The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] "MAJOR Surgery"

**LONG READ** *PLEASE READ ALL THE WAY THROUGH BEFORE COMMENTING*

Stanley Cups plus on/off ice respect? 

Will NOT come from 24/7 focus on UFAs whom someone that has never heard of hockey could understand are decent options. This and last summer for VAN that is Graves, Soucy, Barbashev, O'Reilly, Klingberg, Rodrigues, etc.    Stanley Cups plus on/off ice respect will also NOT come from 24/7 focus on trades for "quality players" that fill a "positional need".

For VAN that has been Lafreniere, Dumba, Severson, Jos.Anderson, etc.   75% of the proper handling of an NHL organization in the hockey aspect is from scouting heavily and paying attention to details in players of young and old. To notice and predict what others cannot which is how someone like Steve Yzerman does what he does. It is NOT just gifted ability or being an ex-NHL star like Yzerman. But rather the mentioned scouting and focus-level. With all that in mind it is number one to be mindful with treatment of people/players. Treat them as family and truly help them to succeed which sometimes means not just doing what is best for the organization. Even if you're trading or getting rid of a player you can help to send them to a spot that fits them and/or their family personally and/or is good for them on the ice. Just always throwing around people/players/prospects like arcade tokens and then saying the old line of "just the nature of this business" is very wrong. Doing things the right way and treating everyone as family is the right thing to do but also a smart business tactic in the NHL. VAN has obviously had alot of bad things happen in every way over the years and had the Boudreau + Horvat ordeals this year. But they still seem to be going in the right direction with Rutherford, Allvin, Tocchet and all the new staff. Creating a culture on and off the ice that brings dignity and compassion. Case in point is the hirings of yes good hockey people but generally good people in Colliton, the Sedins, Samuelsson, Higgins, Komisarek, Castonguay, C.Granato, A.Foote, Gonchar. And on the ice finding "diamond in the rough" players in Kuzmenko, Hirose, McWard, Wolanin, Joshua, Aman, Kudryavtsev. I'm not saying the UFA and trade targets I mentioned are wrong or to avoid big UFAs and trades. I'm saying you really need to focus on what I mentioned in scouting and how you treat people. Our fanbase has not helped with the riots, delusional armchair GMing, or attacking management and players to do 'XYZ' but then they and media run players/people out of town. Of course not every dismissal/trade/release is solely on the fans/media but alot has been on them from delusional opinions and creating drama by looking for a scapegoat. Tortorella, Luongo, Gillis, Vrbata, Schmidt, Green, Horvat are examples. I think the entire city and organization (yes even the Aquilinis) finally understands all of this and that is evident with what I mentioned above in seeming to be heading in the right direction. *Quick example on my point on two of the targeted players I mentioned. Defensemen Severson and Graves: Severson is a sound two-way D-man but when he makes mistakes they are very clumsy ones and he lacks the poise and top-end stride to be an even better D-man. IMO he was another Myers contract waiting to happen and Columbus gave him a brutal overpay at 8 years x $6.25 million.... As for Graves just because he's a big D-man that plays alot of minutes with an edge does not mean he is some Chris Pronger-lite. Nor does it mean we should obsess over him just because we "need a D-man of his style". D-men that play alot of minutes and are big does not equate to them being great or doing the right things (Eg. Tyler Myers). I've watched Graves make some major mistakes with and without the puck that showed a serious lack of IQ and composure which is needed to be a truly sound D-man that plays 20-25 minutes nightly. All in all this is the reason for what I'm proposing and for the players I think VAN needs.

PRE - ENTRY DRAFT

Re-Signings

F Nils Hoglander

3 years | $875,000 AAV | 1-way | to RFA

D Akito Hirose

2 years | $875,000 AAV | 1-way | to RFA

G Collin Delia

2 years | $775,000 AAV | 1-way | to UFA

Abbotsford Re-Signings

F Michael Regush

1 year | $85,000 AAV | to UFA

*Sign & Trade*

D Kyle Burroughs

2 years | $1,125,000 AAV | to UFA

NJD    D Kyle Burroughs

(NJD) 2024 4th Round Pick

VAN    (NJD | 58) 2023 2nd Round Pick

With giving the pick from the Lazar trade back to NJD we essentially trade Burroughs and Lazar for this years 58th overall pick. A 6th/7th D and a 4th Line F for a 2nd is great and we got both players for free via UFA. Burroughs is put in a good place for him as he re-unites with his childhood best friend Lazar and goes to a team needing cheap gritty D-men after cap space had them lose Severson and now likely losing Graves too.

