The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Ferries isn't as prepared for the long weekend as they thought they'd be...

Nucklehead22

The Queen of Surrey was built in 1981- so 42 yrs old.

Of note this is the ship that had the engine room fire, in May of 2003.

Car deck got so hot that tires were melting.

When the crew deployed the Co2 fire suppression system it blew  multiple lines off the co2 cylinders, resulting in a only partial effective coverage, Fortunately one of the  outlets, that did work was basically right over top of the fire.

https://bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/marine/2003/m03w0073/m03w0073.pdf

• Upvote 1

WestJet CEO: $700,000, Average for executives: $237,478 as per comparably.com.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-ferries-executive-pay-soars-despite-damning-report

A report in 2022, stated CEO made $535,000 and the VP's made $355,000 to $452,000 per year. The report recommended that the CEO cap out at $500,000 in pay and benefits, and the VP's reduced to $347,000 per year.

Despite the reports recommendations, the previous CEO then jumped to $581,952, the COO, and CFO was making $491,796, and $470,371 per year....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

WestJet CEO: $700,000, Average for executives: $237,478 as per comparably.com.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-ferries-executive-pay-soars-despite-damning-report

A report in 2022, stated CEO made $535,000 and the VP's made $355,000 to $452,000 per year. The report recommended that the CEO cap out at $500,000 in pay and benefits, and the VP's reduced to $347,000 per year.

Despite the reports recommendations, the previous CEO then jumped to $581,952, the COO, and CFO was making $491,796, and $470,371 per year....

The whole thing has been run in a terrible fashion, for years

Back when it was 'privatized' a law firm was hired to sell shares to outside investors-guaranteeing them a fixed rate of return.

I guess it was just a coincidence that the Law firm belonged to a member of the Board at b.c. ferries?

One thing I'll add- Mike Corrigan former CEO- didn't always like his decisions, but the man was a straight shooter, no bull shit or  empty platitudes from him.

I was at a meeting regarding the implementation of a new safety  regime, and Mike, then the #2 guy, was there.

He got up and talked for about 10 minutes and then sat down as a union rep took over for a bit.

When she was done in a similar amount of time, a Safety Officer got up and started talking.

A couple minutes into his speech I began to put a little check mark in my note book- every time the Safety guy said something like "As Mr. Corrigan has already mentioned- as Mike previously said-as noted by Mr. Corrigan" and so on. 

After hearing the phrasing multiple time I looked over at Corrigan, who was slowly turning redder and redder.

During the coffee break I go over and ask him " So, what is it like, being fluffed by that guy?"

He looks me straight in the eye and says " I  HATE THAT SHIT".

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

A lot of the problems would be solved if they'd just give people an actual schedule instead of the on call BS.  Since the departures have a schedule already, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to draw something up.

Especially they KNOW it's the high season. And it's busiest from July 1 weekend through to Labour Day. Not rocket surgery.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

A lot of the problems would be solved if they'd just give people an actual schedule instead of the on call BS.  Since the departures have a schedule already, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to draw something up.

Most of the ships are crewed to the minimum levels allowed by transport Canada, so if someone is ill, or late, and can't make the ship they have to wait for a qualified  person that gets called in.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Gurn said:

Most of the ships are crewed to the minimum levels allowed by transport Canada, so if someone is ill, or late, and can't make the ship they have to wait for a qualified  person that gets called in.

I listen to AM730 Traffic when I commute to work. (Only two days a week, hybrid job) And I've literally heard cancellations, and them saying a staffer will come in and it will be result in one cancelled sailing. I'm like seriously????

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I listen to AM730 Traffic when I commute to work. (Only two days a week, hybrid job) And I've literally heard cancellations, and them saying a staffer will come in and it will be result in one cancelled sailing. I'm like seriously????

I do the same (listen to AM730) when driving...to work/anywhere. Just to get the latest updates.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

When a member of the catering crew can't show up it is a bit difficult to find a replacement

when it is a deckhand or 'oiler/engine room assistant' it is more difficult.

If it is an engineering officer, or deck officer it gets a lot harder.

If It is the Chief Engineer or Captain it is extremely difficult- to the point they have had to fly guys in from other terminals. And even then those folk are supposed to be trained and cleared on the vessel they are going to.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I wonder if it's time to get a floatplane licence? Then my family who has places in the Gulf Islands, and step siblings on Bowen and Nanaimo I can always fly in and get them home. :)

Any reason to fly a plane, is a good reason to fly a plane. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gurn said:

When a member of the catering crew can't show up it is a bit difficult to find a replacement

when it is a deckhand or 'oiler/engine room assistant' it is more difficult.

If it is an engineering officer, or deck officer it gets a lot harder.

If It is the Chief Engineer or Captain it is extremely difficult- to the point they have had to fly guys in from other terminals. And even then those folk are supposed to be trained and cleared on the vessel they are going to.

Maybe a good idea to have more than minimum staff levels then. Yeah it's more expenses, but your service levels improve.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2