The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] MATTA TO VAN

Provided Benson doesn't drop to 11... what about this?

To Van

Matta

to Det

Boeser

Matta's a 6'2 LD on a cheap 3M contract for 2 more years.  We drop down a couple spots and can probably use that pick to get a Willander or a Simashev. Matta was excellent with Hronek this year. We also get a 2nd this year to shore up the pipeline.

Detroit moves up 6 spots to get a bigger swing in the draft and also get Boeser who's still a young top six forward that they can keep or parlay into future assets.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

To Van

Matta

to Det

Boeser

Matta's a 6'2 LD on a cheap 3M contract for 2 more years.  We drop down a couple spots and can probably use that pick to get a Willander or a Simashev. Matta was excellent with Hronek this year. We also get a 2nd this year to shore up the pipeline.

Detroit moves up 6 spots to get a bigger swing in the draft and also get Boeser who's still a young top six forward that they can keep or parlay into future assets.

This is a really deep draft class. I can't see us moving out of the #11 spot unless it's for a solid RD prospect or young player.

• Cheers 1

I'd do it, lots of good players will be at #17. Maybe even pick up Yager, Honzek or Moore in that spot, and then the 2nd would fetch a decent D (Lindstein, Dragicevic, Strbak).

Hughes - UFA (Mayfield?)

Maatta - Hronek

36 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

To Van

Matta

to Det

Boeser

Like it but what the chances Yzerman trades with us after getting fleeced in the Hronek deal? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

I would prefer to keep #11.  Reading on other fan sites, Detroit needs a scorer, so if we hold off on getting #11, I wonder if we could do Maatta + Rasmussen (massive forward with 3rd C potential and PK experience, 50%+ faceoff winning percentage too), plus maybe a pick if they're desperate.  The two of them combined would cost around $4.5 million ($3 million for Maatta, Rasmussen for $1.46) and would fill two needs in our roster.     

• Like 1

I would only drop down to 14 or 15 from 11, no more, and that's if we still have at least three players we like and feel are in the same category as what's available at 11.  Going all the way down to 17 means that we are dropping down another tier.  

@Phil_314 I don't think that Detroit wants to trade Rasmussen anymore, but I'd love to get him.  If he's available, then I would do 11 + Rathbone for Rasmussen and Matta, or replace Rathbone with Hoglander, or any other winger they want except for Podz and Kuzmenko. 

20 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I would only drop down to 14 or 15 from 11, no more, and that's if we still have at least three players we like and feel are in the same category as what's available at 11.  Going all the way down to 17 means that we are dropping down another tier.  

@Phil_314 I don't think that Detroit wants to trade Rasmussen anymore, but I'd love to get him.  If he's available, then I would do 11 + Rathbone for Rasmussen and Matta, or replace Rathbone with Hoglander, or any other winger they want except for Podz and Kuzmenko. 

There is zero chance Yzerboy will trade with us again after getting turned over and embarrassed by Allvin stealing Hronek. We stole their best player! And he’s only 25! Yzerboy won’t pick up when he sees its Allvin calling. He’s too scared of getting “it” again. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There is zero chance Yzerboy will trade with us again after getting turned over and embarrassed by Allvin stealing Hronek. We stole their best player! And he’s only 25! Yzerboy won’t pick up when he sees its Allvin calling. He’s too scared of getting “it” again. 

Yzerboy was probably hoping for a 2024 unprotected 1st and instead got spanked by Allvin on the deal.

Bj Spank GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

18 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yzerboy was probably hoping for a 2024 unprotected 1st and instead got spanked by Allvin on the deal.

Bj Spank GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

Not likely.  NYI had just improved their team by adding Horvat and were projected to finish better than 12th.  It's only if they completely fell apart that it would have moved over to 2024.  

• elephant 1

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Not likely.  NYI had just improved their team by adding Horvat and were projected to finish better than 12th.  It's only if they completely fell apart that it would have moved over to 2024.  

Let me have my fun with Alfie here ;) 

1 hour ago, mll said:

NYI could have finished 16, then won the lottery moving up to 6.  That was the risk for the Canucks that the pick could have moved to 2024 unprotected.  It was a small risk but the risk was there...

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

NYI could have finished 16, then won the lottery moving up to 6.  That was the risk for the Canucks that the pick could have moved to 2024 unprotected.  It was a small risk but the risk was there...

There was that chance but Detroit unlikely to have made that trade on that small hope.  They were more likely expecting the pick to be 2023 - anywhere from 13 to about 19-20 (too much ground to catch the other teams).  They likely didn't see NYI going to the final 4 or win the division.  

Pretty interesting deal, mainly because of the trade down. Maata wouldn't be my first choice for 2nd pairing LD but he's alright. We really need a bit more physical but he does have good size and has been around the block, not to forget a cup winner. Walman is really interesting, pretty similar to Maata, maybe a higher ceiling but I think they're really hot on him over there.

The picks are really interesting though, their 2nd isn't too flash but we could surely snag a decent defenceman with the 17 OA pick (I'd be thinking Willander or Simashev will be around then), and with the 2nd, we take a flyer on a defenceman like Gulyayev, Dragicevic, Bonk, Allen or Lindstein etc.

Overall great proposal though!