The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Sean Durzi to Coyotes for 2024 2nd-round pick

9 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Oh okay. I haven’t seen him play much. It just sounded like he’s not very good defensively. 

I don’t think he’s bad but I don’t think he’s good defensively. Average at best and below average at worst. 

He blocks shots, isn’t afraid to hit and plays both the PP and PK. Did that on a playoff team so they must have seen potential in both ends of the ice. 

Next year will be his 3rd season in the NHL so probably room to round out his game. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t think he’s bad but I don’t think he’s good defensively. Average at best and below average at worst. 

He blocks shots, isn’t afraid to hit and plays both the PP and PK. Did that on a playoff team so they must have seen potential in both ends of the ice. 

Next year will be his 3rd season in the NHL so probably room to round out his game. 

It can happen. Hughes has improved significantly.

Nice move for Arizona. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Oh okay. I haven’t seen him play much. It just sounded like he’s not very good defensively. 

He isn't the most reliable defensively.  He's a high risk high reward - very good in the o-zone but his defensive game is a work in progress.   He was forced to play on the left side for long stretches so it hasn't aided things.  

LA has their own in-house beat reporter.  Here's from their end of season review well before LA decided to trade him (was written in May).  This is from the "trending down" section.  The trending up highlights all that he brings offensively but his defensive games had holes:

As noted above, Durzi was a high-event player in how directly he impacted goals, at both ends of the ice. While he led all Kings defensemen in goals, assists and points per/60 at 5-on-5, he also led the Kings in giveaways per/60 as well. His direct actions regularly led to goals offensively, but he was victimized at times defensively as well, with turnovers at the wrong time directly impacting the team with goals against. His overall numbers don’t really paint the picture of a high-event player, but those numbers typically represent quantity not quality. Durzi might only have one of those high-event plays per game, either way. Those plays just seemed to result in a goal, for better or for worse, more often than not.

They conclude:  "Another step forward could turn a gifted offensive defensemen into a two-way contributor."

• Thanks 1

For those that havent watched much of Sean Durzi, he is trending in the Mackenzie Weegar footsteps in my opinion. 

I feel like Rob Blake jokingly picked up the Arizona call and I'm still shocked that they traded for him. 

Very good value add. He will be a big improvement for Arizona. 

If Hronek is an 8 out of 10, and Ethan Bear is a 6, Sean Durzi is a 6.5. 

I saw so many times where his giveaway/turnover went back the other way and ended up in LA's net. 

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Durzi averaged over 15:00/game in the playoffs and Woo has yet to play an NHL game. Durzi>>>Woo, and it’s not even close right now. 

Sometimes you need to distinguish between Alfie’s sober versus drunk talk, lol

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

But he is always drunk. 

And always on point. The most consistent poster on theses boards. There’s no variance or subtlety in his takes, sober, half cut, fully cut, he always delivers the goods.

Edited by zimmy
  • Cheers 1