The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] Two trades to complete the team for this year

Frederic would be a good shift disturber, and McDonough and Rathbone's way to the league are blocked by guys ahead of them, but I would probably try for a Laughton or similar player to push Blueger down to 4C and trade those assets for that player (Frederic doesn't PK and also isn't good at draws, two areas of need for us).  Also it depends on what his arbitration ruling is-- he could be an expensive 3rd liner.

Not sure Winnipeg does their trade-- if they're having a fire sale DeMelo could go for more than a middle-6 winger, and they have enough winger depth even after losing Wheeler (Connor/ Ehlers/ Iafallo/ Niederreiter/ Vilardi/ probably Appleton) and they would probably want to trade an RHD for another valued asset in a top-6 C before getting more wingers IMO (esp. if Schiefele gets traded after PLD).

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

ah poor man you've given up on Pesce haven't you

The Pesce trade is on hold for now. He might be a UFA in the summer if Carolina just rides out his contract.  But realistically I think it’s best to wait on Willander to be Hughes future partner and to have some short term stop gaps in there until Willander is ready. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • There it is 3

16 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Frederic would be a good shift disturber, and McDonough and Rathbone's way to the league are blocked by guys ahead of them, but I would probably try for a Laughton or similar player to push Blueger down to 4C and trade those assets for that player (Frederic doesn't PK and also isn't good at draws, two areas of need for us).  Also it depends on what his arbitration ruling is-- he could be an expensive 3rd liner.

Not sure Winnipeg does their trade-- if they're having a fire sale DeMelo could go for more than a middle-6 winger, and they have enough winger depth even after losing Wheeler (Connor/ Ehlers/ Iafallo/ Niederreiter/ Vilardi/ probably Appleton) and they would probably want to trade an RHD for another valued asset in a top-6 C before getting more wingers IMO (esp. if Schiefele gets traded after PLD).

Winnipeg wants to be competitive. Their biggest challenge will be to get guys on long term deals to go there. Garland at least gives them 3 years until he’s a UFA. 

I’d be okay with a Garland for Dillon trade as well. Dillon could play with Hronek and Cole with Hughes. 

Winnipeg needs to do something before the season starts. I doubt they want to go into the season with 5-6 pending UFA’s. 

• Upvote 1

Trent Frederic scored 17 goals last year playing under 12 minutes a night and with no power play time. I think if you put him in the top 6 with Miller and Boeser and play him on the PP as a net front presence he could be a 30 goal scorer. 

I’d go hard after him. I like him a lot more than Tanner Jeannot. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

Dylan DeMelo

To Winnipeg:

Conor Garland

To Vancouver:

Trent Frederic

To Boston:

Aidan McDonough

Jack Rathbone

2024 4th round pick

Winnipeg is going to have a fire sale soon.  Lots of guys in the last year of their contracts.  They need to acquire some more guys with term.  Garland has 3 years left so would fit with what Winnipeg needs.  We acquire another RHD who can play with Hughes next year.  This is a short-term fix as DeMelo is a UFA next summer, so we open up $3 million in cap space next summer and Garland's contract is off the books.  DeMelo is a good penalty killer and can play 20 minutes a night.

Boston is in a tough situation right now.  They won't have any cap space once Frederic and Swayman are given new contracts and they might even be over the cap after the arbitrator decisions.  I'm sure they want to bring back Bergeron and Krejci for one more year, so they need cap space to do that.  By trading Frederic they can open up enough cap space to sign both Bergeron and Krejci for one more year.  Plus they get two local prospects who may do well playing back home.  Canucks get a nasty power forward who can play up and down the lineup and can bring all of the toughness that Tocchet wants on this team.

Kuzmenko     Pettersson    Beauvillier

Mikheyev       Miller            Boeser

Frederic         Blueger        Podkolzin

Joshua           Aman           PDG

Hoglander

Hughes     DeMelo

Cole          Hronek

Soucy       Myers

Irwin         Juulsen

Demko     Martin

In order to make the cap work we send Pearson, Dries and Studnicka to Abby. 

I think this team is good enough and tough enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a round or two, depending on Demko.  Also, we would have lots of expiring contracts for next summer to open up cap space.  Beauvillier, Blueger, DeMelo, Cole, Myers all come off the books next summer, freeing up $18 million in cap space to acquire new players plus re-sign Petey and Hronek.  With the cap going up around $4 million we would have almost $20 million in cap space next summer after the OEL buyout...

who is the grit on petey's line, petey?