Trades

VAN    F Radek Faksa

DAL    D Tucker Poolman

F Jackson Kunz

(NYR | 119) 2023 4th Round Pick

Our 3rd Line C. This is who we should have targeted from Dallas all along and not Dickinson. Faksa has only shown fringe-3rd Line offensive production but he only just turned 29 in January and still has more upside he might tap into. 12th overall pick for a reason and it does not matter either way because we just need him to be the guy that is a thorn in the side of someone like McDavid. And his expertise is solid shutdown play anyways. He is a heady defensive C who plays very hard, is 6'3, 220 Lbs, decent top speed for a big man, can and will fight anyone, forechecks smartly. And little interesting story on his character-level, he was raised by a single mother until 11 years old which is when he also started playing actual organized hockey. He then was noticed at 11 by HC Ocelari Trinec who took him in and watched over him while paying for him to live in a hotel while he developed with their program. He lived like that and kept working until he went to the OHL at 17. Now is a full-time NHL player and happily married with a young son. Great player and a better man. Dallas does this because they want to re-sign Domi and Dadonov and have to sign Wyatt Johnston to a new deal among some others. They need cap space and Faksa has been on their trade block for a few months. Needs a little bit of a fresh start and has only 2 years left on his deal at $3.25 million per so no issues on our cap space. Dallas clears $3.25 million for their re-signings while also getting $2.5 million in cap space maneuvering from Poolman. Plus they get a prospect who is not developing that great so far but has Faksa-type potential and is in a great program at North Dakota in Kunz. They also get a mid-round pick back this year as they've lost a handful of picks to trades.

VAN    D Brenden Dillon

(WPG) 2026 2nd Round Pick

WPG    D Noah Juulsen

F Conor Garland

(NJD | 58) 2023 2nd Round Pick

The physical LHD that Allvin wants should be Dillon. I've watched him extensively and seen him do a pretty good job at being hard-nosed without taking alot of penalties and he works in the corners well. Seen him do this to even the likes of McDavid and other stars. Yes he is 32 but he has always been very healthy in his career and he actually moves well for a 6'4, 225 Lb

D-man. He is a hometown - Surrey raised boy who was still only 5'2 at 15 years old but he joined Impact Hockey Development and worked his *** off just to make Junior B in Hope. He then elevated to the WHL with Seattle after only one season and played the rest of his WHL career there. In school he additionally played volleyball, basketball, soccer and track & field and he attended a private Catholic school. My Grade 11 & 12  English teacher used to teach Brenden before moving to my high school. He spoke highly of Brenden and said he was a very nice kid. All in all Brenden Dillon is as full of character and determination as anyone and then some. He only has 1 year left on his deal at $3.9 million and he definitely could be extended for a safe 2-3 years at a hometown discount AAV. No we cannot just wait and sign him as a UFA as WPG is

re-tooling and will be trading players like him for value ASAP. They traded two 2nds for him and wind up getting the UFA rights to a young shutdown D-man in Juulsen who if he stays healthy still has some unlocked upside. They also get Garland who adds needed offensive punch and could be a home-run for them. We need to give Garland a fresh start and clear his cap plus WPG has had Garland torch them so they know what he can do. The cap change is only $1.05 million more for WPG to take on but they are trading Dubois amongst others and will have cap space.

VAN-WPG swap 2nds: WPG needs some 2023 picks re-stocked and we traded a 2026 7th in the Kravtsov trade so we get a missing 2026 pick back and keep a needed additional 2nd with our 2023 and 2024 2nds gone. Probably favours us as WPGs 2nd in 2026 is almost certainly going to be higher than NJDs 2023 2nd at 58th overall.

