Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils re-sign Jesper Bratt

16 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Okay you like NJ

I get it

Good luck to you guys

Hopefully we see you in the playoffs 

You don't have to be a fan of a team to have an objective view of their assets 

We would be very fortunate to have a young winger putting up that kind of offense 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is bigger and meaner than Bratt. He is not his listed weight anymore. And he has a bit of a mean streak when people try and go after him. Similar to Pavel Bure. 

Getting hit from Bratt is alot different than getting hit from Mark Stone. Size maters when you are doing the hitting. Just ask Tkackuk what it feels like to get hit from someone who’s 220lbs. 

Sure, you need balance. But New Jerseu doesn’t have that. They would have been completely destroyed if they had played Vegas. Worse than Florida. 

For the record, New Jesery’s average weight this season was 197lbs, while Florida’s was at 195lbs. They were also an inch shorter than the Devils. 

The Devils didn’t lose in the playoffs because of their size. They beat the Rangers, who on average are 10 pounds heavier than them. They loss because of their lack of experience. They were the youngest team, in the playoffs this year.

Bratt can also be a bit feisty. He dropped the gloves with Gunnarsson last year, after he hit Hughes. 

Edited by shiznak

21 minutes ago, shiznak said:

For the record, New Jesery’s average weight this season was 197lbs, while Florida’s was at 195lbs. They were also an inch shorter than the Devils. 

The Devils didn’t lose in the playoffs because of their size. They beat the Rangers, who on average are 10 pounds heavier than them. They loss because of their lack of experience. They were the youngest team, in the playoffs this year.

Bratt can also be a bit feisty. He dropped the gloves with Gunnarsson last year, after he hit Hughes. 

Bratt is a small and scared. He is a perimeter player, as are many of the Devil forwards. The will miss the playoffs next season. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, shiznak said:

Bratt had more hits in the playoffs than Severson, Graves, Marino, Mercer, and Tatar.

Maybe he should have focused on offense. Would you be happy with one of our young players scoring 1 goal in 12 playoff games, or would you think that that's a red flag? I wouldn't be ecstatic about signing that player a month later for 63 million over 8 years. Maybe that's just me

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Maybe he should have focused on offense. Would you be happy with one of our young players scoring 1 goal in 12 playoff games, or would you think that that's a red flag? I wouldn't be ecstatic about signing that player a month later for 63 million over 8 years. Maybe that's just me

He’s 24 and like many Devils players. It’s their first experience in the playoffs. I think you can give him a bit of a pass. The Sedins had underwhelming runs during their first few years in the playoffs. 

Edited by shiznak

27 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Could be because NJ management actually watches him play every game and think he is worth this money instead of simply commenting on stats, especially for just 12 games in the playoffs. Bratt is basically a point per game player for the last 2 seasons, contract is justified imo. And from what little highlights I've seen of him, he checks pretty hard. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, shiznak said:

He’s 24 and like many Devils players. It’s their first experience in the playoffs. I think you can give him a bit of a pass. The Sedins had underwhelming runs during their first few years in the playoffs. 

Our core played phenomenally in the playoffs, much younger than Bratt was, and maybe the bar for me was set too high. 1 goal in 12 playoff games for a 24 year old for me is a red flag. Not one that would make me trade the kid, but also makes me wonder if I'd be willing to pony up 63 million. Just to think Hughes as a rookie dman outscored Bratt by a significant margin, playing against much stronger competition (sorry but Carolina and Rangers were not as strong as STL and Vegas were in 2020), and Hughes is paid the same. 

Maybe this contract just makes Hughes' contract look even more like a steal.

20 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Could be because NJ management actually watches him play every game and think he is worth this money instead of simply commenting on stats, especially for just 12 games in the playoffs. Bratt is basically a point per game player for the last 2 seasons, contract is justified imo. And from what little highlights I've seen of him, he checks pretty hard. 

NJD management doesn't know what it takes in the playoffs. They've been on the outside looking in, like we have, for nearly a decade. If they watched his playoff performance and are happy with it, that's their problem. ~10% of their cap on 1 goal in 12 games. It's an interesting decision. 

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is bigger and meaner than Bratt. He is not his listed weight anymore. And he has a bit of a mean streak when people try and go after him. Similar to Pavel Bure. 

Getting hit from Bratt is alot different than getting hit from Mark Stone. Size maters when you are doing the hitting. Just ask Tkackuk what it feels like to get hit from someone who’s 220lbs. 

