The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) If the Canucks MUST make the playoffs in 2023/24, what does ‘all in’ look like?

Rate this topic

RWJC

Acquire a tough defence-first LD to take minutes off Hughes. We've got good centers. We've got plenty of wingers. Sure, size up front would be nice but it'd be impossible to find a big winger who brings enough offence or defence to replace a Garland or Beauvillier or Boeser. 

We don't have many glaring weaknesses, but LD is thin. Hughes, Soucy and Hirose it seems (assuming Cole plays RD with Hughes). I just worry Quinn's going to log 25-30 minutes a night, Soucy might get trusted with 18 minutes and Hirose/Irwin/Rathbone...who knows, I think around 15-16. 

A backup goalie would be nice but I trust a rested Martin and more importantly, a developing Silovs.

I'd go hard after a decent veteran, big strong LD. Flip the 1st if we have to. Then move Myers even at the cost of an asset. That is ballsy movement but that's what going all in would look like for me. Maybe a bit much but if that's the difference between playoffs (and therefore, resigning Petey), then you do it.

29 minutes ago, thrago said:

Petey has had a couple pretty good seasons and one very good season and this is his attitude. Not a fan of that, if he had 3 years behind him like last year I could see it, but other then last year he's been as much to blame for us missing the playoffs as anyone else. 

I have concerns as well. He recently was getting help with faceoffs and still needs to show he is a playoff performer. I would hate for him to sign a long term deal and is not able to carry the team in the playoffs. 

His attitude is eeriy similar to Horvat. Coincidence?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m fine trading the first if its top 10 protected and it lands us another player like Hronek who’s young and fills a big need.

At this point 15th overall picks aren’t gonna do much for us. It’s time to start beefing up that D core or we’re gonna waste all the prime years of some really good young players.

I agree , we have to strike a balance between needs now and into the future. Getting another guy like Hronek in that age range(25-26) gives us time to draft and development players before we require replacements for them.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Tell that to Balding Buck and Pie Face Buck.

Apparently, from what I heard, the one in charge of travel arrangements in AEW (including airport transfer) is a friend of the Young Bucks 

And we all heard of the bogus number CM Punk got for his transfer when he arrived in London 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I have concerns as well. He recently was getting help with faceoffs and still needs to show he is a playoff performer. I would hate for him to sign a long term deal and is not able to carry the team in the playoffs. 

His attitude is eeriy similar to Horvat. Coincidence?

And what attitude is that?

Tired of playing for a crap team. :frantic:

To me, if Pesce is willing to sign a long term deal and become Hughes partner for the next 5-6 years, he would be my #1 target/priority.

Assuming it would take a good haul to land him from Carolina prior to the start of this season. This would be my offer.

To Carolina:

Myers (retain 1.8), plays 3rd pairing minutes. Big body for playoff hockey, plays with some underrated edge.

1st unprotected 2024

Hoglander- young player with promise to be gifted offensively but needs some more seasoning on his defensive game.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

And what attitude is that?

Tired of playing for a crap team. :frantic:

You know the " I am going to concentrate on the season " you know, before the season has started? This management team seem to want to pay their players "fair market value" , I am thinking Petey didn't think it was "fair market value" enough.

The only reason for the pause(contract talks) is so he can pad his stats to make his worth a little more. You know, kinda like his pal Horvat did?

If he decides to sign contracts like Miller or Hughes did, then I will admit I was wrong. If he holds out for more? Well, that remains to be seen and we will see what his real intentions are.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

To me, if Pesce is willing to sign a long term deal and become Hughes partner for the next 5-6 years, he would be my #1 target/priority.

Assuming it would take a good haul to land him from Carolina prior to the start of this season. This would be my offer.

To Carolina:

Myers (retain 1.8), plays 3rd pairing minutes. Big body for playoff hockey, plays with some underrated edge.

1st unprotected 2024

Hoglander- young player with promise to be gifted offensively but needs some more seasoning on his defensive game.

No thanks to overpaying for another dman.

Develop them the way youre supposed to.

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Apparently, from what I heard, the one in charge of travel arrangements in AEW (including airport transfer) is a friend of the Young Bucks 

And we all heard of the bogus number CM Punk got for his transfer when he arrived in London 

I hope he leaves that gong show tbh. It’s great there’s an alternative to WWE, but I don’t want to see a bunch of middle school looking men be heels.

Gunther fka Walter is a prime example of a perfect heel.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

You know the " I am going to concentrate on the season " you know, before the season has started? This management team seem to want to pay their players "fair market value" , I am thinking Petey didn't think it was "fair market value" enough.

The only reason for the pause(contract talks) is so he can pad his stats to make his worth a little more. You know, kinda like his pal Horvat did?

