The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Tony DeAngelo

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

When you're as much of a liability as DeAngelo is in his own zone, it doesn't matter how many points you put up.  His defensive play doesn't even approach an acceptable standard and he threw a tantrum when Torts threw him in the press box for refusing to even try to play like an NHLer.  He's absolute trash on the ice as well as off it.

I'm not a Torts fan, but I'm with him on this one.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't think they were in the sweepstakes. I read somewhere in the past week that Karlsson made it clear he didn't want to play in Carolina because he can't stand Brent Burns. Anybody else read or hear that?

i heard leafs were possible , heard nylander was one of the peices that would go ..but it was just all rumors from the net and instagrams stuffs :P so ya was mainly carolina and penguins, but if leafs do part ways with nylancder and buy out that goalie, they would have cap space for karlsson

4 hours ago, Master Mind said:

They have one of the best D corps in the league. No need to tinker too much with it.

But tinkering they are. 

They've added predominately offensive D Orlov, only offense DeAngleo and Pesce is very much rumored to be available.

This is on top of largely offensive D's in Burns and Skej.

I don't know who's going to be defending/PK'ing other than Slavin and Chatfield...but those two are going to be TIRED :lol:

Edited by aGENT

Nice bit of GM’ing. When the deal with 50% retained fell apart they said we will just hold off and ended up saving almost a million cap. 
Now why they would want this a-hole I don’t know but I guess they need more offence and their forwards are so good defensively they make it work. 
Not like they didn’t have him before and a Carolina swamp sounds like the perfect spot for that guy. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

They lack dynamic offensive weapons and that’s what he is. The rest they can figure out. 
But getting rid of Pesce and bringing Karlsson in is very questionable.

34 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But tinkering they are. 

They've added predominately offensive D Orlov, only offense DeAngleo and Pesce is very much rumored to be available.

This is on top of largely offensive D's in Burns and Skej.

I don't know who'd going to be defending/PK'ing other than Slavin and Chatfield...but those two are going to be TIRED :lol:

Feels like they're overreacting to their lack of scoring.

Slavin - Burns

Skjei - Pesce

Orlov - DeAngelo

Chatfield

Take Pesce out, and you have DeAngelo bumped up to 2nd pair, who wouldn't have Slavin to cover up for him like last time.

Sure, they need to improve the offense, but I question how much of an improvement it will be to bring in DeAngelo to run the 2nd PP unit, considering the negative impact he'll bring defensively.

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Feels like they're overreacting to their lack of scoring.

Slavin - Burns

Skjei - Pesce

Orlov - DeAngelo

Chatfield

Take Pesce out, and you have DeAngelo bumped up to 2nd pair, who wouldn't have Slavin to cover up for him like last time.

Sure, they need to improve the offense, but I question how much of an improvement it will be to bring in DeAngelo to run the 2nd PP unit, considering the negative impact he'll bring defensively.

I'd imagine they'll play Chatfield with Skej in that scenario...can you imagine Skej-DeAngelo as a regular pair 5v5?:lol:

I have to imagine Skej (also on an expiring deal) must be on the block with Pesce as well...then fill in the other pairs with cheaper defensive D (possibly as return pieces from moving Pesce/Skej). 

Slavin, Burns

Orlov, Chatfield/ (or trade/UFA)

trade/UFA, DeAngelo

Probably makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Risky AF making such large changes to "fix" something that wasn't broke but it follows their M.O. Sell high on expiring Pesce/Skej, while replacing them with lower risk, short term deals that don't hamstring the club. Not sure it's a cup winning plan...but it will keep them competitive. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'd imagine they'll play Chatfield with Skej in that scenario...can you imagine Skej-DeAngelo as a regular pair 5v5?:lol:

I have to imagine Skej (also on an expiring deal) must be on the block with Pesce as well...then fill in the other pairs with cheaper defensive D (possibly as return pieces from moving Pesce/Skej). 

Slavin, Burns

trade/UFA, DeAngelo

Probably makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Risky AF making such large changes to "fix" something that wasn't broke but it follows their M.O. Sell high on expiring Pesce/Skej, while replacing them with lower risk, short term deals that don't hamstring the club. Not sure it's a cup winning plan...but it will keep them competitive. 

With Deangelo in the group my hunch is they keep Pesce and trade Skjei instead...

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With Deangelo in the group my hunch is they keep Pesce and trade Skjei instead...

They already had LD Orlov to replace LD Skej and were still rumoured to be shopping Pesce. I don't think DeAngelo changes that.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They already had LD Orlov to replace LD Skej and were still rumoured to be shopping Pesce. I don't think DeAngelo changes that.

So, you're thinking they are trading both Skjei and Pesce?  

Orlov        Chatfield

Coghlan   Deangelo

That bottom four looks terrifying...   :lol:

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you're thinking they are trading both Skjei and Pesce?  

Orlov        Chatfield

Coghlan   Deangelo

That bottom four looks terrifying...   :lol:

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

then fill in the other pairs with cheaper defensive D (possibly as return pieces from moving Pesce/Skej). 

Slavin, Burns

trade/UFA, DeAngelo

I don't think they'll trade Pesce but if they did, remember Slavin and Deangelo were a great pairing for CAR in 2021-22 with a +23 rating.

I wonder if they'd run with:

Slavin Deangelo

Orlov Burns

Skjei Chatfield

But they look much better with Pesce in the mix.

• Cheers 1