The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think the Ukrainian War Thread should have been moved to a private Forum?

J.I.A.H.N

Do you agree that the Ukrainian War forum should have been moved into a private invitation only club?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, chon derry said:

I was following the thread and was involved at the very time it all went down. I must have missed this parroting propaganda thing as that would support my claim of my own lesser knowledge. But I did quote you about who I thought it was. But you never answered me back. ( clam ) but I guess who ever he was is moot anyway. 

Clam is my usual guess there for sure.  Definitely fit the profile.  These trolls all follow a very similar pattern and once you see it a couple of times you recognize it instantly, as you did yourself by suspecting clam.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, chon derry said:

. ( clam )

mmm I wonder?

Possible, for sure.

If it was, he must be trying for some kind of "I've been turfed/banned' record. Not sure who keeps track of that kind of thing, but it is the interweb, so someone, somewhere has an eye on it I'm sure.

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

mmm I wonder?

Possible, for sure.

If it was, he must be trying for some kind of "I've been turfed/banned' record. Not sure who keeps track of that kind of thing, but it is the interweb, so someone, somewhere has an eye on it I'm sure.

A new laptop or phone with a new email address would do it. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It wasn’t SN’s decision to move the thread out of off topic.  You have the wrong initials. The person who ordered moving the thread out of off topic has the initials FA…

The point of the matter is that the messengers  need to realize and feel the heat for who ever above them feels immune to the grievance..

That decision was the wrong one,  yet the “messengers” seem happy to continue although all things are normal..

The “KEEP CALM , CARRY ON” attitude is repulsive, and indignant.

What should have happened is TWO NEW Thread / Topics

Make a thread FOR politics,

and a thread FOR Religion….   Then it’s contained, and has a venue to be discussed.

Politics and Religion rise in every thread ,  but the fear of discussing it is bigger than the topics themselves.

Give them a venue and those topics HAVE a place to go .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

You're fine.  Asking questions is a good thing.  New posters going straight for the thread upon joining and parroting Kremlin propaganda is crossing the line.  The poster in question was likely a dupe of a previously banned poster.

One dupe poster has made an entire Thread that been heavily active and participated positively on be moved so it’s not seen by everyone or anyone on the entire CDC .

I’m surprised or maybe not ,  that those who “run” this show buckled so easy for that poster..      That perhaps says more about those who “run” it .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The point of the matter is that the messengers  need to realize and feel the heat for who ever above them feels immune to the grievance..

That decision was the wrong one,  yet the “messengers” seem happy to continue although all things are normal..

The “KEEP CALM , CARRY ON” attitude is repulsive, and indignant.

What should have happened is TWO NEW Thread / Topics

Make a thread FOR politics,

and a thread FOR Religion….   Then it’s contained, and has a venue to be discussed.

Politics and Religion rise in every thread ,  but the fear of discussing it is bigger than the topics themselves.

Give them a venue and those topics HAVE a place to go .

I understand your point Sam.  However, the board is monitored by ownership, so the administrator has no say in what happens to threads.  This board and this website is owned by the Vancouver Canucks and its ownership.  From what I have been told it is monitored regularly...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I understand your point Sam.  However, the board is monitored by ownership, so the administrator has no say in what happens to threads.  This board and this website is owned by the Vancouver Canucks and its ownership.  From what I have been told it is monitored regularly...

They’ve created a bigger issue   ..  which is now a bigger problem for themselves..

and Grieving this is issue is not the problem, the fact No one is listening,  because we’re playing their game here hoping it wil blow over  is asinine.

Theyve let one poster push them into a corner , because of the fear that has created for them.

There are no pragmatic minds running CDC ,

just turtles.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

They’ve created a bigger issue   ..  which is now a bigger problem for themselves..

and Grieving this is issue is not the problem, the fact No one is listening,  because we’re playing their game here hoping it wil blow over  is asinine.

Theyve let one poster push them into a corner , because of the fear that has created for them.

There are no pragmatic minds running CDC ,

just turtles.

I think it was trolls that shut down all of the political and religious threads from what I remember.  It's unfortunate.  Off Topic is basically just other sports now and some real estate discussions.  I don't really participate much anymore in Off Topic.  

What they could do is just make this a hockey forum and then start another forum for Off Topic.  Maybe something not actually linked to the website and the Canucks.  Not sure how that would work though...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think it was trolls that shut down all of the political and religious threads from what I remember.  It's unfortunate.  Off Topic is basically just other sports now and some real estate discussions.  I don't really participate much anymore in Off Topic.  

What they could do is just make this a hockey forum and then start another forum for Off Topic.  Maybe something not actually linked to the website and the Canucks.  Not sure how that would work though...

But their  reaction to Trolling at the level it was , in a thread discussing an active war , was uncalled for.

