The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] low-risk UFA signings to buy some time

47 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

If there are no reasonable trades available by July 1, these moves fill positional needs at RD, LD and 3C, while remaining flexible for when better options are available:

1. Re-sign Noah Juulsen to a 1 year, one way deal at league minimum. Quinn likes playing with him, so we capitalize on his ability to produce well with replacement-level partners.  Any injuries will provide short looks for Johansson and Woo.

2. Sign UFA Noel Acciari, 2 years x $1.5M. One of the few right shot options, who can PK and loves to hit. He has some injury history, which works out okay, as it will give other players like Sasson, Åman and Räty short auditions at 3C. 

3. Sign UFA Robert Hägg, 1 year x $800k. A decent shutdown defensemen with size, who will block shots. Gives Myers a predictable partner that compliments his game, and can help build his value for a trade. Allows Hirose to come up when he’s ready.

Kuz - Petey - Beau

Mik - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Acciari - Podkolzin

Joshua - Åman - Högs

PDG

Hughes - Juulsen

OEL - Hronek

Hägg - Myers

Wolanin Johansson

Demko

Martin/Silovs

Im in favor of the strategy.

we should not be giving away any more picks this year, nor make any short term moves that we'll be punished for long term

Only thing i wonder is if juulsen is up to the task of being hughes partner

id rather have bear there

• Cheers 2

Yes to all of those.  Liked what Juulsen brought, and Acciari with Garland/ Podkolzin looks promising since the two wingers are both good playmakers, and Noel's got the hands to finish off some of their passes (he had 14 goals this past season).  Above all, having safety net partners for OEL (Hronek) and Myers (Hagg/ Hirose) already make the bottom 2/3 of the defense look much better, esp. for cheap to get Hagg.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

If there are no reasonable trades available by July 1, these moves fill positional needs at RD, LD and 3C, while remaining flexible for when better options are available:

1. Re-sign Noah Juulsen to a 1 year, one way deal at league minimum. Quinn likes playing with him, so we capitalize on his ability to produce well with replacement-level partners.  Any injuries will provide short looks for Johansson and Woo.

2. Sign UFA Noel Acciari, 2 years x $1.5M. One of the few right shot options, who can PK and loves to hit. He has some injury history, which works out okay, as it will give other players like Sasson, Åman and Räty short auditions at 3C. 

3. Sign UFA Robert Hägg, 1 year x $800k. A decent shutdown defensemen with size, who will block shots. Gives Myers a predictable partner that compliments his game, and can help build his value for a trade. Allows Hirose to come up when he’s ready.

Kuz - Petey - Beau

Mik - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Acciari - Podkolzin

Joshua - Åman - Högs

PDG

Hughes - Juulsen

OEL - Hronek

Hägg - Myers

Wolanin Johansson

Demko

Martin/Silovs

Only thing is I dont think Juulsen is good enough to play on the top spot with Hughes. Would rather someone more experienced/better (maybe Ethan Bear as stop gap, boost his trade value with Hughes then ship out). But very much agree on signing cheep depth players to strengthen the roster than going after big fish in FA. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Only thing is I dont think Juulsen is good enough to play on the top spot with Hughes. Would rather someone more experienced/better (maybe Ethan Bear as stop gap, boost his trade value with Hughes then ship out). But very much agree on signing cheep depth players to strengthen the roster than going after big fish in FA. 

You had proposed Schenn & Hagg in another thread, which would be solid.

6 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

You had proposed Schenn & Hagg in another thread, which would be solid.

Yeah there are no many options out there for cheap shutdown RD's that can play effectively on the top pair. Unless we make a trade and likely would not be cheap. Holl could be another UFA option but even him I think may be too expensive probably looking for 3+ million X 3 years.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Do you think Pysyk makes it to UFA?

31 year old depth D coming off an achilles injury....yes I do. And I think we could sign him at/near league min. And he'd be a solid gamble to take at that price IMO.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather go with stopgaps like this and let next season go how it may than give up assets because management is impatient. The cap will come off, we just have to be willing to wait if the cost to move out larger chunks of cap is too high.

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

31 year old depth D coming off an achilles injury....yes I do. And I think we could sign him at/near league min. And he'd be a solid gamble to take at that price IMO.

Sounds like a good value signing. 

Cheers

• Cheers 1

Juulsen goes from maybe Abby's 3rd best defenceman to our top pairing defenceman in the NHL? He's not ready. I know everyone on CDC drools over him because he plays physical and hits, but you have to do a lot more to be able to play against top team's top lines in the NHL and his skating or passing or defensive awareness is nowhere near good enough for top pairing minutes, even if Quinn is protecting him.

Acciari is great but will probably get re-signed by Toronto, he was huge for them, but I wonder if Kampf is available - surely one of the 3 Toronto centers will be available and they were all pretty solid in the playoffs, defensively and on the PK so we should certainly target them, and I think any one of them could be had cheaply.

I really like Hagg but again, we have a lot of good bottom pairing defencemen. None are really that strong and physical which makes him attractive, but we have to think about Hirose and Rathbone and what their plans are. Hirose signed to play on the Canucks, not necessarily in Abby, and Rathbone must be waiver eligible which makes things tricky. Either could be Myers' partner next year, I'd lean towards Hirose because of how smooth he looked last year but let's see who's better in training camp. I'd much prefer a physical guy like Hagg in our lineup but then Hirose and Rathbone just sit in the press-box. Hagg hasn't played a full season for a while too which makes me a bit suspect about how good defensively or skating-wise he really is.

I know these are all nice cheap budget moves and I think you're spot on with the 3C kind of player we need. I'd argue we just need a bit more quality on defence to make this a playoff team but of course to get there we need cap space, and to get cap space, we most likely have to move a winger or Myers, and to do that we probably have to add a sweetener (3rd or 4th round pick or Rathbone).

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Juulsen goes from maybe Abby's 3rd best defenceman to our top pairing defenceman in the NHL?

No, he’d be a temporary, replacement-level partner to our 1A, who plays a complimentary style. 

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's not ready. I know everyone on CDC drools over him because he plays physical and hits, but you have to do a lot more to be able to play against top team's top lines in the NHL and his skating or passing or defensive awareness is nowhere near good enough for top pairing minutes, even if Quinn is protecting him.

He’s already filled in next to Hughes and looked good there. RT has said Quinn likes playing with him.

He works as a stop gap, just like he did after we traded Schenn. 

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

No, he’d be a temporary, replacement-level partner to our 1A, who plays a complimentary style. 

He’s already filled in next to Hughes and looked good there. RT has said Quinn likes playing with him.

He works as a stop gap, just like he did after we traded Schenn. 

I love when you suggest even someone better than Juulsen, like a Peeke or a Lyubushkin as a temporary, stop gap solution to play next to Hughes and get nothing but:

"NOOTTT FIIrrrstTTT PaiirrRRR DZZZZ!"

Well no excrement, Shirlock :lol:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I love when you suggest even someone better than Juulsen, like a Peeke or a Lyubushkin as a temporary, stop gap solution to play next to Hughes and get nothing but:

"NOOTTT FIIrrrstTTT PaiirrRRR DZZZZ!"

Well no excrement, Shirlock :lol:

Especially if you follow the team even loosely, and have seen other 5/6D like Luke Schenn succeed there for long stretches.