The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry to Red Wings for Gustav Lindstrom, conditional 2025 4th-round pick

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They did have an impressive streak of top 10 busts didn’t they? :lol:

Too early to call Kakko and Lafreniere busts but certainly you would hope they’d be in your top 6 by age 21/22 considering where they were drafted.

Good thing they had two picks those years and kind of made up for it with Miller and Chytil.

Dont forget the 7th overall they wasted on Lias Anderson in the same draft as Chytil. I don't think getting a 45 point center makes up for a 7th and a 21st overall draft pick. Let alone balances out a stagnated 1st and 2nd overall.

Miller was a steal I will give you that.

• Cheers 1

People jumping all over former worlds-smartest-man Yzerman on Twitter makes me smile. 

Of course, the narrative is more “Yzerman actually stupid, I could still make better moves” and not just acknowledging how fickle and difficult it is to build a contender in a hard cap league without winning the draft lottery.

OTOH Yzerman defenders pulling out “he inherited no good young players” and “he needs to sign veterans to help the young players” that I just read on Twitter sounds oddly familiar. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

People jumping all over former worlds-smartest-man Yzerman on Twitter makes me smile. 

Of course, the narrative is more “Yzerman actually stupid, I could still make better moves” and not just acknowledging how fickle and difficult it is to build a contender in a hard cap league without winning the draft lottery.

OTOH Yzerman defenders pulling out “he inherited no good young players” and “he needs to sign veterans to help the young players” that I just read on Twitter sounds oddly familiar. 

The polarization of people online is just completely ridiculous. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

A GM is never doing as bad as the haters say and never doing as good as the homers say. Best rule to go by.

Yzerman is laying the foundation for the next GM to get all the glory. That’s often the way of the builder GMs. Same thing happened with Tallon.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

LTIR space and cap space are two completely different things. LTIR space is only used when you run out of cap space. Being in LTIR during the season limits the amount of moves you can make and it also stops you from banking real cap space so you can make trades, especially at the trade deadline. 

Probably the worst thing that can happen to a non playoff team is to be in LTIR. Montreal can’t make any moves now and weaponize cap space to get picks and prospects. They don’t have a lot of cap space next year either unless they plan to run on LTIR again. 

It's not really though. What matters is if you have the cap space available when it's needed for a push. We're still dealing with that as an epic failure in Canuck land, Garland, Beauvillier, Boeser, Myers, OEL ... 20 mil plus ... yuck. The Habs will be free and clear when it's time.