The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sure, kick us when we're down!

icycold

After reading the carbon tax added to the rising cost of everything these days, but putting that on to individual tax payers INSTEAD of taxing the oil companies that have been taking in record braking profits ffs! 

On top of that, the added cost is going to hit us as it will push production and transport even higher and most folks are a paycheck away from being homeless as it is, I don't get how stupid they are or how stupid they think WE are? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Meh ok ok so I'm venting, what can I say? I know no one does much about anything and they KEEP on bending us over and over and over... 

This reminds me of the Canucks history trying the one and done routine without depth over and over and over again... Lmao! 

However it works for the government, as long as we don't really do anything. 

Meh Canada? Yes the country is f'n awesome and beautiful, the way it's run? Omfg! 

Kind of ironic the way the Canadian political parties have screwed this country so bad in the last.. ummm.. forever! 

Can we have someone new please? Like to run this renewable resources RICH country for once? 

Just once?  You'd think that wouldn't be too much to ask.. 

Edited by icycold
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

My understanding is that we're not really allowed to talk about this stuff here, but if the tax had been levied at the oil companies, do you honestly believe they wouldn't pass that on to consumers?

My experience has been that oil companies are comfortable jacking the price of gas up if well in Qatar has to be shut down for a day....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, icycold said:

Meh ok ok so I'm venting, what can I say? I know no one does much about anything and they KEEP on bending us over and over and over... 

This reminds me of the Canucks history trying the one and done routine without depth over and over and over again... Lmao! 

However it works for the government, as long as we don't really do anything. 

Meh Canada? Yes the country is f'n awesome and beautiful, the way it's run? Omfg! 

Kind of ironic the way the Canadian political parties have screwed this country so bad in the last.. ummm.. forever! 

Can we have someone new please? Like to run this renewable resources RICH country for once? 

Just once?  You'd think that wouldn't be too much to ask.. 

We had that chance in 1978.  In 1982 through 1984 the Alberta government, the US government and US oil producers who just survived getting their arses kicked by OPEC decided that Canada shouldn't be in charge of its energy program and instead of running it like Norway they decided to run it like a US tap with only one customer who knew that safe nearby oil was of vital strategic importance.

The benefit was that they owned the rights, the control point and outflow/production and refining, but also could sell it back to us at an inflated cost knowing the people would blame the government.

Ironic aint it?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My understanding is that we're not really allowed to talk about this stuff here, but if the tax had been levied at the oil companies, do you honestly believe they wouldn't pass that on to consumers?

I've seen that argument applied to other companies.  I'm puzzled by it.  If the oil companies (or any other company) can recoup a tax increase by simply raising the price of their product, why haven't they already raised the price to increase their profits?

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I've seen that argument applied to other companies.  I'm puzzled by it.  If the oil companies (or any other company) can recoup a tax increase by simply raising the price of their product, why haven't they already raised the price to increase their profits?

You're confused by the idea that corporations pass increased costs on to their customers? I honestly don't know what to say to that. AFAIK, it's pretty much ubiquitous.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You're confused by the idea that corporations pass increased costs on to their customers? I honestly don't know what to say to that. AFAIK, it's pretty much ubiquitous.

I'm asking, if a company can increase the price of its product for whatever reason, why hasn't it already done so?  Companies are in the business of making as much profit as possible. 

Just now, UnkNuk said:

I'm asking, if a company can increase the price of its product for whatever reason, why hasn't it already done so?  Companies are in the business of making as much profit as possible. 

I'm no Economics major, but I have to assume that all corporations have an idea how much they can charge before people stop buying their products.

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm no Economics major, but I have to assume that all corporations have an idea how much they can charge before people stop buying their products.

Okay.  So why will they be able to raise the price of their product in order to recoup the tax increase?

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My experience has been that oil companies are comfortable jacking the price of gas up if well in Qatar has to be shut down for a day....

