The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] flat cap influence on UFA contracts?

After seeing Johansen at $4M, and now Hall at $6M traded for essentially nothing, is it possible we see the most reasonable round of UFA signings in awhile?

I haven’t followed every off-season as closely over the past few years, but can’t recall multiple good/decent players being given away for cap space.

Just now, Angry Goose said:

With the cap going up significantly next season, I wonder if we see more 1 year deals?

I think we will. There's a lot of guys who will bank on the fact that they will be able to get a lot better deal next season. Realistically, the cap could be as high as 95 million by the 26/27 season...maybe even a little higher.

I can't remember the exact amount that the NHL deferred for the Players from the 50/50 revenue share to allow play to resume under Covid without fans in the stands, but I believe it was over 1 billion. They have made this up faster than was originally expected by roughly 18 months (don't quote me on that, but I know it came in faster than they thought).

Under those conditions, barring a massive resurgence of Covid or anything else that were to cause a league wide disruption, we are going to see an increase, potentially in the 6 to 8 million range.

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

It is a bad crop of UFAs. A few teams are going to sign some contracts they immediately regret.
We will sign Barbashev to something too big and too long before we discover he is really a winger.  Prove me wrong PA.  

PA isn’t Benning. We won’t be in on any big number UFAs. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

PA isn’t Benning. We won’t be in on any big number UFAs. 

I will start to believe that around July 3rd but I still wouldn’t discount him doing something like trading Myers in September and then signing that UFA D that just doesn’t find a contract, like Klingberg last year, but signing that person to something oddly big and long for a UFA that had been left last man standing. 
Basically until they show me any sign that they are breaking the cycle of awful cap management, I won’t believe it. They have done nothing to convince me of that yet. 

Edited by DrJockitch

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I will start to believe that around July 3rd but I still wouldn’t discount him doing something like trading Myers in September and then signing that UFA D that just doesn’t find a contract, like Klingberg last year, but signing that person to something oddly big and long for a UFA that had been left last man standing. 
Basically until they show me any sign that they are breaking the cycle of awful cap management, I won’t believe it. They have done nothing to convince me of that yet. 

New management already has broken the Benning cycle of bad cap management. Look at the Bo trade for example. Plus their other signings are very good. The only signing IMHAO that was a bad idea was extending Boeser. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

They have done nothing to convince you?  Not that anyone cares if you are convinced or not, but they have cleared up to $12 million in cap space this summer, even though Benning's stains are still on this roster.  Allvin had no choice but to buyout OEL, the biggest disaster in Vancouver Canucks history.  He still has to deal with Conor Garland's contract that nobody else wants.  Tucker Poolman is another disaster who is luckily on LTIR.  Tyler Myers is still on the books for $6 million.  JR had no choice but to re-sign Boeser or lose him for nothing as his QO was $7.5 million.  

As for what they have done, they locked up their 2C to an $8 million team friendly deal, they traded the elephant Horvat and used that cap space to get a top 4 RHDman, who are impossible to get these days, they got Kuzmenko at 925k for free, Aman at 800k for free, Joshua at 800k for free.  They finally got a real coach who knows what he is doing who went out and hired 2 very respectable assistant coaches.  They cleaned up Abby, got a real coach down there too, and added some good prospects in Raty, Bloom, Bains, Sasson, Hirose, McWard.  They even punked us with another Elias Pettersson.  

Lots of good stuff happening here and they just got started.  I expect them to be real busy this summer.  Locking up Petey to an 8-year extension will be huge for this team...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

New management already has broken the Benning cycle of bad cap management. Look at the Bo trade for example. Plus their other signings are very good. The only signing IMHAO that was a bad idea was extending Boeser. 

Unfortunately, they had no choice but to re-sign Boeser or lose him for nothing.  They got his AAV down almost $1 million form his QO and the tradeoff was a 3-year deal.  I'm actually not concerned about Boeser, he will come around and legit wants to stay here.  If they can get rid of Beau and Garland that should take care of the wingers.  At least Boeser has some size for the playoffs...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Meh, you are over enamoured with the sheen off of PA’s head. 
We have dumped massive amounts of cap on the wing without moving any out on a team already over spending on the wing. 5M Mik, 5.5 Kuz, 6.65 Brock, 8.0 JTM. 
Only money we have moved off wing is being forced to move JTM to centre since we only had 2 NHL centres. 
We were forced into OEL buyout because of all the money spent on the wing. 
We have 2 NHL D, one great, one good and one chaos Giraffe, 2 NHL centres and a free audition in Aman who had one of the leagues worst faceoff percentages. 
We have a little flexibility now but so many holes to fill and with all those problems our dozens of expensive wingers just don’t fit together. 
How have we broken the cycle of bad cap management, I don’t see it. 
I see much better pro scouting (MUCH BETTER) and really good recruitment from outside the draft, these have been great improvements. I also like what I see in AHL and player development, not sure about the drafting yet.  But I just don’t see better cap management. 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Unfortunately, they had no choice but to re-sign Boeser or lose him for nothing.  They got his AAV down almost $1 million form his QO and the tradeoff was a 3-year deal.  I'm actually not concerned about Boeser, he will come around and legit wants to stay here.  If they can get rid of Beau and Garland that should take care of the wingers.  At least Boeser has some size for the playoffs...

Don't think there was any 'winning move' for that.  It was merely the choice of the 'lesser of two evils'.  Now if Tocchet can work his magic on Boeser, then the deal won't look so bad.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They have done nothing to convince you?  Not that anyone cares if you are convinced or not, but they have cleared up to $12 million in cap space this summer, even though Benning's stains are still on this roster.  Allvin had no choice but to buyout OEL, the biggest disaster in Vancouver Canucks history.  He still has to deal with Conor Garland's contract that nobody else wants.  Tucker Poolman is another disaster who is luckily on LTIR.  Tyler Myers is still on the books for $6 million.  JR had no choice but to re-sign Boeser or lose him for nothing as his QO was $7.5 million.  

As for what they have done, they locked up their 2C to an $8 million team friendly deal, they traded the elephant Horvat and used that cap space to get a top 4 RHDman, who are impossible to get these days, they got Kuzmenko at 925k for free, Aman at 800k for free, Joshua at 800k for free.  They finally got a real coach who knows what he is doing who went out and hired 2 very respectable assistant coaches.  They cleaned up Abby, got a real coach down there too, and added some good prospects in Raty, Bloom, Bains, Sasson, Hirose, McWard.  They even punked us with another Elias Pettersson.  

Lots of good stuff happening here and they just got started.  I expect them to be real busy this summer.  Locking up Petey to an 8-year extension will be huge for this team...

I have said lots of good things going on as well but lots of room for improvement and truly believe have made some big mistakes that I suspect are ownership and elderly president driven. 
They can do some things very well and some poorly. It is more the rule than the exception. 
I think the cap management has been atrocious with some very good deals. Again both can be true, there is a macro and micro view. 
We have signed good players to decent deals and those have boxed us into corners that we didn’t need to be in.

We now have some hard bought flexibility. Do we use it to move on from some of Benning’s mistakes, do we use it to acquire youth as PA has said or do we squander it on UFAs at a time when cap is at its most valuable. Guess we will know in a week. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1