We basically got turfed from public viewing, review and participation to a Club tucked away in the Glossary Section of CDC.

This is a War . An active one ,  people are dying in these moments I write these words.

Its appalling that the CENSORSHIP of making that move ,  is taking away active news that effects the free world.

Thats where they got this wrong.

and the fact they let ONE poster ,  or any other posters have that manipulated control over them shows how weak CDC ownership is.         

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

But their  reaction to Trolling at the level it was , in a thread discussing an active war , was uncalled for.

We basically got turfed from public viewing, review and participation to a Club tucked away in the Glossary Section of CDC.

This is a War . An active one ,  people are dying in these moments I write these words.

Its appalling that the CENSORSHIP of making that move ,  is taking away active news that effects the free world.

and the fact they let ONE poster ,  or any other posters have that manipulated control over them shows how weak CDC ownership is.         

I dont think it was the troll.

I think some people with power want to control things. For a change.

I say this because the first clamp down came after the RVW thread started. A lot of old school posters thought we wouldn't be able to have civil discussions in a thread like that due to it being a problem in the past, not unlike the god thread. However, it was a very calm convo going on. As was some of the recent religious discussions.  

Then out of nowhere the threads were closed, along with the Trump thread.

Weaklings.

We will remember.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If it's simply the trolls then they should be more active in monitoring the thread.  Moving it to the Adults table was just the easy way out to avoid having to monitor it.  Someone could always volunteer to monitor that thread specifically and get rid of the trolls instantly before it becomes a problem...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If it's simply the trolls then they should be more active in monitoring the thread.  Moving it to the Adults table was just the easy way out to avoid having to monitor it.  Someone could always volunteer to monitor that thread specifically and get rid of the trolls instantly before it becomes a problem...

.. so you see,   They are in charge , and dismantling CDC by their own decision making.

If they would interact more fluidly,  rather than feel they are the Power to Control,

it would lessen the hardship they’ve created themselves.

#oxymoronic .     They actually are doing what the real trolls hope to do.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can volunteer to do that :-)

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RomanP said:

I can volunteer to do that :-)

@-SN- We officially have a volunteer to monitor the Ukraine War thread. You can move it back to Off Topic. This has been approved by Elias Pettersson. Please advise Mr. Aquilini that if the thread is not moved back in the next 24 hours then Mr. Pettersson will be taking his talents elsewhere.  :)

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

The war thread is political for the most part.

If we can't talk politics in Off Topic then they made the right move.

Politics and Religion should have its own Topic ,  the reason being they entangle themselves in every thread on CDC.

Discussions on Poiitics  and Religion should be embraced and encouraged,  but each need their separate thread.

Discouraging , or simply not allowing it creates the scenario for any Troll to dismantle, delete or close any thread he wishes to get a rise out of.

Instead of Navigating it, and controlling the topics as a separate Issue. 
CDC “staffers” have created a template for Trolling and Propagandists to complete their objectives.

In this case , The UKraine War Thread was moved to a Club open to invites only,  nobody , or very few in that Club believe it should have moved from public domain.

Only a few who are Mods, seem to agree it was OK.

That move was never Invited .

Meanwhile , it’s still open game for Trolls to Close or derail any existing thread in the “Public” domain by bringing up Politics and Religion.

Thats conundrum CDC staff and Mods have created.

On 6/17/2023 at 11:59 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

So which poster caused another thread to bite the dust?

It was my fault.  I used Lotus 1 2 3 instead of Excel for a few spreadsheets in that thread.  Result -- it was locked away.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Politics and Religion should have its own Topic ,  the reason being they entangle themselves in every thread on CDC.

Discussions on Poiitics  and Religion should be embraced and encouraged,  but each need their separate thread.

Discouraging , or simply not allowing it creates the scenario for any Troll to dismantle, delete or close any thread he wishes to get a rise out of.

Instead of Navigating it, and controlling the topics as a separate Issue. 
CDC “staffers” have created a template for Trolling and Propagandists to complete their objectives.

In this case , The UKraine War Thread was moved to a Club open to invites only,  nobody , or very few in that Club believe it should have moved from public domain.

Only a few who are Mods, seem to agree it was OK.

That move was never Invited .

Meanwhile , it’s still open game for Trolls to Close or derail any existing thread in the “Public” domain by bringing up Politics and Religion.

Thats conundrum CDC staff and Mods have created.

I agree.  I love to talk politics being a political junkie since I was 10 years old and met Tommy Douglas.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I agree.  I love to talk politics being a political junkie since I was 10 years old and met Tommy Douglas.

I appreciate you seeing my point of veiw,.

I feel strongly about this.

The fear that CDC has , and the “control by canceling” is the main objective of Trolls and Propagandists.

Seems like they’ve fallen for it for quite some time.