The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jersey numbers for the free agents

Rate this topic

Law of Goalies

2 hours ago, Rabbit said:

This is Management's job of assigning of numbers, not players.

I’m pretty sure the player asks for a number and the equipment manager gives it to him. I highly doubt Allvin is involved in this. Which is why if the numbers were out of circulation then the equipment manager couldn’t hand them out. 

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree. They should just do some kind of memorial at the arena for all of them. I don’t think any of those numbers should be out of circulation, even 11.  But because it was the first few years of the franchise I guess they wanted to do something special for Wayne Maki. It was good intentions at the time but set a precedent for future similar situations. 

In my opinion Rick Rypien’s story was much more tragic and has had a more lasting impression with the fans than Wayne Maki. Rypien is literally honoured every year and has a foundation set up in his name. And plus he did more for this franchise than Wayne Maki ever did. Maki was a borderline criminal. He almost killed another hockey player with his stick. Broke the guys skull. It was the worst stick swinging incident in NHL history. 

Except for the knucklehead who tried to take off Brashear's head.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If a number can't be worn then it is the Canucks responsibility to not have that number in circulation, it shouldn't be up to a player to call a family that they have no idea who they even are...

Absolutely...

Let just kill the idea right away, that a new player with Canucks should bare the responsibility of knowing the history of jerseys worn by former players and their history.

If anyone should deal with this, it should be Canucks management.

Secondly, the jersey was never retired. If anything, that should have happened after the incident 15 years ago... under GM Mike Gillis, who had just taken over as GM the previous month...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Sadly the management is showing their lack of class yet again.  

Nah..... you're wrong on this one.

If anything should have been done about Bourdons jersey number, it should have happened after the incident under GMMG...

• There it is 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If a number can't be worn then it is the Canucks responsibility to not have that number in circulation, it shouldn't be up to a player to call a family that they have no idea who they even are...

agree, they either retire the number, or fans deal with it, i know alot of canuck ffans are mad, but its a FFA number since it snot retired

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely...

Let just kill the idea right away, that a new player with Canucks should bare the responsibility of knowing the history of jerseys worn by former players and their history.

If anyone should deal with this, it should be Canucks management.

Secondly, the jersey was never retired. If anything, that should have happened after the incident 15 years ago... under GM Mike Gillis, who had just taken over as GM the previous month...

Hes also used other numbers with the canucks aswell #40 (canucks)  , and 23 and 6 with team canada

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Canucks should take 11, 28, 37 and 38 out of circulation.  This is the easiest way to do this.  I doubt another guy like Messier will ever come around to demand wearing his number.  Ian Cole probably doesn't even know who Luc Bourdon is, so it is the team's responsibility to advise him and really just to tell him he can't wear it.  I'm assuming if he chose 28 then it is still in circulation and nobody from the team objected to him wearing it.

Do we even know if these numbers can still be worn?  I'm sure 11 is now officially out of circulation, but I haven't heard of anything in regard to the other numbers...

Considering, no one has yet to wear those numbers, since their deaths, aside from Messier wearing 11. It’s safe to say, those numbers are/were unofficially retired by the team. 

2 hours ago, Tinky-Winky said:

Hes also used other numbers with the canucks aswell #40 (canucks)  , and 23 and 6 with team canada

Yes exactly. As big a tragedy as it was, we would have to retire a lot of numbers.

None of have forgotten, and never will, just like Demitra and in particular (for me at least) the warrior no 37.... 

• Cheers 1

I prefer Montreal's system, where the Player's Name with His Number (the jersey) is retired but the number can still be used, e.g. Rocket Richard.

Retiring the number is stupid imo, if Montreal had been doing it all along, they'd have no numbers left! lol.

• Vintage 2

Hope there was some Bourdon discussion, you'd like to think someone in the Canucks organization alerted management about this but maybe they're fine with it.

More interesting is the number 53 - such a random number and Blueger takes it, almost making a point there.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree. They should just do some kind of memorial at the arena for all of them. I don’t think any of those numbers should be out of circulation, even 11.  But because it was the first few years of the franchise I guess they wanted to do something special for Wayne Maki. It was good intentions at the time but set a precedent for future similar situations. 

In my opinion Rick Rypien’s story was much more tragic and has had a more lasting impression with the fans than Wayne Maki. Rypien is literally honoured every year and has a foundation set up in his name. And plus he did more for this franchise than Wayne Maki ever did. Maki was a borderline criminal. He almost killed another hockey player with his stick. Broke the guys skull. It was the worst stick swinging incident in NHL history. 

