The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jersey numbers for the free agents

Rate this topic

Law of Goalies

15 hours ago, viking mama said:

What? Luc was a pretty much a regular on the roster to my recollection & could have been a top-2 defenceman, as well.

What if Luc was with the team for that 2011 Stanley Cup run, & they had that additional depth on D. He was missed back then & is still missed now,…dearly missed.

Luc played less than 40 career games.  9 games one year, then 27 games the season at the end of which he passed away.  He was in and out of the lineup.  I think he was trending to make the team and stick around in the lineup the following season but it hadn't actually happened yet.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

22 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Smart move by Cole, real classy statement, dumb move by management not knowing or telling him, this is a hot fanbase and Cole acted quickly so good on him. Hope 82 brings a lot of good karma and luck his way.

82...the team's first Cup run.  Between that and the Bourdon respect he can't do much more that I can think of for some good luck.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

17 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Even I don't mind that and I'm sure King Richard doesn't either.  Thing is he was the only goalie in the NHL who was in Gretzky's division during all of Gretzky's prime goal scoring years and was a starter for his team the whole time.  The other teams in the Smythe from 1980 to 1987 were goalie carousels.  LA, Winnipeg and Calgary all didn't have one guy for that full stretch.  Meanwhile Brodeur was the Canucks starter the entire time and also led the NHL in games and minutes for goalies some years.  He was always going to hold that record no matter what.  And once Brodeur retired...Gretzky mostly stopped scoring goals and just passed the puck.

Absolutely, and it really wasn't that many, only 29, which if you think about it, is quite remarkable.   Actually virtually amazing all considered.   Next up Mike Luit, who as you know was something else for awhile at 23, then McLean and Millen at 21 each.   Wonder how many games we played against them.   I'd hazard a guess that our guys actually allowed less goals on average then he was scoring.   Maybe not McLean given he wasn't scoring as much by then, but definitely Broduer.   If Roy or Hasek was our goalie instead, they'd get equally ventilated.   The guy just seemed to score at will, was a master at making a goalie make the first move then picking a corner.   Can't stop goals if you drop to the butterfly at the slightest wind up, and the guy your up against can tuck it under your arm, or go far side like it's just trying to hit a wide open net.    Gretzky made fools of all the best goalies.   

Watched every single goal Bure scored as a Canuck.  Took over an hour (someone made a video).    Watched a couple hundred of Gretzky's too,  was a completely different vibe.   Gretzky deked goalies with the best of them, great stickhandler, but his bread and butter was faking a shot, sometimes twice quickly, making the goalie move, and then finding that one tiny hole.   I'm actually glad it was us, because like you said we had to play them all the time, and we had a great goalie.     The rate he was scoring goals and his shooting percentage,  Im sure if someone did the math on average,  Broduer probably should have let in more like 50. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, viking mama said:

What? Luc was a pretty much a regular on the roster to my recollection & could have been a top-2 defenceman, as well.

What if Luc was with the team for that 2011 Stanley Cup run, & they had that additional depth on D. He was missed back then & is still missed now,…dearly missed. 

He wasn’t a regular on the roster. He spent most of his time with the Manitoba Moose that year. We were loaded on defence in 2007. Edler, Ohlund, Salo, Bieksa, Mitchell. Bourdon was our 7/8 call up guy that year. 

He had a lot of promise. It’s too bad what happened. Players shouldn’t be allowed to ride motorcycles in the off-season. I think they have clauses for that now in contracts.  They shouldn’t even be allowed to play other sports other than golf. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He wasn’t a regular on the roster. He spent most of his time with the Manitoba Moose that year. We were loaded on defence in 2007. Edler, Ohlund, Salo, Bieksa, Mitchell. Bourdon was our 7/8 call up guy that year. 

He had a lot of promise. It’s too bad what happened. Players shouldn’t be allowed to ride motorcycles in the off-season. I think they have clauses for that now in contracts.  They shouldn’t even be allowed to play other sports other than golf. 

Not sure I agree about the sports.  Is there any great reason a hockey player shouldn't play baseball in the summer?  Gordie Howe played semi-pro baseball in the summers during his career.  I can see contact football or skiing but as to most other stuff...is that really much more risky than whatever training they would be doing to keep in shape until fall.  Who was it that fell through a glass table in their own house for no reason?

15 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Who was it that fell through a glass table in their own house for no reason?

Not forgetting Dustin Johnson, who missed the 2017 Masters when he slipped and fell down the stairs in the house he was renting there.  (Was the World #1 at that time and a strong favorite)

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Not sure I agree about the sports.  Is there any great reason a hockey player shouldn't play baseball in the summer?  Gordie Howe played semi-pro baseball in the summers during his career.  I can see contact football or skiing but as to most other stuff...is that really much more risky than whatever training they would be doing to keep in shape until fall.  Who was it that fell through a glass table in their own house for no reason?

I guess non contact sports would be fine. I mentioned golf because that’s what a lot of players do in the off-season. 

Definitely no contact sports or any dangerous activities like sky diving, motorcycles unless it’s a Harley, bungie jumping, etc. 

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely, and it really wasn't that many, only 29, which if you think about it, is quite remarkable.   Actually virtually amazing all considered.   Next up Mike Luit, who as you know was something else for awhile at 23, then McLean and Millen at 21 each.   Wonder how many games we played against them.   I'd hazard a guess that our guys actually allowed less goals on average then he was scoring.   Maybe not McLean given he wasn't scoring as much by then, but definitely Broduer.   If Roy or Hasek was our goalie instead, they'd get equally ventilated.   The guy just seemed to score at will, was a master at making a goalie make the first move then picking a corner.   Can't stop goals if you drop to the butterfly at the slightest wind up, and the guy your up against can tuck it under your arm, or go far side like it's just trying to hit a wide open net.    Gretzky made fools of all the best goalies.   

Watched every single goal Bure scored as a Canuck.  Took over an hour (someone made a video).    Watched a couple hundred of Gretzky's too,  was a completely different vibe.   Gretzky deked goalies with the best of them, great stickhandler, but his bread and butter was faking a shot, sometimes twice quickly, making the goalie move, and then finding that one tiny hole.   I'm actually glad it was us, because like you said we had to play them all the time, and we had a great goalie.     The rate he was scoring goals and his shooting percentage,  Im sure if someone did the math on average,  Broduer probably should have let in more like 50. 

Yeah I want to know what Mike Liut's excuse is.  How much Gretzky did he see on the Blues, Whalers and Capitals.  Hell of a goalie though and beat Gretzky himself out for the league MVP in 1980 or 81.  I have him as the next guy on the Vernon / Barrasso Hall of Fame train but I don't think it will ever happen.

One of the only goalies with the "evil duck" mask that I loved back in the day.  Him, Michel Dion and Michel Larocque.

Decent chance Liut let in a few more Gretzky goals in the WHA as well.  Not too many goalies have been a Hart finalist twice but he's one of them.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1