The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surrey Policing Decision Finally Made - SPS Transition Over Reverting to RCMP

DonLever

Province orders City of Surrey to stick with transition to municipal police force | CBC News

They have been arguing over this for years.   And wasting money for years.

Ridiculous for cancelling the transittion to the SPS when it was half done.  Why does current Mayor Locke like the RCMP, considering all the scandals of the RCMP, is beyond me.  Nothing special about the RCMP.  

• Vintage 1

Seems like Farns just dont like Locke.

Thought it was a municipal desicion.

But if the province is going to jump in here, go against the will of the mayor and the main reason she was voted in...

...how about doing the same for housing? take that away from the municipalities while you're at it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Meh. 

Glad it’s over with. 

That city needed way more policing levels than the RCMP could provide. That’s pretty much the issue. 

Surrey is going to be the largest City in BC eventually and it makes some sense to have its own police services, particularly of people that live and know the people and the city intimately. 

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Meh. 

Glad it’s over with. 

That city needed way more policing levels than the RCMP could provide. That’s pretty much the issue. 

Surrey is going to be the largest City in BC eventually and it makes some sense to have its own police services, particularly of people that live and know the people and the city intimately. 

I'm not sure how it works but do municipal forces have the intergration out of their jurisdiction that RCMP do?

For example, if a gang memeber commits a crime in Surrey but lives in North Van, would the City of North Van and the Surrey force have the cohesion that the RCMP could have in the same situation?

Also, it was supposed to be a municipal decision, it seems to be the will of the people, since Locke won....as from the article. 'Mayor Brenda Locke made keeping the RCMP the signature issue in her election campaign last October.'

Edited by bishopshodan

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm not sure how it works but do municipal forces have the intergration out of their jurisdiction that RCMP do?

For example, if a gang memeber commits a crime in Surrey but lives in North Van, would the City of North Van and the Surrey force have the cohesion that the RCMP could have in the same situation?

They'd need to be given access to IHIT (Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (rcmp-grc.gc.ca), which would be a must as Slurrey is ground zero for crime in BC.

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Also, it was supposed to be a municipal decision, it seems to be the will of the people, since Locke won....as from the article. 'Mayor Brenda Locke made keeping the RCMP the signature issue in her election campaign last October.'

The will of the people matters less and less, the higher one goes in government. It's an infection that spreads faster the more money is thrown at it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm not sure how it works but does municipal forces have the intergration out of their jurisdiction that RCMP do?

Also, it was supposed to be a municipal decision, it seems to be the will of the peope, since Locke won....as from the article. 'Mayor Brenda Locke made keeping the RCMP the signature issue in her election campaign last October.'

There is generally a cooperative collaboration between all municipalities across the GVRD. It may not be as seamless as say two RCMP staffed regions of course, but it shouldn’t interfere with policing when it comes to cross jurisdictional necessities/investigations. 

I think the Province stepped in because Locke couldn’t assure that the RCMP was capable of providing the levels of service, so stepped in as he’s able to under the Police Act, for Public Safety reasons, which is under Provincial jurisdiction. 

I get that it should be a municipal decision, but if the decision affects public safety then it appears there’s a mechanism to ensure public safety by usurping the municipal decision for another more viable option at the discretion of the Public Safety Minister. 

Just glad the drama is over with. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

They'd need to be given access to IHIT (Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (rcmp-grc.gc.ca), which would be a must as Slurrey is ground zero for crime in BC.

The will of the people matters less and less, the higher one goes in government. It's an infection that spreads faster the more money is thrown at it. 

I’m sure that would be easy to access in order to transition to a Major Crimes/Homicide type Unit. I’m sure information sharing will continue. 

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

There is generally a cooperative collaboration between all municipalities across the GVRD. It may not be as seamless as say two RCMP staffed regions of course, but it should interfere with policing when it comes to cross jurisdictional necessities/investigations. 

I think the Province stepped in because Locke couldn’t assure that the RCMP was capable of providing the levels

of service, so stepped in as he’s able to under the Police Act, for Public Safety reasons, which is under Provincial jurisdiction. 

I get that it should be a municipal decision, but if the decision affects public safety then it appears there’s a mechanism to ensure public safety by usurping the municipal decision for another more viable option at the discretion of the Public Safety Minister. 

I dunno.

The last mayor seemed like a pile of dung, this one got voted in trying to reset this issue, one that she ran on, 

Again, will of the people. 

It just seems like Farns hates Locke to me. As he said " extraordinary use of my powers"

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I dunno.

The last mayor seemed like a pile of dung, this one got voted in trying to reset this issue, one that she ran on, 

Again, will of the people. 

It just seems like Farns hates Locke to me. As he said " extraordinary use of my powers"

The former mayor was a piece of work, but wasn’t as bad, I think, as many made him out to be. 

