The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

IGNORE

Gator

30 minutes ago, Gator said:

40 may be a bit too high, but 30-35 is likely where it'd fall.

23 man roster + 7-12 man AHL depth. May make it just 25-30 round when it's all said and done. Like I said, nothing set in stone yet.

Things definitely will happen organically soon, but out of the gate I would like balance. If some GMs drop out after initial draft(s) I don't want the team(s) in shambles. I want them to be attractive destinations for a potential new GM if need be. Again nothing is set in stone, I'm just explaining my thoughts on why I feel the 2 seperate drafts may be the way to go. Could make it 1 draft up to 40-45 rounds and just limit the amount of unsigned prospects you can draft. That would essentially combine the 2 draft model and combine it into 1.. At the end of the day, I want this to be enjoyable experience for everyone

How could you possibly equitably assign draft position for the entry draft? Even if you picked last in the main draft and first in the entry draft you would get 2 of the top 33 players in the league + Connor Bedard. Seems there isn't a possible solution for this.

27 minutes ago, Caboose said:

How could you possibly equitably assign draft position for the entry draft? Even if you picked last in the main draft and first in the entry draft you would get 2 of the top 33 players in the league + Connor Bedard. Seems there isn't a possible solution for this.

Random draw for round 1, with the order continually reversing, at the end of each round?

28 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Random draw for round 1, with the order continually reversing, at the end of each round?

I mean for a separate entry draft.

There are no standings to work off to determine 1st overall

• Upvote 1

I think the only fair way to do a separate draft would be allowing teams to draft a draft pick in the main draft. It feels a bit unncessary to me but if teams could choose the 1st overall pick instead of a player it seems fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caboose said:

I am thinking about making an exception for Connor Bedard and putting him in the fantasy draft. As I've said nothing is set in stone, and will be taking everything into consideration before making a decision. There's a couple GMs working on little details with me in the background, and we are going to do our best to make the process as enjoyable and fair for everyone as possible. 

May even do a traditional draft style instead of a snake draft, and do reverse order of the fantasy draft for the prospect draft. That way you don't get elite talent in the fantasy draft at 32 & 33, and also get the best prospect available. I do agree that could be pretty OP

Edited by Gator

43 minutes ago, Gally said:

I think the only fair way to do a separate draft would be allowing teams to draft a draft pick in the main draft. It feels a bit unncessary to me but if teams could choose the 1st overall pick instead of a player it seems fair.

I like that idea tbh. Will for sure be considered

• Gator changed the title to [PICK YOUR TEAM - 20 SPOTS LEFT!] CDCGFL - CDC's "BRAND NEW" Fantasy League
2 hours ago, Gurn said:

just reverse the order of the expansion draft?

4 hours ago, Caboose said:

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Relyt Krets said:

Could always just do two draft lotteries? Keeps it random and all teams.habw an equal shot.

Also not opposed to see one big draft, and then capping amount of prospects you can draft in the main draft 

I just don't see why we want to restrict what GMs do at all. Its a 'fantasy' draft, what if one person's fantasy is to have a bunch of top prospects and another's is to have a good veteran team.

• Upvote 2

Just some thoughts on the draft:

Fantasy Inaugurational Draft rounds 1 and 2, random order, snake draft. 

Fantasy Inaugurational Draft rounds 3,4,and 5: the top 16 are now seeded 17 thru 32 where 1 is 17 and 16 is 32. The first two rounds 17 thru 32 are 1 thru 16 for these last three rounds.(continue till we have all drafted whatever the final number will be, 37 rounds?)

The second set of inaugural draft positions are used for the first and 2nd round of the entry level draft and lastly

the rounds 3 and 4 of the entry level draft are the first set of the Inaugural Draft rounds 1 and 2.

I will stop here as that is a tad complicated, and anymore words will muddy the waters. It is a fair split that ensures teams picking the best 16 dudes in the NHL will not also get to pick the best 16 draft eligibles.

So basically split the draft into four total draft days. It is only once in the existence of the league so isn't a very big burden for GM's, imo.

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Caboose said:

I just don't see why we want to restrict what GMs do at all. Its a 'fantasy' draft, what if one person's fantasy is to have a bunch of top prospects and another's is to have a good veteran team.

They technically can. Big mix of young and old players in the fantasy draft regardless of prospects being combined into the main draft.

I am trying to create a league that avoids the hard tank strategy. Not punishing them too harshly. Formatting the draft to allow someone to take 20 of the best prospects, before finally compiling a team of average or worse players, doesn't seem to be a smart play.

I do like @Gallysuggestion of having 1 draft, and just capping the amount of prospects you can take, and right now its looking like that may be the way we go with it.

