The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jersey numbers for the free agents

Rate this topic

Law of Goalies

This proud valley boy hates vancouverites (born in East van)

The fact that this is an issue in some people's eyes is sad. Luc was a prospect, sadly he never made the full time roster before he tragically passed, he wore multiple numbers.

The general population around here just loves to complain.

Classy move by Cole nonetheless.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

This management staff has done nothing to show they have any class. I like some of the moves they've made, but they're definitely easy to dislike as people.

Cole is class though. I liked him before, love him now. I wasn't against him using the number, but I am glad he made the switch.

I’m hoping the spirit of LB28 will shine some good karma on this player for his respects. I cried when I learned Ian Cole had changed his mind, with a very tender heart on the matter. He’s acknowledging there’s a higher value that we, the fans & Luke’s family members, may have put upon such things. This is a testament to his good character. He’s also acknowledging that there’s a special brotherhood existing amongst defencemen, who rarely seem to get their full & proper due. 

#82 is a new fave of mine, even before he’s played a single game as a Vancouver Canuck. Best wishes & cheers, my good man! RIP, Luc! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

99 is retired league wide…

Other than embarrassing us on a weekly basis and filling our building with butts in the seats, I don’t think 99 did much for us really….

If anything Vancouver helped MAKE Gretzky, because almost every major milestone was scored against us. No question have it retired on any team he played on.

I still think it's a bit much that it's retired league wide. Even teams that were not even in the league then. Why not retire #4 across the league? Orr changed the way defencemen were viewed as players. Gretzky just got crazy numbers. Call it sour grapes all you want. I still think it's over the top, even for one of the best forwards in the league history.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If anything Vancouver helped MAKE Gretzky, because almost every major milestone was scored against us. No question have it retired on any team he played on.

I still think it's a bit much that it's retired league wide. Even teams that were not even in the league then. Why not retire #4 across the league? Orr changed the way defencemen were viewed as players. Gretzky just got crazy numbers. Call it sour grapes all you want. I still think it's over the top, even for one of the best forwards in the league history.

Yes that is true.  I think our goalies made Gretzky really, he would have never gotten all those records without them...   ^_^

Orr was the second greatest player ever, but no one compares to the Great One.  He not only revolutionized the game but he expanded it into the US and made hockey what it is today in LA.  Orr never did that.  Those crazy numbers look even crazier when you compare the fact that the superstars of that era were 70-80 points behind Gretzky every year.  

Gretzky has records that no other player will ever pass unless they completely change the game.  163 assists in one year, 92 goals in one year, 50 goals in 39 games, 215 points in one year, 2857 points in a career, 1963 assists in a year.  Only Ovechkin will be able to break a major Gretzky record, and that is only because Gretzky wasn't really known as a goal scorer and didn't really score many goals after the age of 30.  He still won the scoring title at age 33, something nobody has ever done other than I think a shortened season.

Nobody deserves to ever wear the 99 shirt again, and even if it wasn't retired league wide, nobody would be dumb enough to wear it anyways as they would get laughed out of the dressing room.  Lots of guys have worn the 4 after Orr, so it isn't some mystical number.  The other thing with Orr is he doesn't have the longevity that Gretzky had.  He only played 10 years, Gretzky played 20.  If Orr had had a full career of 20 years, then we are probably retiring his 4 league wide...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Someone on Twitter said Luc (RIP) wore the #4 on the Moose. But Aaron Miller used the #4 when he came. 

There isn't  very many Canucks players I completely forget about. But Aaron Miller is one of them. Tommi Santala too. They are all coming back 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

On 7/8/2023 at 7:41 PM, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

This proud valley boy hates vancouverites (born in East van)

The fact that this is an issue in some people's eyes is sad. Luc was a prospect, sadly he never made the full time roster before he tragically passed, he wore multiple numbers.

The general population around here just loves to complain.

Classy move by Cole nonetheless.

What? Luc was pretty much a regular on the roster to my recollection & could have been a top-2 defenceman, as well.

What if Luc was with the team for that 2011 Stanley Cup run, & they had that additional depth on D. He was missed back then & is still missed now,…dearly missed. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1