ENTRY DRAFT

Trades

VAN    (NYI | 49) 2023 2nd Round Pick

NYI    D Ethan Bear

(TOR | 89) 2023 3rd Round Pick

I never thought Bear was the answer to our RHD needs and even if he was/is only meant to be a 5th D-man he is too pricey for that role and for what he brings at this point. Before his shoulder injury he was asking for over his $2.2 million dollar qualifying offer and even potentially wanting an AAV in the "high 3s". He is completely oblivious to how much work he has to do to become the top four RHD that he can be if he thinks he is worth anything over $2.2 million. He is about to turn 26 so he still has ample time to develop and grow his game more but he needs to really dig in. A big curveball now though with his shoulder surgery keeping him out at least half of this coming season. I think people forget that a big reason he wanted to come here too is because of his friendship with Horvat. Him and Bo are good friends and Bo was one of the first players to stand up and speak out when Bear faced racism in Edmonton. Re-unite Bear and Horvat in NYI and give the Islanders the D-man they need. (Especially with them likely losing Mayfield). They need cap space and can use Bears LTIR cap for the first half of the season as well,

TBL    (VAN | 75) 2023 3rd Round Pick

VAN    (CHI) 2024 4th Round Pick

(TBL) 2026 7th Round Pick

TBL has only three picks in this deep draft and one is a 6th with two being 7th Round Picks. We give them our own 3rd for the listed picks in return, CHI has our 2nd next year which stings but having their 4th makes things a little better.

SJS    F Lukas Jasek

VAN    (VAN | 203) 2023 7th Round Pick

We get our own 7th Round Pick back from

SJS in exchange for the rights to

F Lukas Jasek (2015 6th Round Pick) of ours who has led the Pelicans in scoring the last two seasons in the Liiga. Late bloomer who left Utica to develop more back in home in Europe even though he was looking sound in the AHL. Does not seem like he got along with Green. This is the type of highly skilled player that SJS needs to take a chance on and they've watched him play as their prospect Adam Raska used to play with Jasek. This is the 7th Round Pick we gave up in the

Ekman-Larsson & Garland trade. (Jaseks rights expire next August).

Draft Picks

11 | 

49 (from NYI) | 

105 (from DET) | 

107 |

171 | 

203 (Re-Acquired) | 

FREE AGENCY

Releases

D Travis Dermott

D Brady Keeper

F Justin Dowling

F John Stevens

F Carson Focht

Abbotsford Releases

F Kyle Rau

D Zach Giuttari

D Chad Nychuk

F Tristen Nielsen

F Matthew Alfaro

The Nielsen one I'm sure will confuse people but consider this. One of my brothers met him at a bar/nightclub in Victoria a few months ago. Tristen was nice to my brother but Tristen was already drunk when my brother met him. And was going up to every woman in the place and bragging that he "Plays in the NHL". And my brother did not describe it in a fashion of being something not that serious or funny. Exact opposite of the things we're bringing into this organization and of the culture we're aiming for. My brother said Tristen joined his friends and him for the night and they all hung out and my brother exchanged phone numbers with him. But with the bragging/lying to every woman thing and drunk it's a case of do we really need to risk 'another Virtanen' again. Tristen sounds like a nice guy but someone who is not a mature and driven hockey player.

Like Virtanen he's just happy to play hockey and think he's a rockstar. Plus he's undersized and with his style at the NHL level will probably become someone that leads to more "Sea of Granlunds" comments.

Signings

D Luke Schenn

3 years | $2,000,000 AAV | NTC | to UFA 

F Milan Lucic 

2 years | $875,000 AAV | 1-way | to UFA

D Steven Santini

2 years | $775,000 AAV | 1-way | to UFA 

I was hesitant for awhile to recycle former D-men and in a way add to the "doing the same thing and expecting a different result" problem with VAN. But we have Hronek and another new D-man coming on the blueline now so things are different. Plus Luke Schenns character, leadership, cup-winning experience, drive to always improve, size, and great toughness is just not replaceable. He wants to be here. He wants to retire here and be close to his Kelowna home. He wants to see things through here and be apart of a potential first cup here. Toronto is struggling to re-sign him. Just bring him home and make Q.Hughes happy. Protect the young players. 3 years is probably all L.Schenn has left to squeeze out of the tank and at $2 million AAV it's somewhat cheap and also we give him the protection he wants with a full NTC. Not making it a complete NMC though allows us to play him in Abbotsford if he starts declining in 

1-2 years and his contract is just big enough that he likely will not be claimed off waivers. 

As for Steven Santini; he is the exact example I mean when I spoke of diamonds in the rough, scouting to see what others don't see, finding quality people, etc. etc.