• Haha 2

Winnipeg wants to be competitive. Their biggest challenge will be to get guys on long term deals to go there. Garland at least gives them 3 years until he’s a UFA. 

I’d be okay with a Garland for Dillon trade as well. Dillon could play with Hronek and Cole with Hughes. 

Winnipeg needs to do something before the season starts. I doubt they want to go into the season with 5-6 pending UFA’s. 

Every insider seems to be saying that Vancouver has been trying to trade Garland for a long time and can't find a reasonable deal - Seravalli even talks of sweetener.  Allvin didn't just say his preference is to avoid buyouts but instead argued against them, explaining that the dead cap would hurt the Canucks when they are looking to compete.  He also propped up OEL putting blame on the lack of system under Boudreau and his injury at the Worlds.  Would think that the OEL buyout was simply because he couldn't find takers for guys like Garland. 

Would guess that Allvin and his battery of AGMs have looked at all scenarios and called up every GM around.  Not sure that trying to make a fair deal is possible when the market seems to be saying that it would be lopsided in favour of the other team.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Trent Frederic scored 17 goals last year playing under 12 minutes a night and with no power play time. I think if you put him in the top 6 with Miller and Boeser and play him on the PP as a net front presence he could be a 30 goal scorer. 

I’d go hard after him. I like him a lot more than Tanner Jeannot. 

Frederic would be a huge presence on our team.  Put him on JT's line and you immediately have a gritty scoring

line.  This would allow Tocchet to replace Beau with Mik, who adds some grit, defensive coverage, blistering speed

and scoring.

I think Boston wants an offer with a better prospect though.   Frederic is just starting his peak years, so will

likely improve on his stats over the next few years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, mll said:

Every insider seems to be saying that Vancouver has been trying to trade Garland for a long time and can't find a reasonable deal - Seravalli even talks of sweetener.  Allvin didn't just say his preference is to avoid buyouts but instead argued against them, explaining that the dead cap would hurt the Canucks when they are looking to compete.  He also propped up OEL putting blame on the lack of system under Boudreau and his injury at the Worlds.  Would think that the OEL buyout was simply because he couldn't find takers for guys like Garland. 

Would guess that Allvin and his battery of AGMs have looked at all scenarios and called up every GM around.  Not sure that trying to make a fair deal is possible when the market seems to be saying that it would be lopsided in favour of the other team.  

Not just Garland, but also Brock.   They did what they could, wouldn't lump OEL's buyout into an inability to trade Garland though.   At least Garland isn't hurting his team with the minutes he's getting and his assignments.   OEL and Tochett had history that spilled over a little in ARI.  

Now Allvin has told the media Brock isn't getting traded.   Nobody would be "shocked" (or should be) if he's traded either.    It's a chess game.   You sometimes have to take things off the market to garner interest.    Tell people they can't have things, it makes them more desirable.     Garland has kind of taken the place of Pearson and Sutter on this forum, as the odd man out. 

Myers is like the new LE.  Just a pipe dream (that he's traded).    But well we did trade LE.   JBs biggest mistake and arguably one of the worst things that's ever happened to this club.    Allvin likely won't still be around by the time OELs buyout is done.    IF Garland is such a problem, why not just buy him out instead of OEL? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

If Garland cannot be traded under any circumstances and if they really wanted to keep OEL then they could have just bought out Garland instead. And not signed one of Cole or Soucy. Would have helped with their excess wing situation as well. 

I’m pretty sure Tocchet didn’t want OEL around and wanted more sandpaper on the backend. They can live with Garland on the 3rd line but absolutely did not want OEL on the 3rd pairing making over $7 million. 

• Upvote 2

I'd do both deals. For the first, I'm not sure we win that trade exactly, but it helps alleviate the cap issue which I guess is a significant factor right now. We lose a rather redundant scoring winger, and receive a bigger guy who should help make us harder to play against. We have enough wingers to make up the slack.

This would help shore up the remainder of our lineup - except for the fact I still feel we need a better 3C. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/16/2023 at 9:50 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Winnipeg is going to have a fire sale soon.  

Hold Fire Sale GIF

I do like your proposals, but as far as value goes, McDonaugh and Rathbone are worth as much as a winger in Frederic, probably wouldn't have to add there.