The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Tony DeAngelo

12 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't think they were in the sweepstakes. I read somewhere in the past week that Karlsson made it clear he didn't want to play in Carolina because he can't stand Brent Burns. Anybody else read or hear that?

lol... does he not think about no one can stand him? 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

But tinkering they are. 

They've added predominately offensive D Orlov, only offense DeAngleo and Pesce is very much rumored to be available.

This is on top of largely offensive D's in Burns and Skej.

I don't know who's going to be defending/PK'ing other than Slavin and Chatfield...but those two are going to be TIRED :lol:

I'm just going to put it out there that Orlov and Skjei are firmly two-way D-men, and have been for some time now.  Obviously Orlov is the superior player, but neither of them are pure offensive players - they didn't even feature on the power play last year.  Really not sure where you got that impression of Skjei from - he's one of the primary defenders on the penalty kill.  I guess his insane goal-scoring makes an impression.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Number, SymbolCould contain: Person, Text, Face, HeadCould contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Face, Head, Text

The standard pairings of Slavin-Burns and Skjei-Pesce were used pretty well on the penalty kill last year.  Adding Orlov and replacing Pesce with Chatfield/DeAngelo is obviously going to disrupt that blueline a lot, but Carolina plays a 5-man defense (or in PK, a 4-man defense).  They are a team that's stacked with two-way forwards with a head coach famous for being a two-way forward.  Just go down the list: Aho, Kotkaniemi, Jarvis, Teravainen, Staal, Fast... and there's even more further down the depth chart.  two-way two-way two-way two-way

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you're thinking they are trading both Skjei and Pesce?  

Orlov        Chatfield

Coghlan   Deangelo

That bottom four looks terrifying...   :lol:

That leaves an obvious hole at the third LD position.  There's no way they trade two top-four blueliners and don't take a single D-man back.  Are there any decent left-handed defencemen still on the UFA market?  Caleb Jones, maybe?  Nick Holden?  Alex the Eagle?

Not sure where he's going to play, that defence is so stacked on the left and right sides. Orlov is a decent puck mover but now they've got another one. For 1.6M he'll probably be their 3rd pairing RD which is nuts.

Orlov - Burns

Slavin - Pesce

Skeij - DeAngelo

Chatfield

That 3rd pairing is better than most teams top pairings. Skeij is a premier defensive defenceman, DeAngelo is trash defensively but one of the best puck movers in the game whether you like him or hate him. Unreal depth.

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I'm just going to put it out there that Orlov and Skjei are firmly two-way D-men, and have been for some time now.  Obviously Orlov is the superior player, but neither of them are pure offensive players - they didn't even feature on the power play last year.  Really not sure where you got that impression of Skjei from - he's one of the primary defenders on the penalty kill.  I guess his insane goal-scoring makes an impression.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Number, SymbolCould contain: Person, Text, Face, HeadCould contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Face, Head, Text

The standard pairings of Slavin-Burns and Skjei-Pesce were used pretty well on the penalty kill last year.  Adding Orlov and replacing Pesce with Chatfield/DeAngelo is obviously going to disrupt that blueline a lot, but Carolina plays a 5-man defense (or in PK, a 4-man defense).  They are a team that's stacked with two-way forwards with a head coach famous for being a two-way forward.  Just go down the list: Aho, Kotkaniemi, Jarvis, Teravainen, Staal, Fast... and there's even more further down the depth chart.  two-way two-way two-way two-way

That leaves an obvious hole at the third LD position.  There's no way they trade two top-four blueliners and don't take a single D-man back.  Are there any decent left-handed defencemen still on the UFA market?  Caleb Jones, maybe?  Nick Holden?  Alex the Eagle?

Based on everything but their very recent history of their play. And I said "predominately offensive". AKA offense leaning, 2 way D.

I'm well aware of how Carolina plays. Personally I think (potentially) "replacing" Pesce with DeAngelo, while adding an unnecessary Orlov behind Slavin and Skej is just plain weird but we'll see how it all works out...

The amount of variance in those charts illustrates the limits of their value FYI.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Based on everything but their very recent history of their play. And I said "predominately offensive". AKA offense leaning, 2 way D.

I'm well aware of how Carolina plays. Personally I think (potentially) "replacing" Pesce with DeAngelo, while adding an unnecessary Orlov behind Slavin and Skej is just plain weird but we'll see how it all works out...

The amount of variance in those charts illustrates the limits of their value FYI.

The charts aren't 100% indicative of overall play but goals/60 is purely objective and all three guys are insane

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd imagine they'll play Chatfield with Skej in that scenario...can you imagine Skej-DeAngelo as a regular pair 5v5?:lol:

I have to imagine Skej (also on an expiring deal) must be on the block with Pesce as well...then fill in the other pairs with cheaper defensive D (possibly as return pieces from moving Pesce/Skej). 

Slavin, Burns

Orlov, Chatfield/ (or trade/UFA)

trade/UFA, DeAngelo

Probably makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Risky AF making such large changes to "fix" something that wasn't broke but it follows their M.O. Sell high on expiring Pesce/Skej, while replacing them with lower risk, short term deals that don't hamstring the club. Not sure it's a cup winning plan...but it will keep them competitive. 

That feels like they'd be asking a lot of Chatfield to play 2nd pair

I imagine CDC wouldn't be too happy if he were to thrive in that role after we let him go :unsure:

I wouldn't be surprised if they simply let Skjei or Pesce walk. Maybe whoever asks for more to re-sign. They've been comfortable with letting others go before (Hamilton, Trocheck, etc)