The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Matt Irwin

41 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not sure if anyone posted a reply yet, but the Canucks used 16 defencemen in 2022-23 and 13 defencemen in 2021-22. :blink:

EDIT: just for comparison’s sake, looking at our closest geographical rivals (a random choice, although somewhat appropriate, given travel and it’s possible effect on injuries/durability), last season the Oilers used 11 different Dmen, the Flames 10, and the Kraken needed only 9 defencemen for the whole season.

That is how it has been for ages now. And it’s not a joke that the travel we endure vs. pretty much everyone else in the league takes a toll on guys. In a more perfect scenario, we would need alot more guys in reserve and more rest and play everyone 70 games so they would be closer to 100% when they hit the ice. And when we eventually get to the postseason we’d have something left in the tank.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I really feel like vast swaths of the fanbase (and our previous GM) undervalue and or don't understand these two points (or remotely how to execute them).

I just had to point out why Dumba is not a fit here :picard:

Players will thrive with complementary partners/line mates. You need to actually construct your D pairs and lines with, complementary skill sets, roles and attributes. It's a TEAM sport.

Kinda like how the Rangers loaded up on star power and lost first round. Bunch of players used to being “the guy” on their past teams 

Edited by Devron
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

This is completely different. Buttom made that comment after Benning signed Hamonic on a 3 million cap hit and Poolman on a 2.5 million cap hit (for 4 years!) in the summer of 2021, adding to the 3rd pairing quality guys the Canucks already had. Those were both significant overpayments but the main point is that they made no sense from the roster construction point of view. You want serviceable 3rd pairing guys at close to the NHL min salary,

Matt Irwin was signed for the NHL min ($775K). If he does not play in the NHL, his salary has no effect on the cap.

Also, Irwin is not signed as a "3rd pairing D". At this stage he will pencilled in on the depth chart as a guy who probably starts in Abby but is available as an injury call-up. But he will have a shot to compete for a spot on the 23 man roster in pre-season.

JR and Allvin have been trying to construct the defence properly.

1. A couple of high end guys who can "drive" top-4 pairings.

2. A couple of solid defensive D's who can be complementary players on top 4 pairings.

3. A solid but inexpensive third pairing.

4. A could of  good, cheap backups as 7th and 9th man

5. 2 or 3 potential depth call-ups the in the AHL.

You also want good prospects in the system, including one or two high-end prospects along with potential "journeyman level" prospects..

Right now, for the first time in 10 years, the Canucks have decent system-wide personnel on D. They also have very good development personnel for the D, and they have coaches both in Van and in Abby who can implement a good defensive system.

It was tongue in cheek. Button made the same comment today after the Cole and Soucy signings. I don't have a problem with adding Irwin.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

It was tongue in cheek. Button made the same comment today after the Cole and Soucy signings. I don't have a problem with adding Irwin.

Not the first time I have mistaken tongue-in-cheek for foot-in-mouth. :)

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

400 games played and on a two way deal, local kid.

we just added Hronek, McWard, Hirose, Willander, Brewskie and have Woo with Ian Cole playing either side and Myers for now.

in the last 6 months six new players who either play the right side and or are RHD.

We can breathe a bit now, Willander is one to two years away with depth added to the club and farm with a top pair guy hear already.

Getting a RH Center would be a bonus but we have the depth we lacked last season and better valued.

Time to get RFA’s dealt with and ready for camp.

Now onto Prospect Camp!

17 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Just last year off the top of my head. Bear, Poolman, Dermott, Schenn, OEL, Myers, Hughes, Hirose, Brisbois, Juulsen, McWard, Hamonic, Bowey, Burroughs, Stillman, Wolanin, and Hronek. Actually, I looked.

Been saying it for years.  We need 8 NHL regulars and 8 AHL defencemen chafing at the bit to get in the lineup.

These posts which plunk a new guy into a game-day roster and figure we're set do not seem to consider historical needs of championship teams.

• Cheers 1

Have to really appreciate what Matt Irwin has signed to be here,  
And realizing it’s also a 2way,  that allows, or inspires him to be a positive influence to some great prospects we have coming through Abby .

That deserves applause.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Have to really appreciate what Matt Irwin has signed to be here,  
And realizing it’s also a 2way,  that allows, or inspires him to be a positive influence to some great prospects we have coming through Abby .

That deserves applause.

Maybe Tryamkin would still be here if he humbled himself to that. No? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Irwin won’t eat big minutes or put up points but he is a very good penalty killer.

We are bringing in four new dmen and a forward who are good to great penalty killers. Irwin as depth if any of those other guys go down is excellent as it’s our PK which has been our biggest issue the past two years 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yes because of career stage, no because he needed development time… 

No.

Contractual obligations .

One way was in Tryamkins contract for a reason.

BTW “the Canucks” at that time weren’t asking Tryamkin to go to Utica (eastern USA) .

The Coach was demanding it as a training stint..  and used his authority to sit the player.

Tryamkins stats at that time were already better than 4 roster D men.

Which he and his agent pointed out to Benning.  Fact.

Benning and management called the meeting to get to the bottom of the situation.

Management decided Tryamkin was right for not going to Utica for 3 games to “train”,  as he was already training here while WD decided to sit him out.

And, get this ,.   It wasn’t in his contract.

Ultimately, just another reason to FIRE Desjardins. Which should have occurred the year before because of his asinine deployment of lines and pp pm’s.

I know you like to state / and think I come up with excuses.

But what’s your excuse for NOT knowing the facts,  and why do you constantly troll me this way 73?

it really makes you look weak not knowing anything about a player other than reading and absorbing headlines from the media in this town.

I will just block you if it continues.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1