I can’t grasp. Which is where you are in terms of relating to someone older than yourself. I mean you yourself know when your talking to someone younger than yourself about a subject and it becomes apparent to you that the person doesn’t really grasp said conversation. I mean to you it would be obvious. But to the other person he may well be totally oblivious. Cheers this is meant only to be my observation and no offence should be taken. 

No offense taken.

I'm sure you are in great shape. I have no reason to not believe that. You always seem very straight forward and honest.

My quote you posted was me just informing him that age 65 is the first year of being considered elderly. I did not make that up. It is easy to research.

I know that poster has been there and done that....because he is still doing it. The man works out 5 days a week. I dont think he and I had any misunderstanding. He talked of his health before I mentioned mine. I complimented him, a few times actually, in my posts. I also went on to tell a story of an 85 year old friend...that was literally still kicking ass. As in, he trained in the same dojo as me. 

I'm not sure if maybe you are reading into it a bit much? 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

No offense taken.

I'm sure you are in great shape. I have no reason to not believe that. You always seem very straight forward and honest.

My quote you posted was me just informing him that age 65 is the first year of being considered elderly. I did not make that up. It is easy to research.

I know that poster has been there and done that....because he is still doing it. The man works out 5 days a week. I dont think he and I had any misunderstanding. He talked of his health before I mentioned mine. I complimented him, a few times actually, in my posts. I also went on to tell a story of an 85 year old friend...that was literally still kicking ass. As in, he trained in the same dojo as me. 

I'm not sure if maybe you are reading into it a bit much? 

No just generalizing. Usually when I broach a subject with someone who’s age I’m unsure of I’ll add in something from the past to gauge a reaction example a popular poster on here ( a hard shelled high hanging tropical fruit) which I won’t name. I’ve had numerous convos With him even PMs. There is a clear generational gap that exists. He’s very knowledgeable but falls short on it with reference to history. Understandably. A recent example of favourite Canucks.  it was a list that clearly omitted anyone past the early 90s. I questioned it and said something to the effect that the list doesn’t even reach the half way mark. This went unanswered and I left it at that. Being in the north and having lived in van (79, 88 ) I’m pretty up on a lot of things lower mainland. I see a lot of lowermaind land centric posting almost as if anything outside of or east of chilliwack doesn’t exist. This coming from the younger posters. It’s just an observation. Younger people are very educated but at the same time seemingly living in a very small nurtured bubble world. Without any desire to expand upon it with trying to learn about it rather than just go with what you know whereas I’ve always been very inquisitive about everything. And a desire to learn every aspect of the subject that’s captured my attention ,re- the history of said subject. I guess it’s an old fashioned way of looking at things? 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

No just generalizing. Usually when I broach a subject with someone who’s age I’m unsure of I’ll add in something from the past to gauge a reaction example a popular poster on here ( a hard shelled high hanging tropical fruit) which I won’t name. I’ve had numerous convos With him even PMs. There is a clear generational gap that exists. He’s very knowledgeable but falls short on it with reference to history. Understandably. A recent example of favourite Canucks.  it was a list that clearly omitted anyone past the early 90s. I questioned it and said something to the effect that the list doesn’t even reach the half way mark. This went unanswered and I left it at that. Being in the north and having lived in van (79, 88 ) I’m pretty up on a lot of things lower mainland. I see a lot of lowermaind land centric posting almost as if anything outside of or east of chilliwack doesn’t exist. This coming from the younger posters. It’s just an observation. Younger people are very educated but at the same time seemingly living in a very small nurtured bubble world. Without any desire to expand upon it with trying to learn about it rather than just go with what you know whereas I’ve always been very inquisitive about everything. And a desire to learn every aspect of the subject that’s captured my attention ,re- the history of said subject. I guess it’s an old fashioned way of looking at things? 

All good. 

I'm the youngest of four.

My big sis turns 60 next year. My sibilings are a bunch of breeders so I have 8 nephews and 2 nieces betwen them. My mum is a very active 78 year old and lives in my granny  awesome-age suite. 

So, I have a lot of ages that I am around. I lived in the city for 25 years the country for the rest. I'm switching careers, but in the last 3 I have been timber framing with an ex-roughneck and ex-logger. Before that I ran a group of licensed retail where I employed people from 20 to 68 years old ( 68 yr old was a marathon runner).

What I am getting at it that I have been around for my very very very young 49 years. I am surrounded by all ages and different kinds of folks in many different areas of my life.

I try not to judge based on age. Honestly, I get schooled by lots of folks ...of all ages. 

But what started our sharing is that I mentioned 65 is considered elderly. It is, according to all sources that I can find. 

BTW, I think ageism is a real thing and will be a bigger issue in the future. Part of our theme is that people are healthier for longer. Employers, for example, must make sure they dont discriminate.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

All good. 

I'm the youngest of four.

My big sis turns 60 next year. My sibilings are a bunch of breeders so I have 8 nephews and 2 nieces betwen them. My mum is a very active 78 year old and lives in my granny  awesome-age suite. 

So, I have a lot of ages that I am around. I lived in the city for 25 years the country for the rest. I'm switching careers, but in the last 3 I have been timber framing with an ex-roughneck and ex-logger. Before that I ran a group of licensed retail where I employed people from 20 to 68 years old ( 68 yr old was a marathon runner).

What I am getting at it that I have been around for my very very very young 49 years. I am surrounded by all ages and different kinds of folks in many different areas of my life.

I try not to judge based on age. Honestly, I get schooled by lots of folks ...of all ages. 

But what started our sharing is that I mentioned 65 is considered elderly. It is, according to all sources that I can find. 

BTW, I think ageism is a real thing and will be a bigger issue in the future. Part of our theme is that people are healthier for longer. Employers, for example, must make sure they dont discriminate.

Guaranteed it’ll be A thing as boomers get up there.  like I said on a personal basis i was never defensive of my age at 49. But am so now, probably an unconscious defence mechanism kicking in to protect my youthfulness I don’t know I can’t explain that one? . My wife works at the hospital here. As did my mother and sister. The supervisor 70. Was forced to retire. She went along with it but the ol girl knew something they didn’t they even went as far as promoting a replacement for her needless to say the HEU fought for her position and she’s happily back much to everyone else’s happiness. 65 isn’t a forced retirement age. 

• Cheers 1

@bishopshodan my older brother was into rock and roll in the late 60s and still is at 71  he’s lives in burnaby ,belongs to the burnaby hot rod club. Ironically his music was what got me onto it , my love for it has long surpassed his. But I owe my knowledge of its history to him. 

• RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1