The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surrey Policing Decision Finally Made - SPS Transition Over Reverting to RCMP

DonLever

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd argue that local cops who understand the gang culture in Surrey are better suited for the job. 

Sure. Thats a good point.

Again, my main concern was bc wide cohesion and support. That, and simply wondering if this is the right thing to do by the province. This mayor was voted in running on this issue, it was supposed to be the municipalities decision. Will of the people thingy. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They'd need to be given access to IHIT (Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (rcmp-grc.gc.ca), which would be a must as Slurrey is ground zero for crime in BC.

The will of the people matters less and less, the higher one goes in government. It's an infection that spreads faster the more money is thrown at it. 

If the people don't have power, then we're not a democracy. And things need to change. Surrey RCMP had/has access to IHIT and other coordinated resources.

That's the point of the coordinated resources.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Which is odd the last known sighting was Kelowna.

Probably because the dad (in Surrey) filed the complaint to the Surrey police.

My guess is the mother is long gone crossing into Alberta and beyond.

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

Not according to some VPD members (both former and current) that I know. The RCMP has an air of superiority that permeates its overall communications with other municipalities. 

The NDP stepped in because they had the power to, and that's pretty much it. The onus should also fall on the RCMP to prove that it could handle the workload, which it can't, and it's proven it over and over again, with the present state of Surrey and the rampant crime in BC (and Surrey especially) being an indictment of the overall organization's effectiveness in the province. BCPP would be a better option. 

Public safety is still an issue in most parts of the province, so the Ministry of Public Safety is failing its most basic requirement. 

You think it's over? :lol:

True. There’s been history between VPD and RCMP. 

I’ve heard that as well. Perhaps there won’t be as much tension between Mounties and SPS. Who knows. 

VPD and SPS should have better relations though as I recall SPS is using or going to be using some of the city policing expertise of VPD as they go forward. 

I don’t think all the drama is entirely over. The fallout will keep that going. I meant the drama over the decision is over. 

Not according to some VPD members (both former and current) that I know. The RCMP has an air of superiority that permeates its overall communications with other municipalities. 

Don't the VPD get paid more than the RCMP or is that not the case anymore?  "Back in the day", it seemed the RCMP would lose some of their members due to transfering to higher paid gigs at the VPD (not to mention not being assigned to remoted areas in BC).

30 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Don't the VPD get paid more than the RCMP or is that not the case anymore?  "Back in the day", it seemed the RCMP would lose some of their members due to transfering to higher paid gigs at the VPD (not to mention not being assigned to remoted areas in BC).

Not sure what the wage difference is. I do know that the VPD have supposedly more requirements to meet for recruitment. 

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m guessing that the current RCMP will become Surrey Police, so the officers will mostly be the same people with just different uniforms? 

I don’t think it’s that simple. RCMP officers may have tenure that they won’t want to give up. Some may request transfer to a less f**ked up part of BC (what part isn’t less f**ked up) and others would have to first meet requirements to allow for recruitment. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure what the wage difference is. I do know that the VPD have supposedly more requirements to meet for recruitment. 

It’s an incredibly difficult job that is only (with this stupid hate the police crap out there) getting harder. These officers should get paid a lot. My God! They have to police Surrey!!! 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don’t think it’s that simple. RCMP officers may have tenure that they won’t want to give up. Some may request transfer to a less f**ked up part of BC (what part isn’t less f**ked up) and others would have to first meet requirements to allow for recruitment. 

Good point. Plus the officers could choose locations that are far less expensive to live than down here. They’d be in a better city for work and a better spot for cost of living. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The mean streets of "Shaughnessy Heights".:ph34r:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's more a philosophical and community differences. I had instructors at the Justice Institute that were VPD and New Westminster Police. The issue is City police take a vow to serve and protect the citizens. Where the RCMP oath is to the Corps. Add to the fact RCMP officers get moved to other jurisdictions. You could be Richmond one day. Then find yourself in D division in Manitoba the next. It's hard to be attached to your community if they can just reassign you.

Now that's the view of city police. I found it interesting that they said one of BC's biggest mistakes was getting rid of the BC Provincial Police in 1950. That at least if we had BCPP instead of RCMP at least we'd have more transparency, and control. But that's similar to the argument for the Surrey City Police.

And with the BCPP, there’d be more of a presence on the highways and regions in between cities and towns. Now? I drrove from Vancouver to Osoyoos and didn’t see a single solitary car on the entire drive. I go into Washington and I see state patrol by Bellingham. 

• Upvote 2

My only concern with this how it'll effect small businesses. Because Delta police department killed the restaurant scene in Delta.   If there's police just waiting outside restaurants looking for anyone to give a ticket to, customers are going to stop coming to that area and spend less there.

7 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

My only concern with this how it'll effect small businesses. Because Delta police department killed the restaurant scene in Delta.   If there's police just waiting outside restaurants looking for anyone to give a ticket to, customers are going to stop coming to that area and spend less there.

Are you saying it's ok to drink and drive? I go to the Milltown Pub in South Van. I tip well. If I'm driving I don't drink. If I walk down, then I can drink.

Would you rather "kill" a scene, or see people getting killed by impaired driving? Last thing I want to hear is a kid crossing a street in Delta getting smoked by a drunk driver.

• Cheers 1