Yep but if the government would step in against said gas hikes this country might actually start to get somewhere, they slapped 70-80 mil in another commodity suit and they could easily do it to them if they tried it. 

58 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Okay.  So why will they be able to raise the price of their product in order to recoup the tax increase?

I think the government is part of the problem because if the price of gas goes up they reap the taxes on us either way. 

We really need a change in government, but this isn't really a political discussion as per se', simply because we aren't discussing whose right and whose wrong, we know what they're doing is wrong and they know that we know! 

And in the middle of a economic squeeze and hardly need more money gone out of the individual/family budget, the government is supposed to be working for us, not against us ffs! Geez lol 

1 hour ago, icycold said:

Yep but if the government would step in against said gas hikes this country might actually start to get somewhere, they slapped 70-80 mil in another commodity suit and they could easily do it to them if they tried it. 

But the government doesn't want to step in.The whole idea behind the carbon tax is to encourage people to use less fossil fuels.

They realize that this could really hurt lower income Canadians, which is why there are rebates.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

But the government doesn't want to step in.The whole idea behind the carbon tax is to encourage people to use less fossil fuels.

They realize that this could really hurt lower income Canadians, which is why there are rebates.

They should want to jump in, because rebates are never truly even close to the amount paid out of cdns pockets i.e. gst rebates etc

Why should they? Because they don't have to do that right now, we're already going that way, 2050 is a long way off and already we have electric vehicles which there will be a lot more of and we can phase it out but by bit as we go along, not HUGE jumps because we can't afford it, everything is about to go up AGAIN, groceries that take fuel to deliver that everyone has to eat, medical supplies, on and on that is hard enough to swallow that some small rebates isn't going to fix anytime soon. 

Wish it was that easy hey? 

1 minute ago, icycold said:

They should want to jump in, because rebates are never truly even close to the amount paid out of cdns pockets i.e. gst rebates etc

Why should they? Because they don't have to do that right now, we're already going that way, 2050 is a long way off and already we have electric vehicles which there will be a lot more of and we can phase it out but by bit as we go along, not HUGE jumps because we can't afford it, everything is about to go up AGAIN, groceries that take fuel to deliver that everyone has to eat, medical supplies, on and on that is hard enough to swallow that some small rebates isn't going to fix anytime soon. 

Wish it was that easy hey? 

Sorry, if you're going to make the case that we shouldn't be doing everything we can to combat Climate Change right now, you've lost me.

All I'll say about that is that I think you're sadly misinformed and I'm glad the government doesn't share your opinion.

• Wat 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Sorry, if you're going to make the case that we shouldn't be doing everything we can to combat Climate Change right now, you've lost me.

All I'll say about that is that I think you're sadly misinformed and I'm glad the government doesn't share your opinion.

I'm not arguing climate control in the least but just as our country is getting back on it's feet from covid is the wrong time to do it, or at least bring it down a not as in the amount of $ that's going to balloon already over inflated prices where folks are already skipping meals to make ends meet. 

28 minutes ago, icycold said:

I'm not arguing climate control in the least but just as our country is getting back on it's feet from covid is the wrong time to do it, or at least bring it down a not as in the amount of $ that's going to balloon already over inflated prices where folks are already skipping meals to make ends meet.

The people that are "skipping meals" are the ones that get the rebates. I disagree that this is the wrong time to do it. We've already been kicking the can down the road for far too long.

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

We had that chance in 1978.  In 1982 through 1984 the Alberta government, the US government and US oil producers who just survived getting their arses kicked by OPEC decided that Canada shouldn't be in charge of its energy program and instead of running it like Norway they decided to run it like a US tap with only one customer who knew that safe nearby oil was of vital strategic importance.

The benefit was that they owned the rights, the control point and outflow/production and refining, but also could sell it back to us at an inflated cost knowing the people would blame the government.

Ironic aint it?

Somewhere in Canada Ryan Strome is yelling & cursing at you.:lol:

• Haha 1