The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van min trade

I think a trade for Calen Addison of Minnesota could be done.hes a young almost 6 ft right hand defenseman Minnesota is stocked with defense and no cap space someone has to go great potential on a million contract .we send them Sasson for depth or someone similar or Sheldon Driesfor depth

Edited by Chase456
  • RoughGame 1

I don't think Minny would dump him for a random piece of our depth. I think they let Dumba walk.

Likely they'll try to resign him to some sort of bridge deal. Maybe 2 x 2 or a little more money, but doubt it'll be much more then that. Looks like he did decent in his first full season. Over 30 point pace. 

Maybe they'd trade for something like Beau (50% retained). But in general their cap situation will be tight just like Van so a deal could be tough. RHD are a premium in the league lately. 

15 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I don't think Minny would dump him for a random piece of our depth. I think they let Dumba walk.

Likely they'll try to resign him to some sort of bridge deal. Maybe 2 x 2 or a little more money, but doubt it'll be much more then that. Looks like he did decent in his first full season. Over 30 point pace. 

Maybe they'd trade for something like Beau (50% retained). But in general their cap situation will be tight just like Van so a deal could be tough. RHD are a premium in the league lately. 

They can't afford 2M.  Gustavsson needs an extension - won't be much left for the rest of the roster unless he just takes a 1-year deal but Wild are trying for 3 years.  

Addison is available but would guess for a draft pick.  Guerin admitted that it's not realistic for them to contend with the buyouts on their books.  Hopes for their window to really open up once they are off the books.  In the meantime they want more picks to grow their prospect pool for those competitive years.    

We don't need another puck-mover which is what Addison is (and a PP QB primarily).  I'd rather keep Bear.
As well, as a rule of thumb that I stick with, I think we should deal with our in-house priorities first before trying to pry guys away, otherwise richer teams might try to exploit our lack of cap space again.  Case in point, move a pricey winger (e.g. Garland/ Beauvillier), land a 3rd C (possibly Freddie Gaudreau if they're really short on money?), then re-sign Petey/ Hronek/ Bear (if we want).  We're not quite home free yet esp. when the Wild have more space than we do (even though they only have 15 guys signed).

9 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

We don't need another puck-mover which is what Addison is (and a PP QB primarily).  I'd rather keep Bear.
As well, as a rule of thumb that I stick with, I think we should deal with our in-house priorities first before trying to pry guys away, otherwise richer teams might try to exploit our lack of cap space again.  Case in point, move a pricey winger (e.g. Garland/ Beauvillier), land a 3rd C (possibly Freddie Gaudreau if they're really short on money?), then re-sign Petey/ Hronek/ Bear (if we want).  We're not quite home free yet esp. when the Wild have more space than we do (even though they only have 15 guys signed).

They just extended Gaudreau at 2.1M for 5 years.  He is for sure not going anywhere.  Doesn't really make sense to move players on bargain deals - there's no chance they can find anyone cheaper to fill that role.  

Addison risks being overpaid for the value he brings to the team.  Gaudreau, Hartman are underpaid for their worth to Minnesota - combine for 3.8M for playing top-9 C.  Not sure possible to get much cheaper than that.  

Edited by mll

15 minutes ago, mll said:

They just extended Gaudreau at 2.1M for 5 years.  He is for sure not going anywhere.  Doesn't really make sense to move players on bargain deals - there's no chance they can find anyone cheaper to fill that role.  

Addison risks being overpaid for the value he brings to the team.  Gaudreau, Hartman are underpaid for their worth to Minnesota - combine for 3.8M for playing top-9 C.  Not sure possible to get much cheaper than that.  

Yeah I was aware of that, but when it comes to positional needs I was giving an example of the type of move we should look for.