Locke seized on a political opportunity and ran with it. I’m not sure if she had a viable plan in place other than to

just hit the brakes on the transition. Now she’s not going to admit that maybe it’s a bell that can’t or shouldn’t be ‘unrung’ but that would undermine her whole candidacy, so she’s stuck. 

I don’t know if there’s any ‘hate’ per se, but I wouldn’t doubt that Farnsworth looked at things and just didn’t have the patience or desire to deal

with someone maybe he thinks is making an incompetent decision. I don’t think it’s personal though. I could be wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

There is generally a cooperative collaboration between all municipalities across the GVRD. It may not be as seamless as say two RCMP staffed regions of course, but it shouldn’t interfere with policing when it comes to cross jurisdictional necessities/investigations. 

Not according to some VPD members (both former and current) that I know. The RCMP has an air of superiority that permeates its overall communications with other municipalities. 

I think the Province stepped in because Locke couldn’t assure that the RCMP was capable of providing the levels of service, so stepped in as he’s able to under the Police Act, for Public Safety reasons, which is under Provincial jurisdiction.

The NDP stepped in because they had the power to, and that's pretty much it. The onus should also fall on the RCMP to prove that it could handle the workload, which it can't, and it's proven it over and over again, with the present state of Surrey and the rampant crime in BC (and Surrey especially) being an indictment of the overall organization's effectiveness in the province. BCPP would be a better option. 

Public safety is still an issue in most parts of the province, so the Ministry of Public Safety is failing its most basic requirement. 

You think it's over? :lol:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The former mayor was a piece of work, but wasn’t as bad, I think, as many made him out to be. 

Locke seized on a political opportunity and ran with it. I’m not sure if she had a viable plan in place other than to

just hit the brakes on the transition. Now she’s not going to admit that maybe it’s a bell that can’t or shouldn’t be ‘unrung’ but that would undermine her whole candidacy, so she’s stuck. 

I don’t know if there’s any ‘hate’ per se, but I wouldn’t doubt that Farnsworth looked at things and just didn’t have the patience or desire to deal

with someone maybe he thinks is making an incompetent decision. I don’t think it’s personal though. I could be wrong. 

Good points, by both you a mr Blunt. 

My main concern is trying to fight gangs. Which is not a Surrey specific issue. 

It been a long time of problems, my band mate actually saw Bindy get shot, we were both working in clubs that night. Through time I had run ins with gangs as I continued in the clubs for another 15 years. I was a member of Barwatch DT. The gangs come from all over now.  I always felt that if the RCMP could have more support, they could be more effective than a local force

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It been a long time of problems, my band mate actually saw Bindy get shot, we were both working in clubs that night. Through time I had run ins with gangs as I continued in the clubs for another 15 years. I was a member of Barwatch DT. The gangs come from all over now.  I always felt that if the RCMP could have more support, they could be more effective than a local force

Fact is, law enforcement can only do so much. Really, they can only manage the situation to stifle growth of said gangs, as eradication of them is near impossible. From what I've heard, if a gang keeps its business quiet, they can pretty much operate with little issue. It's once the operations start spilling into the average citizen's life and causing chaos and strife does law enforcement truly crack down. 

One cop said it's akin to a high wire act. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Fact is, law enforcement can only do so much. Really, they can only manage the situation to stifle growth of said gangs, as eradication of them is near impossible. From what I've heard, if a gang keeps its business quiet, they can pretty much operate with little issue. It's once the operations start spilling into the average citizen's life and causing chaos and strife does law enforcement truly crack down. 

One cop said it's akin to a high wire act. 

Thanks Phil. That makes a ton of sense. 

I'm actaully part way through getting recruited (hopefully) for Corrections, so I bet I will understand a lot more in time. 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Thanks Phil. That makes a ton of sense. 

I'm actaully part way through getting recruited (hopefully) for Corrections, so I bet I will understand a lot more in time. 

You will, from more than one perspective too, which is really the best way to learn and understand. 

Good luck with the recruitment. I guess it's more of a general recruitment and not a location specific one?

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You will, from more than one perspective too, which is really the best way to learn and understand. 

Good luck with the recruitment. I guess it's more of a general recruitment and not a location specific one?

Usually is but I'm lucky, NCC is expanding and going to all levels of security, so they need people.

If you put that as desired destination on your application, you will very, very likely end up there. They have told me directly that I will be put there if I make it through. I've passed the COPAT, on to the BEI next.

Again, lucky. My bud did 2 years at Wilki before getting transferred, commuting from mid island to Vic.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'd argue that local cops who understand the gang culture in Surrey are better suited for the job. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Usually is but I'm lucky, NCC is expanding and going to all levels of security, so they need people.

If you put that as desired destination on your application, you will very, very likely end up there. They have told me directly that I will be put there if I make it through. I've passed the COPAT, on to the BEI next.

Again, lucky. My bud did 2 years at Wilki before getting transferred, commuting from mid island to Vic.

Fair enough. I've heard that the Kent Institution can be hard to be at, at times.  

• Cheers 1