After Lou Lamoriello traded the 2013

9th overall pick/Bo Horvat to us for

Cory Schneider, Santini was Lous next pick in the 2nd round. Analysts and Devils brass were comparing Santini to Devils legend Scott Stevens and raved about Santinis constant throwing of big hits. Santini only just turned 28 in March and I believe he is not done with carving out a full-time NHL role. He has decent agility in his skating for a big, thick, physical D-man and he is 6'2 and 210 Lbs. Has shown before that he has a heavy point shot with poise too. He is a former longtime teammate of Demko with the US National Development Team and also Boston College. He also has played with Joshua on the Blues and their AHL team in Springfield. Also played on Utica with Joshua when we merged their AHL team with the Blues so he not only has an understanding of communicating with Demko on the ice but also Joshua and a handful of our prospects. He was looking good with the Devils early in his career and then was the main piece in the P.K. Subban to NJD trade. The Predators gave him too big of a contract too soon and ended up buying him out. That seems to have thrown Santinis development off. He signed with the Blues and got some games including playoff ones in with them the last couple years but was never full-time cracking one of the deepest bluelines in the NHL with so many quality NHL D-men like Dunn, Krug, Leddy, Parayko, Faulk, Bortuzzo, Scandella, Gunnarsson all in front of him. Time to give him a fresh start and hope he can be our hidden gem-Joshua signing like last summer. To note about him as well.. His father and uncle both played NCAA hockey and his uncle opened Brewster Arena in New York and Santini played hockey non-stop there growing up. His grandfather also coached high school hockey and founded the Catholic High School Hockey League which now today is part of the Catholic High School Athletic Association.

Santini grew up with three sisters.

With Lucic.. anyone who ever has said or still does say things about his skating and/or effectiveness has zero idea what they're talking about. Even with him being 35 and losing his scoring touch, he can still get around the ice and is the most feared enforcer in the league. Even Reaves was scared to fight him last season. He always has and continues to work extremely hard on his fitness and overall game. And it never has been a case of the type of player that you say "He's big and strong and has good hands but is a weak skater". It's actually a case of him being quite a good skater for being a naturally large and stiff big strong guy. He is a hometown boy who will smack around anyone that lays a finger on Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, etc.. or any young player. I met him at a pro/junior players off-season open skate at UBC when I was 13 and Milan (in all Bruins gear) let me sit with him on the bench as I was in a Canucks jacket and hat. He got me a puck and signed it for me and was extremely soft spoken and classy. Anyone who talks down on this guy for his on ice game or for his comments on Vancouver 10 years ago needs to give their head a shake.

This is the Vancouver fanbase we're talking about and Milan had every right to be upset. First in 2011 he tried to be nice and bring the Stanley Cup for public eyes to see at an event but some lunatics got mad about that and painted graffiti all over his relatives church in Burnaby. Then in 2013 he went out with some local friends after Boston played Vancouver in VAN. And Milan was sucker punched out of nowhere. So think about that before talking down on the guy. I also used to work with his youth boxing coach who spoke greatly about the person Milan is and how Milan was winning fights the moment he entered the boxing gym.

Contract Extensions

F Elias Pettersson

8 years | $11,000,000 AAV | NMC | to UFA 

F Anthony Beauvillier

2 years | $4,500,000 AAV | to UFA 

D Brenden Dillon

2 years | $3,400,000 AAV | NMC | to UFA

F Dakota Joshua 

2 years | $1,125,000 AAV | to UFA

Trade*

TOR    G Spencer Martin

VAN    'Future Considerations' 

Martin needs a fresh start and we need room for Silovs to be Demkos backup and/or get alot of minutes in Abbotsford for another year. I have Delia re-signing as well plus we just signed Mikita Talapila so we're getting a little crowded in the crease. Martin is from Oakville, Ontario and a big part of his success in ABB and VAN a year ago was working with Curtis Sanford who is now TORs Goaltending Coach. Re-unite Martin and Sanford and do Toronto a little favour. We stole Mikheyev from them and got their 2023 3rd for L.Schenn only to likely now be taking back L.Schenn. Either way they likely are not going to be able to keep him. Let's keep relationships with other GMs healthy and do new TOR GM B.Treliving a little favour. Maybe then he won't sign so many of our players like he did in CGY!

PRE - TRAINING CAMP

*Myers bonus is paid off*

DET    D Tyler Myers

F Sheldon Dries

VAN    'Future Considerations'

This one is self-explanatory and Dries is a sweetener for Detroit taking Myers $6 million off of our hands. And Myers only has

1 year left on his current deal and Detroit desperately needs a veteran RHD of Myers style and size. They can always retain on him and flip him for a pick at the deadline if they don't make the playoffs again. Also Dries is from Michigan and used to play under DET Head Coach Derek Lalonde. 