Sure, you need balance. But New Jerseu doesn’t have that. They would have been completely destroyed if they had played Vegas. Worse than Florida. 

That's probably not the team that's going to be in the finals going up against Vegas and the likes - NJD still really young and figuring out their team.  Their key guys are early 20s.  Players have still to fill out and there will likely be more changes as they identify their needs and who is worth to be there long term. 

Fitzgerald last off-season was talking of them having too many of the same players up front - adding Meier is a 1st step.  He wanted a big D-corps and made the adjustments to get there.

They seem to have enough flexibility/assets to make adjustments.  With NJD now on the rise it should also be easier to attract/retain players.  Sure looks like they have a bright and long future ahead of them.

13 hours ago, The Lock said:

What would really be handy actually would be a comparison of each team and incumbent over the past 10 years based on size and seeing if the winning team was actually bigger than the incumbent team.

Otherwise, just basing it on 1 playoffs is rather meaningless.

Since 2011's Bruins cup win the following is the accurate average height and weight of every cup winning team in the NHL

2011 Bruins:  6 foot 1, 202 pounds 28.5 age

2012 Kings:  6 foot 2 209 pounds 26.85 age

2013 Hawks: 6 foot 2 203 pounds 27.85 age

2014 Kings: 6 foot 2 208 pounds 27.25 age

2015 Hawks: 6 foot 1 197 pounds 28.23 age

2016 Pens:  6 foot 1 196 pounds 27.34 age

2017 Pens:  6 foot 1 195 pounds 28.71 age

2018: Caps:  6 foot 1 202 pounds 27.18 age

2019: Blues:  6 foot 2 203 pounds 27.10 age

2020: Bolts:  6 foot 1 205 pounds 28.10 age

2021 Bolts: 6 foot 2 205 pounds 28.87 age

2022 Avs:  6 foot 1 199 pounds 27.51 age

2023 Knights: 6 foot 2 203 pounds 28.40 age

As one can see, aside from the Penguins and their 4 HOF playing core of Letang, Malkin, Crosby and Fleury (5 if you include Kessel who will be in there at this rate) it was only the Avs and Hawks who tipped the scales under 200 pounds.

When we consider this and weight it against Vancouver the Canucks in the same order of time, the Canucks have only 4 times been heavier than 200 pounds, and won 2 presidents trophies during that time.  They have averaged 6 foot 1 inch in height while topping 6 foot 2 5 times and since 2014/2015 have consistently been 27.5 years of age or younger.  BUT!  Have averaged 196 pounds as a team since 2016/2017 with the past 3 seasons seeing the Canucks as one of the smallest teams by weight in the league at an average 193 pounds.

When we "base things off of one playoffs" yes it is meaningless.  But when we look back and see that only 2 of the cup winning teams in this last 12 years have been smaller; and both of those teams had a minimum of 4 future hall of famers on them in the Hawks (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook) and the Pens (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Kessel) we can see that yes, in fact teams that are in fact heavier and do have players that play a heavier style of game do in fact win out in the playoffs over smaller teams.

In fact, ironically.  Only 2 teams went to the finals being the larger team in the matchup and lost in that time.  One being the 2011 Vancouver Canucks

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

You don't have to be a fan of a team to have an objective view of their assets 

We would be very fortunate to have a young winger putting up that kind of offense 

Have to agree with this.  I do not cheer for New Jersey or Columbus or Anaheim at all.

But as a fan of the sport it is hard to not look at what they have built or are building and not be a tad excited or even envious that we have a club that does not have that depth of assets, picks or prospects

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Have to agree with this.  I do not cheer for New Jersey or Columbus or Anaheim at all.

But as a fan of the sport it is hard to not look at what they have built or are building and not be a tad excited or even envious that we have a club that does not have that depth of assets, picks or prospects

But we had a "horse whisperer" in charge of the amateur drafting for 7 or 8 years prior to Alvin/JR!.  Where are all these "blue chippers" that didn't get drafted as a result of a high draft position?:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Interesting that the Devils are taking Meier to arbitration though.  One year $8+ million?  

With that being the most likely outcome.  What can the Devils do to shed some cap space to make all this happen after the Bratt signing?

