Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jersey numbers for the free agents

Rate this topic


Law of Goalies

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Neutral said:

Blueger will be asked why #53 immediately by Vancouver media. He wore it for years in Pittsburgh, wore #23 his last year in the AHL, unsure about college #. There must be some meaning behing him wearing #53. 
 

Canuck fans should have no issue with him doing so, I do NOT...Horvat was a good player for us, he wanted $ and  was a shoot first C wanting a payday, Canucks made the right choice to move on from BO at his extension numbers. Horvat will NOT have his # retired or in the ring of honour so should NOT matter who wears #53 in a Canuck jersey going forward imo. We did not have any succuess while Horvat was here, that is the main reason for him not getting any recognition post retirement from me. And, his stats don't warrant it sad to say

 

Yeah, opinions evolve after you get a little distance from a player like Horvat.  Different now than the time of all the hand wringing and gnashing of teeth bemoaning JR not rushing to sign Bo to whatever he wanted, and the pitchforks when Miller was signed first.

Quite telling that no one is batting an eye at Blueger taking 53.  You're a bit harsh but true in that his stats, overall, don't warrant it. And he never really had any memorable games that other ROH or Jersey retired members had.

 

Its interesting to note that the last 5 captains were ALL inducted into either the ROH, in Lu's case, the rest had their jerseys retired.  (Messier is dead to me)

 

Smyl  Jersey Retired

Linden  JR

N/A

Naslund  JR

Luongo   ROH (this season) , but a strong push from some fans for a JR

Henrik  JR

 

Bo's number comes up without a thought of saving it for the rafters. That is sadly quite telling, and reflects the state of the team while he was captain. And it was mostly not his fault.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

 

Yeah, opinions evolve after you get a little distance from a player like Horvat.  Different now than the time of all the hand wringing and gnashing of teeth bemoaning JR not rushing to sign Bo to whatever he wanted, and the pitchforks when Miller was signed first.

Quite telling that no one is batting an eye at Blueger taking 53.  You're a bit harsh but true in that his stats, overall, don't warrant it. And he never really had any memorable games that other ROH or Jersey retired members had.

 

Its interesting to note that the last 5 captains were ALL inducted into either the ROH, in Lu's case, the rest had their jerseys retired.  (Messier is dead to me)

 

Smyl  Jersey Retired

Linden  JR

N/A

Naslund  JR

Luongo   ROH (this season) , but a strong push from some fans for a JR

Henrik  JR

 

Bo's number comes up without a thought of saving it for the rafters. That is sadly quite telling, and reflects the state of the team while he was captain. And it was mostly not his fault.

 

Blueger has always worn 53. Bo was an average player. So glad he’s friggin’ gone and our club can move on from that craperolla era. 

  • Wat 1
  • There it is 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

#53 isn't even remotely sacred based on Horvat.  I would find it more questionable if someone wears Ronning's 7 or Tanti's 9 or Lidster's 3.  But nobody bats an eye at that.  Horvat contributed less than those three guys and several others not in the rafters.

 

 

BMo did #7 justice too, David Booth not so much. 

  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Cole changing to #82

 

Classy move on his behalf

 

Bad look on the organization for not informing him of this in this first place.

This management staff has done nothing to show they have any class. I like some of the moves they've made, but they're definitely easy to dislike as people.

 

Cole is class though. I liked him as a player before, love him now. I wasn't against him using the number, but I am glad he made the switch.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure how wearing #28 would have been disrespectful. Luc Bourdon's passing was a sad and horrible moment but I feel like players wearing his number only enhances the memory of Bourdon. Can't believe this was used for negativity by some in the Van community. Mind boggling to me but everyone is entitled to their views.

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Miller isn't doing any dishonour at least.   So there is that.    Of anyone on Horvats team's, the only number that feels somewhat reverent is Edlers (aside from the Sedins).   Ronning, Tanti, Lidster, Snepsts, Bieksa, there is so many guys i'd consider holy before going there (53).   Bieksa did Lidster honour though.   Gino 29.    I don't mind if guys wear the same numbers, but some guys for sure wore it best.   Some numbers like 7, will just remind me of Ronning.     29 Gino.   OEL didn't do 23 much justice.  Ohlunds 2, and Jovo's 55 and Bert's 44  also seem like ones that should take a long time to ever be supplanted. 

Burroughs honoured 44 well. Love that number, Bertuzzi is one of my all time favourite Canucks (Moore incident was disgraceful however).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You can honour a player, but how was Cole supposed to know if no one tells him?

 

Mountain out of a molehill. The fact he was aware of Luc's tragedy makes me ok with him wearing #28.

 

 

Character guy for sure, Blake the woke people on Canucks instagram

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Not sure how wearing #28 would have been disrespectful. Luc Bourdon's passing was a sad and horrible moment but I feel like players wearing his number only enhances the memory of Bourdon. Can't believe this was used for negativity by some in the Van community. Mind boggling to me but everyone is entitled to their views.

