The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Matt Irwin

21 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Ok we just threw $775K cap space out the window when I rather grow some of our own young talents into the roster since we already have a good mix of some vets and younger D's. We don't need to add another Vet!! 

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. He played 61 games last year, is a defensive defenceman, 5 point and -8 on a pretty lacklustre defence.

So he can at least play defence at the NHL level. I hardly call that throwing money away. Especially since he can be sent to the minors.

• Cheers 2

If someone has the energy to look up how many defensemen we use per year, that should clarify why we sign guys like this. We have had so much injury trouble on the backend for the last 20 years, that we all know we have to have options here.

He might be old, but not obsolete.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

If someone has the energy to look up how many defensemen we use per year, that should clarify why we sign guys like this. We have had so much injury trouble on the backend for the last 20 years, that we all know we have to have options here.

I haven’t looked for a couple years but it used to always be in the range of 13 or more.  Irwin just adds another guy in that 7-13 tier and is about as cheap as you can get.  He is probably an upgrade on Brisebois honestly.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I welcome him with open arms, Our D is our weakest point and it's nice to see it getting addressed. Finally.

It has for sure, however, kids like Woo, Johanssen, Brisbois, Rathbone seems will have to start at the bottom looking up to crack the lineup, or get a chance to. Not that that is a bad thing, but the competition is going to be off the charts in September. Murphy's Law though, someone will come down with a long term injury.

50 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

Just last year off the top of my head. Bear, Poolman, Dermott, Schenn, OEL, Myers, Hughes, Hirose, Brisbois, Juulsen, McWard, Hamonic, Bowey, Burroughs, Stillman, Wolanin, and Hronek. Actually, I looked.

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Holy crap he’s still in the league 

I've watched this kid for the last couple of years and keep thinking how come Vcr doesn't sign a player like him or Irwin him self. He's no Hughes, he's not a difference maker but he's a solid defender who can eat up a lot in minutes without the coach being too concerned. He's big and players a NA style

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

The first thing I see from  his photo is that he shoots  left.  When are we gonna add a few more right-shooters?

Considering that on the left side, after Hughes, the next guy on the depth chart was Wolanin, followed by Hirose, I'd say we needed left side help.  On the right side we have Hronek, Myers, Juulsen, and probably Poolman (now that we have figured out that he has a neck problem not a concussion) - both of the new guys play both sides.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

It's amazing that people on these forums even watch this team, despite having an overabundance of opinions.

I’m very proud of the fact that we have the most dedicated trolls/haters of any sports team it means that we have made fools of more tools than any other fan base :gocan:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Spoosh said:

Not sure if anyone posted a reply yet, but the Canucks used 16 defencemen in 2022-23 and 13 defencemen in 2021-22. :blink:

EDIT: just for comparison’s sake, looking at our closest geographical rivals (a random choice, although somewhat appropriate, given travel and it’s possible effect on injuries/durability), last season the Oilers used 11 different Dmen, the Flames 10, and the Kraken needed only 9 defencemen for the whole season.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Considering that on the left side, after Hughes, the next guy on the depth chart was Wolanin, followed by Hirose, I'd say we needed left side help.  On the right side we have Hronek, Myers, Juulsen, and probably Poolman (now that we have figured out that he has a neck problem not a concussion) - both of the new guys play both sides.

There’s an update on Poolman?