36 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Just some thoughts on the draft:

Fantasy Inaugurational Draft rounds 1 and 2, random order, snake draft. 

Fantasy Inaugurational Draft rounds 3,4,and 5: the top 16 are now seeded 17 thru 32 where 1 is 17 and 16 is 32. The first two rounds 17 thru 32 are 1 thru 16 for these last three rounds.(continue till we have all drafted whatever the final number will be, 37 rounds?)

The second set of inaugural draft positions are used for the first and 2nd round of the entry level draft and lastly

the rounds 3 and 4 of the entry level draft are the first set of the Inaugural Draft rounds 1 and 2.

I will stop here as that is a tad complicated, and anymore words will muddy the waters. It is a fair split that ensures teams picking the best 16 dudes in the NHL will not also get to pick the best 16 draft eligibles.

So basically split the draft into four total draft days. It is only once in the existence of the league so isn't a very big burden for GM's, imo.

I'm considering the idea of randomizing each individual rounds order. I have someone willing to live feed the randomization process so that would depend on their willingness to do it. Will essentially be putting 40x(ish) more the workload on them by doing that.

We'll have something figured out. Hopefully sooner than later. Teamsheets are progressing pretty good, hopefully that'll be done withing the next week and we can start working on a CBA and getting dates set. Hoping to have the draft no later than OCT 1st. I would like to have a full 32 team league before doing it, but I know it'll be tough to do in such little time. Only 20 more to go though. Maybe it'll fill up a bit faster once that number starts getting closer to 0 lol

I plan to have this league going for the long haul. I don't want this to just be a little gimmick league that fails in a few years. A lot of things are being looked at to help improve the draft and free agency, and I'm also looking at a few other things that reward teams for their success. 

Agents will be shopping players (in most cases) rather than taking far below market value because they were the only team interested. To me it is an agents job to get the best deal for their client, and ALL things will be considered when an agent is deciding to sign a contract.. Veterans will likely chase a cup rather than money, younger players in their prime may take money over winning.. Tenure (loyalty) with team will play a factor... Player relations. Everything will be looked at and carefully considered. Tenure, Player relations, etc, could also play a big factor in a players willingness to extend with your team rather than test free agency. 

As for the draft I'm leaning towards doing round 1 & 2 one day, and 3-5 the next day. Likely a Saturday & Sunday. Just to allow for more time limits in the first 2 rounds where I feel a lot of strategy comes into play when it comes to trade up/down situations. Rounds 3-5 will likely be a speedy 3 minute a pick GML style, but I want to allow GMs the time to make good/bad decisions while on the clock in the early rounds.. Or other GMs to make a push for a trade up. 

from my memory of the shortlived EKL there were 35 or 42 rounds..somewhere in that frame for the inaugural draft and that is why i think the Entry Draft should be a seperate draft from teh picking of the 20 to 40 year olds that are already in a job in the NHL. it is just tooooo much work to do it all in one draft, imo. 

the inaugural draft in EKL was a few months long and had dozens of rounds. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Primal Optimist said:

from my memory of the shortlived EKL there were 35 or 42 rounds..somewhere in that frame for the inaugural draft and that is why i think the Entry Draft should be a seperate draft from teh picking of the 20 to 40 year olds that are already in a job in the NHL. it is just tooooo much work to do it all in one draft, imo. 

the inaugural draft in EKL was a few months long and had dozens of rounds. 

EKL was the first league I joined on here. Think I was the Sens and had Elias Pettersson but I joined the year it shut down.

Yea I'm torn on the 1-2 draft thing. Personally I think 2 would be better to do, but a lot seem to prefer the 1 draft method.

No matter what I want teams to draft minimum 25-30 players minimum for their NHL/AHL. So if we are adding 10-15 prospects were looking at a 40-45 round draft.

If I combine them I'll likely cap the amount of prospects you can select in the 1st 5, 10, and 20 rounds. After that, it'll be fair game up to a max of 10-15 total prospects. Atleast that's where my head is currently at with it.

I like the idea of just an absolutely massive draft, take prospects, NHL players, whoever you want, etc. and make it a snake draft so that they same people aren't picking at the front/back end of every round. 

Maybe I missed it, but after the draft, how do salaries get worked out? Is it based on NHL contracts or does everyone just become a UFA after the end of year 1?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I like the idea of just an absolutely massive draft, take prospects, NHL players, whoever you want, etc. and make it a snake draft so that they same people aren't picking at the front/back end of every round. 

Maybe I missed it, but after the draft, how do salaries get worked out? Is it based on NHL contracts or does everyone just become a UFA after the end of year 1?

Will be based on NHL contracts.