The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) If the Canucks MUST make the playoffs in 2023/24, what does ‘all in’ look like?

Rate this topic

RWJC

Not all in but JUST make the 1st round. 

Let the hockey gods help, team chemistry might click, maybe we get a hot hand on the second or third line, add a lower cost forward at the trade deadline who goes on a tear. 

Lower minutes for our stars means our pk is up to snuff.

I agree Myers is great in the post season, but not Bear. I'd rather use a black ace from Abby than Bear.

Toughness up front, a pto 10 game special to Ritchie maybe. Or Juulsen on the 4th line. We need guys that can hand out snot bubble hits.

I don't think we can afford to audition Martin again, it's Silovs job to lose.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

I predict we start slow as RT get them to play the way he wants. Then pick up speed as the season goes on.  We will make the playoffs.

What's going on with Myers.   His bonus has been paid hasn't it? 

Paid or not. The reality is the same reason fans want to trade him, are the same reasons other teams don't want him.

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This team is no where close to be going "all in".

I think this season'll determine that. We really don't know what we have with everyone firing on all cylinders. I believe with that being the case, we'd do well. But if Demko or Petey struggle or (please God no) get injured, that'll likely impact it.

This team's better than they've shown. We do need more physicality and our d to be better, but I'm not sure we're as far off as some may think. Potential's there to be much better than we've shown and we've seen glimpses of it.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe if we make the playoffs like 3 years in a row here. Starts by making it the first time. Crazy article but I mean we’ve basically tried to go all in a few times in the last decade lol 

4 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I predict we start slow as RT get them to play the way he wants. Then pick up speed as the season goes on.  We will make the playoffs.

What's going on with Myers.   His bonus has been paid hasn't it? 

Myers will be given only $1M in salary this year, but a hefty bonus will be paid in his name before the season's beginning.

1 hour ago, Ballisticsports. said:

Is that because our stars let up though?

Rest them more and have other's step up given the opportunity with more ice time and offensive zone starts against weaker teams and build team unity where everyone's contribution is rewarded

I agree

let all the players know that when the team is up other role players who are hustling hard and contributing get more ice time

Just now, Wanless said:

I agree

let all the players know that when the team is up other role players who are hustling hard and contributing get more ice time

I think there will finally be more accountability with the new management and players asked to be doing it themselves and playing their roles given and standing up for one another and being a Team (instead of a collection of individuals playing a game)

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Would be great if we could trade Myers and Beauvillier with retention and get some slightly pricey big, physical guys to fill out the depth. 

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev
________ - Miller - Boeser
Garland - Suter - Podkolzin
Pearson - Blueger - Joshua (not massive but at least they'd offer some pushback and scoring ability) 

This is where I disagree and say far too many people are sleeping on Beauvillier and casting him aside like he’s nothing. You gotta remember he was in a defense first system in New York and was on pace for a career high in points after coming here, and fit in rather seamlessly. If anything get him on line two and swap Garland for Höglander. 

13 hours ago, Pears said:

I agree with much of this article but these two paragraphs/situations kind of contradict each other don’t they? You can’t overplay your best players but at the same time put them on some kind of load management plan. 

Not a fan of trading the 1st unless you have 1sts I feel uncomfortable about that one. There's other players not mentioned that can be moved to gain the so called wiggle room. 

I generally agree with most of what was said in that article. 
I think Demko needs to be managed carefully and they should bring in a veteran backup or play Silovs 50G between both clubs. 
EP is maturing physically and coming into his peak. I feel like Q is also close. You ride the horses if they are healthy. It is not overplaying them, it is utilizing them.

It is, however, time to be cognizant of overusing JTM early in the year though.
I am actually surprised we didn’t trade next years first yet. Good for PA for showing some restraint. You know JR is itching to move that thing out. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Would be great if we could trade Myers and Beauvillier with retention and get some slightly pricey big, physical guys to fill out the depth. 

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev
________ - Miller - Boeser
Garland - Suter - Podkolzin
Pearson - Blueger - Joshua (not massive but at least they'd offer some pushback and scoring ability) 

If Hogz comes in flying I wouldn't mind seeing him in that #2 LW spot even,thats a dream situation if they can move Myers and move out Beau too and bring in a upgrade on RD, that is massive win this off-season!! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Not a fan of trading the 1st unless you have 1sts I feel uncomfortable about that one. There's other players not mentioned that can be moved to gain the so called wiggle room. 