I believe the majority of Vancouver fans would not be bothered by Cole wearing #28 provided , and I emphasize provided, that Luc’s family were okay with it. 
It could bring back upsetting memories for them to see a #28 on ice in a Canucks jersey. 
Cole made a great move in changing up and bought himself much respect without even lacing his  skates up.

  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Miller isn't doing any dishonour at least.   So there is that.    Of anyone on Horvats team's, the only number that feels somewhat reverent is Edlers (aside from the Sedins).   Ronning, Tanti, Lidster, Snepsts, Bieksa, there is so many guys i'd consider holy before going there (53).   Bieksa did Lidster honour though.   Gino 29.    I don't mind if guys wear the same numbers, but some guys for sure wore it best.   Some numbers like 7, will just remind me of Ronning.     29 Gino.   OEL didn't do 23 much justice.  Ohlunds 2, and Jovo's 55 and Bert's 44  also seem like ones that should take a long time to ever be supplanted. 

 

At first I wasn't very happy at all about Bertuzzi wearing Dave Babych's 44.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

 

Yeah, opinions evolve after you get a little distance from a player like Horvat.  Different now than the time of all the hand wringing and gnashing of teeth bemoaning JR not rushing to sign Bo to whatever he wanted, and the pitchforks when Miller was signed first.

Quite telling that no one is batting an eye at Blueger taking 53.  You're a bit harsh but true in that his stats, overall, don't warrant it. And he never really had any memorable games that other ROH or Jersey retired members had.

 

Its interesting to note that the last 5 captains were ALL inducted into either the ROH, in Lu's case, the rest had their jerseys retired.  (Messier is dead to me)

 

Smyl  Jersey Retired

Linden  JR

N/A

Naslund  JR

Luongo   ROH (this season) , but a strong push from some fans for a JR

Henrik  JR

 

Bo's number comes up without a thought of saving it for the rafters. That is sadly quite telling, and reflects the state of the team while he was captain. And it was mostly not his fault.

 

 

I would have former captains Boudrias, Lever and Lidster in the ROH before Horvat.

 

Horvat...he was good in the bubble run and played in two All Star games.  Those are respectable achievements but people were blowing him out of proportion.

 

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  For those that didn't, well some at least got to see Lidstrom, and Yzerman.   Or Sakic.   Who scored over 100 at 37 after the lockout.    McDavid isn't scoring an average of 70 plus points for a decade over the next up.    The league owes its expansion into the US to Gretzky.   It never would have worked without that trade.   Hollywood couldn't wait to see what the big deal was about him, and they weren't disappointed.   To me it was the right thing to do.   And very respectful.   Not sure why you'd disagree, other then that he scored on Richard Broduer more then any other goalie.   That's a long grudge. 

 

Imagine a trade today, that would make so many Canadian hockey fans upset?   To the point they tried to block it in the top level of government.    It was a sad day.  Nothing like that will ever happen again, because nobody will ever play like he did again, and well the climates changed, doesn't seem like there is nearly the same appetite to see the cup in Canada like there used to be either.    

 

Even I don't mind that and I'm sure King Richard doesn't either.  Thing is he was the only goalie in the NHL who was in Gretzky's division during all of Gretzky's prime goal scoring years and was a starter for his team the whole time.  The other teams in the Smythe from 1980 to 1987 were goalie carousels.  LA, Winnipeg and Calgary all didn't have one guy for that full stretch.  Meanwhile Brodeur was the Canucks starter the entire time and also led the NHL in games and minutes for goalies some years.  He was always going to hold that record no matter what.  And once Brodeur retired...Gretzky mostly stopped scoring goals and just passed the puck.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You can honour a player, but how was Cole supposed to know if no one tells him?

 

Mountain out of a molehill. The fact he was aware of Luc's tragedy makes me ok with him wearing #28.

 

 

Wasn't aware of it myself until CDC chimed in. 

 

Good on him.   Shows that he cares about the fan base reaction/team perception than his own preference.    A team player type of guy. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Cole changing to #82

 

Classy move on his behalf

 

Bad look on the organization for not informing him of this in this first place.

Perhaps, but they fired so many people in the management since Luc was playing.  Unless they retired his #, it's simply listed as available after a player signs the contract and gets in touch with the equipment manager.  

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

Honestly, it’s been 50 years since Maki’s death. Times have changed. It may have had significance back then, right now it doesn’t. And @Elias Pettersson is right, that guy nearly killed someone over a damn game. 
 

All jerseys except 10, 12, 16, 19, 22, 33, and 99 should be made available. 
 

Im not particularly interested in retiring a jersey worn by a player who died half a century ago now. They should set up a memorial though, but have his jersey available.

Why 99? What's 99 ever done for us?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...