Well he's not the first guy to do that,  some pretty bad stick swinging incidents going all the way back to the early days, with broken skulls and players died.    Maki/Green just is the worst of the somewhat recent incidents.   Stick swinging used to be a lot more common.  Howe used to club WHA goons over the head his first season, to "gain space", and let them know not to mess with him or his sons.   Ted Green was also trying to chop Maki's head off,  wasn't like the McSorely thing, they were both swinging like it was T-Ball and going for that home run. 

Maki's number been worn by Messier ... well it would be like asking Howe to change his number 9 in his mid 30's.    But it was the first indication that Messier's living legend status likely had got to his head.   Have no doubts Gretzky would have honoured it, if Maki's number was 99.    That's the difference between those two guys, ones like Beliveau, modest to a fault, the other felt like he'd like to talk about himself in the 3rd person like Babcock.   Ego just got a little too big, not hard to understand why.  Messier used his stick pretty liberally too, crosschecks.   

Maki was a tragic ending to what should have been a long career.    11 wasn't a common number really, not like 9, 2, 4 and 10.   Wish that they just made it official.   Then none of that would have happened.   The fact the family asked him not to wear it and he ignored that for whatever reason, was the first sign this wasn't going to go well.   At the time Messier just had two typical Messier seasons, in the dead puck era too, scoring almost 50 goals and close enough to 100 points.    If he only accepted the A, fell in line behind Linden and centered our second line with Mogilny, used his "leadership" skills to get Bure on board.  

Yikes.   What a team we could have had.   Instead he walked into that dressing room and what should have been a team entering their prime ... that only a few years ago made it to the final... and was a better playoff team, it should have been glorious, instead it was just heart wrenching.    Messier should be apologizing to the Maki family, and every person in Vancouver and BC for the rest of his life.  

The only bright spot, was it did bring us the WCE and Sedin era. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hope there was some Bourdon discussion, you'd like to think someone in the Canucks organization alerted management about this but maybe they're fine with it.

More interesting is the number 53 - such a random number and Blueger takes it, almost making a point there.

Blueger wore #53 in Pittsburgh. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well he's not the first guy to do that,  some pretty bad stick swinging incidents going all the way back to the early days, with broken skulls and players died.    Maki/Green just is the worst of the somewhat recent incidents.   Stick swinging used to be a lot more common.  Howe used to club WHA goons over the head his first season, to "gain space", and let them know not to mess with him or his sons.   Ted Green was also trying to chop Maki's head off,  wasn't like the McSorely thing, they were both swinging like it was T-Ball and going for that home run. 

Maki's number been worn by Messier ... well it would be like asking Howe to change his number 9 in his mid 30's.    But it was the first indication that Messier's living legend status likely had got to his head.   Have no doubts Gretzky would have honoured it, if Maki's number was 99.    That's the difference between those two guys, ones like Beliveau, modest to a fault, the other felt like he'd like to talk about himself in the 3rd person like Babcock.   Ego just got a little too big, not hard to understand why.  Messier used his stick pretty liberally too, crosschecks.   

Maki was a tragic ending to what should have been a long career.    11 wasn't a common number really, not like 9, 2, 4 and 10.   Wish that they just made it official.   Then none of that would have happened.   The fact the family asked him not to wear it and he ignored that for whatever reason, was the first sign this wasn't going to go well.   At the time Messier just had two typical Messier seasons, in the dead puck era too, scoring almost 50 goals and close enough to 100 points.    If he only accepted the A, fell in line behind Linden and centered our second line with Mogilny, used his "leadership" skills to get Bure on board.  

Yikes.   What a team we could have had.   Instead he walked into that dressing room and what should have been a team entering their prime ... that only a few years ago made it to the final... and was a better playoff team, it should have been glorious, instead it was just heart wrenching.    Messier should be apologizing to the Maki family, and every person in Vancouver and BC for the rest of his life.  

The only bright spot, was it did bring us the WCE and Sedin era. 

Yup, totally agreed. The Canucks should have officially retired #11 or taken it out of circulation.

Not sure I agree that a number cannot be worn unless it is hanging from the rafters. Unofficially retired doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Either they hang it from the rafters or they let players wear it. Not retiring #11 tells me the Canucks didn’t really want to hang the number from the rafters as that would have been too big of an honour for Maki. Instead, they quietly made the number unavailable, not realizing that maybe one day a player like Messier would come around and demand to wear it. Lesson learned. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1