The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drones...???

LTC123

Question about drones?

1.  Why didn't we see them 10 years ago?     Did someone just "invent" a drone in the last 5 years?     

2.  What technological advancement has made them so readily available?    Wasn't it easy to hook up 4 fans to a piece of plastic with an RC controller in the 90's?     

To me, it just seems like a simple piece of technology and curious why we didn't see them on the shelves 10+ years ago.....why now?  

4 minutes ago, LTC123 said:

Question about drones?

1.  Why didn't we see them 10 years ago?     Did someone just "invent" a drone in the last 5 years?     

2.  What technological advancement has made them so readily available?    Wasn't it easy to hook up 4 fans to a piece of plastic with an RC controller in the 90's?     

To me, it just seems like a simple piece of technology and curious why we didn't see them on the shelves 10+ years ago.....why now?  

Been around for longer than that.

Here you go.

https://discoveryoftech.com/when-did-drones-become-popular/#:~:text=Drones have been around for,available to the general public.

Drones have been around for a while, but they didn’t become popular until the 2000s. First drone was invented in 1935 and was used for military purposes. They later became available to law enforcement and firefighting agencies, and it wasn’t until the 2000s that drones became available to the general public.

11 minutes ago, LTC123 said:

Question about drones?

I know nothing, but I just had a quick guess that it has something to do with improvements in camera technology (or at least the ability to make the same technology cheaper). If you fly a drone, but nobody on social media sees it, did you even fly it? 

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Also don't forget that this means a possible intrusion into airspace used by commercial airlines and private aviators, plus *gasp* the military, so obviously they're going to guard jealously the ability of others to throw stuff into the air.

I'm waiting for the first moron to inadvertently take down a jetliner to see what the backlash would be against consumer drone operators.  :ph34r:

Water bombers, fighting forest fires have been sent away from fires due to drones in the flight path/area.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/drone-intercepts-fire-1.6108946

A water bomber trying to put out a forest fire in eastern Manitoba had to turn back after someone flew a drone in its way, according to the province.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-03/drones-stop-waterbombing-at-esperance-fire/10865864

A multi-agency investigation has been launched after waterbombing aircraft were grounded due to drones flying near bushfires in Western Australia's south-east.

And a story about a large airport being shut down due to drone in the area.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/21/drone-dc-airport-shutdown-00047213

An unauthorized drone briefly shut down air traffic at the airport closest to the U.S. Capitol building Thursday, the Federal Aviation Administration said — raising fresh questions about airports’ ability to deal with drones that fly too close, without grinding traffic to a halt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatwick_Airport_drone_incident

Between 19 and 21 December 2018, hundreds of flights were cancelled at Gatwick Airport near London, England, following reports of drone sightings close to the runway. With 140,000 passengers and 1,000 flights affected, it was the biggest disruption at Gatwick since its closure following the 2010 volcano eruptions in Iceland.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LTC123 said:

Question about drones?

They used to be called RC helicopter and evolved from there... ;) Creative, that's for sure!  A.I. is going to be a game changer too.. well already is in some ways but expect by leaps and bounds as technology steps up faster and faster. 

13 minutes ago, icycold said:

They used to be called RC helicopter

And planes as well. When I was a kid there was a field out towards Tsawwassen that had a small runway for the radio controlled planes.

looked like a cool hobby.

This kind of plane was not available back then but looks like a lot of fun, and sounds great.

9 hours ago, Gurn said:

And planes as well. When I was a kid there was a field out towards Tsawwassen that had a small runway for the radio controlled planes.

looked like a cool hobby.

This kind of plane was not available back then but looks like a lot of fun, and sounds great.

Yeah I know that one actually, I used to be a total WW2 buff, I never was any good at flying RC planes really but had friends who were pretty good but I think most were Cessna's that they had but I did see a show with a guy who had a monster sized ME 109 that was pretty frickin cool! 

• Upvote 1

It makes sense. With the rise of Li-Ion batteries being smaller and light weight. More development in electrical motors (engines). Microchip systems, and lighter materials.

Model Airplane and toy aircraft was always a thing. It just got more sophisticated. There's been RC cars and planes for decades. It's a spinoff effect of other industries and merging to drones.

The same is going for e-bikes, scooters. What was luxury toys are turning into new products for consumers. Sad part is some e-bikes cost as much as buying a Triumph motorcycle.

There's going to be issues down the line with scooters, and drones. All it's going to take is some jackass to fly a drone into a flightpath in Richmond while an aircraft is 3-4 km from final approach and it will get sucked into a jet engine and cause a catastrophe. I see kids and adults on scooters silently zipping around busy traffic. I've seen one scooter rider who actually had a bike helmet and some light padding for his chest, arms, elbows and knees. Everyone else is in flip flops and shorts, and t-shirts.

All I'm asking if you are on an e-bike, scooter, or have a drone. Please use your head, and be responsible. End of speech.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, LTC123 said:

Question about drones?

Interesting read: 

https://futurism.com/the-byte/drone-soars-like-bird-no-power

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It makes sense. With the rise of Li-Ion batteries being smaller and light weight. More development in electrical motors (engines). Microchip systems, and lighter materials.

Model Airplane and toy aircraft was always a thing. It just got more sophisticated. There's been RC cars and planes for decades. It's a spinoff effect of other industries and merging to drones.

The same is going for e-bikes, scooters. What was luxury toys are turning into new products for consumers. Sad part is some e-bikes cost as much as buying a Triumph motorcycle.

There's going to be issues down the line with scooters, and drones. All it's going to take is some jackass to fly a drone into a flightpath in Richmond while an aircraft is 3-4 km from final approach and it will get sucked into a jet engine and cause a catastrophe. I see kids and adults on scooters silently zipping around busy traffic. I've seen one scooter rider who actually had a bike helmet and some light padding for his chest, arms, elbows and knees. Everyone else is in flip flops and shorts, and t-shirts.

All I'm asking if you are on an e-bike, scooter, or have a drone. Please use your head, and be responsible. End of speech.

With so many E bikes out there I now assume every bike I see is an E bike- as they accelerate so damn fast.

That time and space you thought you had-disappears really quickly.

Also wish people would not screw around, trying to hop up their batteries- seems most e bike battery fires are from people messing around, rather than following the owners manual in regards to charging.

• Cheers 1

Any of these electric bicycles and scooters that can go over 10 kph, without human power, should need a driver’s license to be on the streets/sidewalks. If a person uses a real bike or scooter to travel fast, good for them. But if it’s electric they need a license. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Any of these electric bicycles and scooters that can go over 10 kph, without human power, should need a driver’s license to be on the streets/sidewalks. If a person uses a real bike or scooter to travel fast, good for them. But if it’s electric they need a license. 

So, healthy humans that can go naturally fast dont need to ahere to your proposed law?

I like it.

On 8/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, bishopshodan said:

So, healthy humans that can go naturally fast dont need to ahere to your proposed law?

I like it.

What’s health have to do with going fast on a bike, without aid? Hills cause speed. It’s the fact that electric scooters and bikes go fast because of the motor. License the drivers. No licence = no go. 

32 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I kind of like the idea of pedestrians taking a free swing with a baseball bat of anyone on a vehicle (motorized or not) that uses the sidewalk - the only exemption being wheelchairs for the disabled...

...with the unexpected consequence being wheelchair sales (and thefts) increasing exponentially. :ph34r:

Yep, the bylaws against riding on the side walks are as enforced as bicycle helmet laws or smoking close to doorways/ air intakes

• Vintage 1