(two seasons with the Greenbay Gamblers in the USHL)

OPENING ROSTER

Beauvillier -Pettersson- Kuzmenko

Hoglander -Miller- Boeser

Mikheyev -Faksa- Di Giuseppe

Joshua -Aman- Studnicka 

Lucic

Hughes - Schenn

Dillon - Hronek

Rathbone - Santini 

Wolanin - Woo

Demko

Silovs

Waivers

Pearson (Conditioning Stint)

Brisebois

Delia

Abbotsford

Bains -Raty- Podkolzin

McDonough -Karlsson- Klimovich                

Pearson -Sasson- Wouters

Plasek -Gatcomb- Regush 

Hirose - McWard

Brisebois - Johansson

Schmiemann - Kannok-Leipert 

Delia

Talapila 

OHL

D Kirill Kudryavtsev

F Josh Bloom

Europe

D Elias Pettersson

F Jonathan Lekkerimaki

F Vitali Kravtsov (RFA Rights)

• Wat 1

Where to start 

1) there have only been 2 sign and trade transactions in the league in the salary cap era.  Both were significantly better players than Burroughs and both were to facilitate an 8 year contract.  The concept that any team will give up value in a sign and trade for him is laughable.  Players like him can be acquired through the waiver wire. 

2) you clearly have no understanding of how LTIR works. Acquiring Poolman wouldn’t give Dallas extra cap space. so really you’re offering them nothing of value for Faksa

3) Juulsen is a UFA.  

4) no one is trading for Bear.  Certainly not a 2nd. There’s a good chance Vancouver doesn’t even qualify him 

5) I seriously doubt Dries is enough of a sweetener to get Detroit to take Myers at his full cap hit 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Like 3

Overall a step back in terms of overall team skill, and a step older.  I'd give Hirose and McWard their shot before trading for any of these D

Each line there has a player playing above their most likely ceiling level of performance.  Beulliver on the top line, Hoglander on the second, Faksa / Di Guseppe on the third.  Studinka on the fourth.  

Most moved are okay.  But also most moves are unlikely to happen.  My comments aren't so intelligent (most names are spelt wrong) here.  Just wasting time in a slow day.  

6 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Stop playing video games.

If you knew who I worked with in hockey development via scouting and coaching. And knew the hockey people I'm related to.. You'd eat your words. But you can make smart comments and think it's great to do what everyone else wants to do and overpay some UFA and do the same old ideas.

3 hours ago, CoquitlamDave said:

Overall a step back in terms of overall team skill, and a step older.  I'd give Hirose and McWard their shot before trading for any of these D

Each line there has a player playing above their most likely ceiling level of performance.  Beulliver on the top line, Hoglander on the second, Faksa / Di Guseppe on the third.  Studinka on the fourth.  

Most moved are okay.  But also most moves are unlikely to happen.  My comments aren't so intelligent (most names are spelt wrong) here.  Just wasting time in a slow day.  

Nothing about these moves is a step back. 

I watched Hirose and McWard play live last season and McWard is not ready. He needs AHL time. He was extremely scrambly and panicked with the puck. As for Hirose his skating and craftiness with breaking out the puck is fantastic. But with Allvin wanting a top four/five physical LHD and Hughes + Hronek locking up the top of the blueline. And Woo and/or Rathbone getting a chance. Plus management bringing back one or two of Schenn, Myers, Bear, Burroughs. It it better to give Hirose top minutes for awhile in Abbotsford. He also could use that to smooth out his game a little more and it's important to remember that throwing a young player into a serious role right away just because they had a good first NHL stint; is never smart nor does it help their development. Hirose does not require waivers so we need to utilize that for now with him and let him get ample ice time in ABB. It also seems that you don't know much about any of the listed forwards. Beauvilliers success last season was partly due to how well he meshed with Pettersson. Beauvillier has played extensively with Barzal and anyone will tell you that yes he needs to work on not being streaky/inconsistent. But that he is a clutch scorer who is among the quickest skaters in the league. Saying he is not a top line player is like saying Mason Raymond was not able to play on the top line... As for Hoglander he is arguably the most skilled young forward we have outside of Pettersson and management is excited with what he's been doing in Abbotsford. They are looking to give him a big chance so what's wrong with putting him on the 2nd Line and seeing if he can continue to grow? The whole point of everything is development of our young core.

