The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings re-sign Alex DeBrincat

Risky move, those two 40G seasons he had Pat Kane feeding him the puck. Larkin isn't quite the same playmaker but I think they'll make a good duo. I wouldn't go after DeBrincat, he could just fade away and become a 20G 60P scorer, but he does have an elite shot. You know he signed this contract in the hopes that he blows everyone out of the water and earns a big next contract.

This is a great deal. I wasn't really feeling Detroit's offseason moves so far, but this was a great trade and a really solid contract. 

Dude has shown he can score goals and is only 25. Yeah a little hot and cold, but that is an area he could easily improve on still as he grows. 

1 minute ago, Bobby James said:

This is a great deal. I wasn't really feeling Detroit's offseason moves so far, but this was a great trade and a really solid contract. 

Dude has shown he can score goals and is only 25. Yeah a little hot and cold, but that is an area he could easily improve on still as he grows. 

He’s a friggin’ peanut. Yzerboy will be feeling the axe soon. He’s doing a terrible job. Traded away his best player. To us, thankfully. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s a friggin’ peanut. Yzerboy will be feeling the axe soon. He’s doing a terrible job. Traded away his best player. To us, thankfully.

Don't get me wrong I hope Hronek is amazing and resigns with us for a decently priced long term deal. We haven't really seen much of him yet, so next season will be the real test to see how he does. 

lol but Debrincat is still solid and Detroit has some good young players. I think losing Bertuzzi was a mistake and I may have gone one more year or tanking if I was them, but none of that changes the fact that the trade and signing are good. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed, not a fan of the Yzerplan.  Some media saying Yzerman fleeced Ottawa, but I find the acquisition cost to add DeBrincat very high.  What other team wants to add a winger at 7.875 salary right now?  Kubalik is a decent player going back in trade plus the 1st rounder, I don't get it, does he not like Czek players? 

Glad Canucks took advantage.  Fans are going to find out starting in October just how good Hronek is.  

Hronek >  DeBrincat 
Hronek > Horvat 

• There it is 1

21 hours ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Glad Canucks took advantage.  Fans are going to find out starting in October just how good Hronek is.  

Hronek >  DeBrincat 
Hronek > Horvat

I had literally never paid any attention to him while in Detroit and he didn't play much in Van last season. 

What do you like the most about Hronek? What does he bring? 

Not enough attention given to the odds of this backfiring on Detroit.  Wouldn't be shocked to see DeBrincat post another 27 goal season with a pretty weak Detroit offense.  

18 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I had literally never paid any attention to him while in Detroit and he didn't play much in Van last season. 

I'd say presence on the ice in a strong and good way.  He can play 20 - 22 minutes a night and plays will run through him when he's on the ice as he is a 2 way defenceman with a flair for offence.  Like Hughes it makes sense to play him with a defensive player.  Canucks will come at teams in waves, first with Hughes, next with Hronek and maybe a third wave with Hirose/Wolanin.    

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Bobby James said:

He was a ppg big minute elite right shot D in Detroit for much of his last season there. He was leading their team to wins. When he came out of their lineup their club crumbled. He was their best player. 

• Wat 1

I think this is about what I would have expected. DeBrincat is a good player with lots of skill, but the sample size of how he performs in the playoffs is very small. Typically, players like this will struggle against opposing defenders playing all-out come post-season. (Ie: Gaudreau). Even in the regular season, tiny players like this rarely contribute much to the physical side of the game which forces the team to compensate elsewhere. (Why does everyone want a big defender to play with Huggy, as an example).

I think if he was a typical 6'0, 200lb player, he'd be more successful and earn more. But given the crazy prices players are signing for lately, this seems pretty dead-on to me. 

On 7/12/2023 at 8:01 AM, Alflives said:

He was a ppg big minute elite right shot D in Detroit for much of his last season there. He was leading their team to wins. When he came out of their lineup their club crumbled. He was their best player. 

Trading Bertuzzi had a bigger impact and Hronek wasn't their best player, more accurately their 4th/5th maybe. Larkin, Perron, Seider, and Raymond were better, Copp was on par, and when not hurt and until traded Bertuzzi was better too. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Trading Bertuzzi had a bigger impact and Hronek wasn't their best player, more accurately their 4th/5th maybe. Larkin, Perron, Seider, and Raymond were better, Copp was on par, and when not hurt and until traded Bertuzzi was better too. 

Brooklyn Nine Nine Reaction GIF

Raymond? Seriously? 

Copp? 

I’m not going to go full-Alf and suggest Hronek was better than Larkin (who is criminally underrated). But you’re really selling short how good Hronek was last year. Did you even look at the numbers before posting that?

51 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Brooklyn Nine Nine Reaction GIF

Raymond? Seriously? 

Copp? 

I’m not going to go full-Alf and suggest Hronek was better than Larkin (who is criminally underrated). But you’re really selling short how good Hronek was last year. Did you even look at the numbers before posting that?

Yes, Raymond's job is Offence he played very well offensively. Copp is a good all round player he was about on par with Hronek last season can make a solid case for an edge to Hronek for sure but that stiil puts him as their 4th/5th best player. They're nowhere near an elite team but they are pretty good on top end talent.