If it’s moved for another top 4 RD I’d be ok with that since that’s the only other thing we really need right now. 

This article seems more like a rough sketch of a school kid's essay but it throws out a bunch of talking points.

-If we plan to play Demko 60+ my biggest fear is he gets injured again. If we go with Martin all year I think we're sunk anyway. He's brutal.

-Our biggest factor will be trying to build a cohesive defensive unit, especially the top 6

-Once again we have a lot of new faces, can the team gel right off the bat or will we be out by December again

-Captaincy is unimportant imo

-I agree the team needs to be merciless for once, too much country club going back decades

-I've felt our 2024 first has been gone for awhile, hopefully it's spent wisely and not on a rental, a partner for Hughes would be wise

-I think we need to upgrade  our top 6 somehow for our team to get to the next level, we're far to wishy washy with Boeser, Kuzmenko, and Garland.

-Hoglander or Podkolzin making strides would be a godsend

-Rick Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar, and the Sedin's could be a difference maker. What a great development for our club

-I would ditch Beauvillier or Garland for an upgrade if possible, not sure Beauvillier makes a difference one way or another

• Cheers 1

Petey has had a couple pretty good seasons and one very good season and this is his attitude. Not a fan of that, if he had 3 years behind him like last year I could see it, but other then last year he's been as much to blame for us missing the playoffs as anyone else. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This article seems more like a rough sketch of a school kid's essay but it throws out a bunch of talking points.

-If we plan to play Demko 60+ my biggest fear is he gets injured again. If we go with Martin all year I think we're sunk anyway. He's brutal.

-Our biggest factor will be trying to build a cohesive defensive unit, especially the top 6

-Once again we have a lot of new faces, can the team gel right off the bat or will we be out by December again

-Captaincy is unimportant imo

-I agree the team needs to be merciless for once, too much country club going back decades

-I've felt our 2024 first has been gone for awhile, hopefully it's spent wisely and not on a rental, a partner for Hughes would be wise

-I think we need to upgrade  our top 6 somehow for our team to get to the next level, we're far to wishy washy with Boeser, Kuzmenko, and Garland.

-Hoglander or Podkolzin making strides would be a godsend

-Rick Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar, and the Sedin's could be a difference maker. What a great development for our club

-I would ditch Beauvillier or Garland for an upgrade if possible, not sure Beauvillier makes a difference one way or another

I’ve been saying since June that Brett Pesce fits that bill perfectly. Bring him in, sign him to a 5 year extension and by the time that’s up, guys like Willander, D-Petey etc., should be developed enough to come and contribute full time. Just makes too much sense imo. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

They’re going to have to decide that soon with two major RFAs due for new contracts. Could eventually lose both EP and Horny after next season (which also means the waste of a 1st round pick) if we can’t show we can compete.
The longer we remain outside the playoffs we also lose standing with any decent UFAs or players who could’ve been acquired through trade who have NMC’s. Then we overpay. 

There has to be a slight sense of urgency with this franchise this season, imho. Mgmt has been positioning everything quite nicely but it has to deliver by mid season, meaning we are squarely in the hunt for a definitive playoff position. Anything less than that (including wildcard chase) is flirting with disaster, imho

it’s asking a lot but a lot is riding on this season alone

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

I’ve been saying since June that Brett Pesce fits that bill perfectly. Bring him in, sign him to a 5 year extension and by the time that’s up, guys like Willander, D-Petey etc., should be developed enough to come and contribute full time. Just makes too much sense imo. 

I'd be 100% on board with that. I think he might want to stay in the East and the US though. I totally agree though. The plan should be to have Willander come in on the third line and work him in slowly.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We kind of are though. We have negative cap space, and have exhausted almost all of our assets besides Willander, Lekkerimaki, and our first. Unfortunately we've been all in for years and it keeps us from icing a better team. The article is dead right about that.

"Now, this is the Vancouver Canucks we’re talking about, an organization that never needs much convincing to make a push toward postseason revenue."

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1