As for Faksa you clearly don't watch him play and fail to realize he's been a stalwart down the middle for Dallas and is the perfect 3C to take defensive pressure off of Pettersson/Miller. Di Giuseppe worked his way back into the league and played primarily on Millers wing last season and Tocchet raved about PDGs game. Again if you think a young forward like Studnicka cannot even handle a 4th Line chance then you are delusional.

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

You didn't miss much.... ;)

Did you even read or consider the fact that I'm taking a different approach? Or should we just post and recycle the same old ideas about overpaying UFAs and overpaying in a trade for some injury-riddled C like Laughton? 
Doing things the way most people have proposed has gotten us to only making the playoffs twice in eight years.

Edited by NMHockey

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Think that we have amputated enough, maybe the club should replace the vital organs prior to the seasons start or the Patient faces an dire outcome?

Well our 3x Stanley Cup winning

President of Hockey Operations disagrees with you and agrees with me on making far more significant changes so....

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or NJD could just pay $1.2 million and sign Burroughs and not have to pay for a draft pick.

There's no way he's worth a 2nd rounder as well.

Burroughs is an under the radar type that would have interest from any and every team. Getting him already signed early plus getting their 4th Round Pick back is easily worth a 2nd for them. Read the details!

You do realize that Burroughs is a young RHD that seamlessly plays both sides, hits to hurt, protects his team, can fight, can shoot, has shown he can handle even 18-22 minutes per night, you do realize that yes? Him being a late bloomer and on league minimum the last few years also shows he can likely be had for pretty cheap on the cap. The chance of NJD finding an NHL D-man that can do everything Burroughs does at late in the 2nd Round at 58th is pretty slim. Let alone drafting a guaranteed NHL player. For them it's Burroughs & Lazar over that pick and that is Burroughs & Lazar >>>> all day.  But we need picks and more roster room + cap space and they need a D-man like Burroughs. Great trade for both teams.

35 minutes ago, NMHockey said:

If you knew who I worked with in hockey development via scouting and coaching. And knew the hockey people I'm related to.. You'd eat your words. But you can make smart comments and think it's great to do what everyone else wants to do and overpay some UFA and do the same old ideas.

Sure kid.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Where to start 

1) there have only been 2 sign and trade transactions in the league in the salary cap era.  Both were significantly better players than Burroughs and both were to facilitate an 8 year contract.  The concept that any team will give up value in a sign and trade for him is laughable.  Players like him can be acquired through the waiver wire. 

2) you clearly have no understanding of how LTIR works. Acquiring Poolman wouldn’t give Dallas extra cap space. so really you’re offering them nothing of value for Faksa

3) Juulsen is a UFA.  

4) no one is trading for Bear.  Certainly not a 2nd. There’s a good chance Vancouver doesn’t even qualify him 

5) I seriously doubt Dries is enough of a sweetener to get Detroit to take Myers at his full cap hit 

1) Both those sign and trades were immediately after the Covid seasons.

The cap has now been going back up since that first sign and trade and just went up $1,000,000 while being slated to go up significantly next season and beyond. 

If players like Burroughs could be had on the waiver wire than Burroughs would have been on waivers long ago. He stepped in due to injuries two years ago and has since carved out an NHL role and elevated his game. The fact you think NJD would not love a D-man of their style that is cheap and friends with Lazar and also they get back the 4th they gave for Lazar; all for a very low 2nd Round Pick.. THAT is laughable. 

2) You clearly have no idea what the landscape of the league is currently as Dallas has had Faksa as a trade chip for months and they NEED cap space so they don't really have a choice. Getting the Rangers 4th evens out the Lundkvist trade a little for them and gives them a decent pick back in a deep draft where they've lost multiple picks. On top of getting cap space and yes LTIR maneuvering with Poolman plus a prospect.. How is that not fair value when they have no leverage in a Faksa trade and HAVE to trade him basically.

3) I mentioned WPG getting Juulsens UFA rights so READ PROPERLY before coming after my post. That is exactly why I said 

read all the way through first at the very top.

4) No one would trade for a young two-way RHD that just played on a gold medal IIHF championship team and will start on LTIR and give cap maneuvering ability (which in NYIs case they need). Plus I said the Toronto 3rd with Bear so Bear + 3rd for a mid 2nd Round Pick is not fair? Get real.

5) Detroit has cap space. Detroit in the last few months has lost RHD in Hronek, Lindstrom, Pysyk and NEEDS a RHD of Myers size and experience level. Basically anything is a sweetener for them taking one year of Myers. A Gatorade bottle would be a sweetener at this point..