The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Matt Irwin

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Every team signs veteran depth to call up. Pretty standard. 

I think some people are forgetting how many D men we went through last season. :lol:

Look at who we have on D right now that are vets!!! And Irwin will be another D that we will go through in and out of the line up again is your point...so why are we going in circles with this type of signing!!! 

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I doubt Carolina is giving him away. Not worth throwing away assets for 30 year old Dmen who will be looking for big paydays

Depends on what they want/market demands. Not extended, I don't think he costs the 1st +++ that CDC thinks he would. 

Irwin has been a regularin the NHL for the last 8 years. 6'2/200. The D next season is going to look a lot better and bigger than last season. I like Irwin ( kid from the Island) Soucy,  is solid and younger. Ian Cole played the 3rdmost miniuted in TB last season (I think he may well resign) lots of extra time for prospects and I really like that. No panick and time for prospects to reach their peak. It does look like Willander will have 2 seasons at BC/NCAA

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

What happened to getting younger Alvin!!!! Not a fan on this signing!!! We need better this!! This signing doesn't make any sense to me right now!!

With limited spending and you do this kind of signing...awful!!!

Let's remember this post. He might be right. Everyones pretty high on everything today. And down voting anyone with concern.

3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Let's remember this post. He might be right. Everyones pretty high on everything today. And down voting anyone with concern.

Don’t you have a proposal thread to get to so you can boost some more of your fake fan accounts you goof :bigblush:

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Haha 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

22 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

2 way scrub 

That scrub has been a regular NHL D'man for the last 8 season. I'm sorry you seem unaware of the player. One thing for sure Vcr's D is alot bigger next season and tougher

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

What happened to getting younger Alvin!!!! Not a fan on this signing!!! We need better this!! This signing doesn't make any sense to me right now!!

With limited spending and you do this kind of signing...awful!!!

Who said they were getting younger?  They have said they want to win now.

This lets a guy like Hirose get a lot of reps in the minors rather than being rushed into the big league. Winning franchises don’t put kids in a position to fail.

If a kid shows off amazingly in camp and shows he is ready, then Irwin gets waived with no cap implications.  If they show they need to play a lot of minutes in the minors, you now have a ready made veteran.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Just now, Provost said:

Who said they were getting younger?  They have said they want to win now.

This lets a guy like Hirose get a lot of reps in the minors rather than being rushed into the big league. Winning franchises don’t put kids in a position to fail.

If a kid shows off amazingly in camp and shows he is ready, then Irwin gets waived with no cap implications.  If they show they need to play a lot of minutes in the minors, you now have a ready made veteran.

Ok so I am reading that we want to win now and I guess we can win with Irwin right? Nothing against Irwin...but with limited money to spend on we could have done a lot better don't you think? 

• Wat 1