The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Professor John McWhorter on the politics of race

Professor John McWhorter is a child of two black activists from the 1970s, who has seen things progress to where we are today.  His point of view is very interesting and accurate especially with this offshoot that's come up in the last few years called "anti-racism".

Thought it was worth sharing. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Professor John McWhorter is a child of two black activists from the 1970s, who has seen things progress to where we are today.  His point of view is very interesting and accurate especially with this offshoot that's come up in the last few years called "anti-racism".

Thought it was worth sharing. 

It is worth sharing. I agree with his presentation on the social commentary. It is truly bad that one can be robbed of an opinion because of their skin colour, for example. I witnessed a certain student be 'shushed' for their opinion for being white, but he later identified in that same forum that he was in fact mixed race. Oops. What an egg on the face of those so-called 'anti-racist'.

It should be clear that being anti-racist should not mean silencing 'white' voices and I'm not saying that because I'm white; I'm actually NOT white. Without denying that there's been a lot of progress on the race front, the issue of racism is STILL an ongoing issue towards minorities. If we expanded beyond race, lots of other minorities (religious, gender, or underwise) are under attack as well. I won't claim to speak on their behalf, only that I am aware of those issues.

Something that needs to be added in that discussion is that with any movement, there will always be opportunists. We've seen black members of society scam people, INCLUDING their own brethren for a 'quick buck', for example. The BLM movement was unfortunately tainted by a certain group of people who decided to RIOT, rather than protest peacefully. We seen that level of RIOTING happen in Paris, which had absolutely nothing to do with the pension issue itself.

For anything to be anti-racist, we need to have EVERYONE talking about racism. White people may not have been targets of racism here, but they sure were/are targets in South Africa. Asians were/are certainly targeted in North America, but other races of people were/are targeted in Asia. Racism requires no skin colour. We are all capable of hate, but we are also capable of love.

Communication is important. Social media does not help with this in any way whatsoever. It just worsens things. We've seen the bold racist online. Those people may or may not have the idiocy to try that in person. Then again, racism is very complex and goes beyond the racist language.

Edited by Dazzle