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

But we had a "horse whisperer" in charge of the amateur drafting for 7 or 8 years prior to Alvin/JR!.  Where are all these "blue chippers" that didn't get drafted as a result of a high draft position?:ph34r:

Ironically, this team appears to have done better in the mid rounds than it did in the early rounds of the draft.  Barring Petey Hughes Boeser and McCann our best prospects and most consistent hits were after the 2nd round

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Our core played phenomenally in the playoffs, much younger than Bratt was, and maybe the bar for me was set too high. 1 goal in 12 playoff games for a 24 year old for me is a red flag. Not one that would make me trade the kid, but also makes me wonder if I'd be willing to pony up 63 million. Just to think Hughes as a rookie dman outscored Bratt by a significant margin, playing against much stronger competition (sorry but Carolina and Rangers were not as strong as STL and Vegas were in 2020), and Hughes is paid the same. 

Maybe this contract just makes Hughes' contract look even more like a steal.

NJD management doesn't know what it takes in the playoffs. They've been on the outside looking in, like we have, for nearly a decade. If they watched his playoff performance and are happy with it, that's their problem. ~10% of their cap on 1 goal in 12 games. It's an interesting decision. 

Last time I check both the 2023 Hurricanes and Rangers had a better regular seasons record than the 2020 Blues and Knights.

12 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Last time I check both the 2023 Hurricanes and Rangers had a better regular seasons record than the 2020 Blues and Knights.

Last I checked the regular season doesn't mean shit and the best team in regulation of all time got beat by the 8 seed this year. You think Carolina or Rangers were cup favorites? STL were the defending champs and Vegas were the favorites to win with Tampa. 

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Interesting that the Devils are taking Meier to arbitration though.  One year $8+ million?  

With that being the most likely outcome.  What can the Devils do to shed some cap space to make all this happen after the Bratt signing?

Meier and NJD are negotiating a long term deal but they don't know how long it will take to reach an agreement.  Both sides want an 8 year deal.  Fitzgerald held a presser today re the Bratt signing.

NJD filing for team elected arbitration in this 1st window was merely to by-pass the qualifying offer process where he has a 10M QO - deadline to file was yesterday.  It allows them to retain his rights without having the risk of him signing that 10M QO.  The hope is obviously to get a deal done before arbitration.  

The award in arbitration can't be less than 85% of his last salary - if it gets to arbitration he'd be awarded at least 8.5M.  

Edited by mll

17 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Last I checked the regular season doesn't mean shit and the best team in regulation of all time got beat by the 8 seed this year. You think Carolina or Rangers were cup favorites? STL were the defending champs and Vegas were the favorites to win with Tampa. 

Rangers had the reigning Vezina winner, and added two veteran Stanley Cup winners to their roster.

Carolina loss two of their top 6 players and still managed to take the Panthers to their limit. A couple of bounces their way, and they could’ve easily swept the Panthers in 4 games.

Edited by shiznak

12 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Rangers had the reigning Vezina winner, and added two veteran Stanley Cup winners on their rosters.

Carolina loss two of their top 6 players and still managed to take the Panthers to their limit. A couple of bounces their way, and they could’ve easily swept the Panthers in 4 games.

Carolina took Florida to the limit, by getting swept? Injuries are part of the deal, Ekblad was injured in round 1 with something like 4 fractures and 2 tears...

The reality is NJD played 2 playoff teams (they are good teams) that were nowhere near contenders. When comparing to the 2020 blues and knights.... it's obvious who was the harder challenge, both skillwise and physically.

Didn't the rangers score 3 goals in the last 4 games or something?

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Carolina took Florida to the limit, by getting swept? Injuries are part of the deal, Ekblad was injured in round 1 with something like 4 fractures and 2 tears...

The reality is NJD played 2 playoff teams (they are good teams) that were nowhere near contenders. When comparing to the 2020 blues and knights.... it's obvious who was the harder challenge.

Didn't the rangers score 3 goals in the last 4 games or something?

The 2020 Blues were recovering from Covid and didn't really want to be part of the bubble - the reward for losing was to go home.  Armstrong himself explained that his team wasn't into it and that he couldn't blame them because so many were still feeling the after effects of Covid and players were really concerned for their families and wanted to be back home.   Minnesota veterans voted largely against the return to play that Guerin had to address the room to remind them that it's their job.  

Horvat had 10 goals in those playoffs - never came anywhere close to making that kind of impact in a traditional playoff setting where every team is focused on winning.