If he decides to sign contracts like Miller or Hughes did, then I will admit I was wrong. If he holds out for more? Well, that remains to be seen and we will see what his real intentions are.

Yeah smart move on his part. He'll make more money waiting for the cap to finally increase and see if the team isn't a complete joke and out of the playoff race by December again. I would do the exact same thing if I was in his position. Very smart move.

I have to totally respect what Horvat accomplished last year. It's obvious he put a tonne of time into working on his release and his shooting. It's also obvious he spent a tonne of time working on tips and net front play, as well as coming into camp in incredible shape. He won 958 face-offs as well for a 57% win ratio.

It seems really odd to criticize a player for hard work and a career best performance. Really really weird take actually. I sure hope Petterson doesn't come in better than last year and score 50. That would be tragic lol. What an ahole :picard: :P

Edit: In addition I don't know if you were following along and forgot because it doesn't suit your narrative but apparently the offer made to Horvat was ridiculously low at $5.125 for 8 years. That is no where near "fair market value", as you claim.

https://clutchpoints.com/bo-horvat-insulting-contract-offer-vancouver-canucks-trade

Edited by Gawdzukes

29 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah smart move on his part. He'll make more money waiting for the cap to finally increase and see if the team isn't a complete joke and out of the playoff race by December again. I would do the exact same thing if I was in his position. Very smart move.

I have to totally respect what Horvat accomplished last year. It's obvious he put a tonne of time into working on his release and his shooting. It's also obvious he spent a tonne of time working on tips and net front play, as well as coming into camp in incredible shape. He won 958 face-offs as well for a 57% win ratio.

It seems really odd to criticize a player for hard work and a career best performance. Really really weird take actually. I sure hope Petterson doesn't come in better than last year and score 50. That would be tragic lol. What an ahole :picard: :P

Edit: In addition I don't know if you were following along and forgot because it doesn't suit your narrative but apparently the offer made to Horvat was ridiculously low at $5.125 for 8 years. That is no where near "fair market value", as you claim.

https://clutchpoints.com/bo-horvat-insulting-contract-offer-vancouver-canucks-trade

They offered the captain Horvat less than what they are paying Boeser. Even if previous mgmt set that precedent, you don’t take that much of a haircut under the team salary structure when you are out producing the majority of the roster.

it was insulting but it was intentional imho so as to make the first steps in facilitating change, which was the right move anyway. Team had become stale. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

No thanks to overpaying for another dman.

Develop them the way youre supposed to.

I hear ya. I have the same outlook more or less. Just putting out an "all in" proposal to improve the team based on the thread "Canucks MUST make the playoffs in 23/24." If that was the direction from ownership, that is what I would try and do. Go out and get an awesome, complimentary partner for Hughes who could play on this squad for years to come.

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

This article seems more like a rough sketch of a school kid's essay but it throws out a bunch of talking points.

-If we plan to play Demko 60+ my biggest fear is he gets injured again. If we go with Martin all year I think we're sunk anyway. He's brutal.

-Our biggest factor will be trying to build a cohesive defensive unit, especially the top 6

-Once again we have a lot of new faces, can the team gel right off the bat or will we be out by December again

-Captaincy is unimportant imo

-I agree the team needs to be merciless for once, too much country club going back decades

-I've felt our 2024 first has been gone for awhile, hopefully it's spent wisely and not on a rental, a partner for Hughes would be wise

-I think we need to upgrade  our top 6 somehow for our team to get to the next level, we're far to wishy washy with Boeser, Kuzmenko, and Garland.

-Hoglander or Podkolzin making strides would be a godsend

-Rick Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar, and the Sedin's could be a difference maker. What a great development for our club

-I would ditch Beauvillier or Garland for an upgrade if possible, not sure Beauvillier makes a difference one way or another

Shows how fans just look at "what have you done for me lately" way of looking at things.  Martin the previous season was undefeated in regulation.  But I guess he was brutal that year too according to you.  Martin was decent until he was thrust into the starting job last season.  He was overplayed and his play suffered.  I think he will be fine as a regular backup.  We just can't count on him if Demko goes down with an injury.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

They offered the captain Horvat less than what they are paying Boeser. Even if previous mgmt set that precedent, you don’t take that much of a haircut under the team salary structure when you are out producing the majority of the roster.

it was insulting but it was intentional imho so as to make the first steps in facilitating change, which was the right move anyway. Team had become stale. 

Yup, I was a big proponent of trade Miller keep Horvat but I've got to admit it admit it worked out fairly well. Miller is the more talented player, albeit older. As you say the team was definitely stale and no team can afford three 8 million dollar centers. We also got a decent return for Bo as well.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Shows how fans just look at "what have you done for me lately" way of looking at things.  Martin the previous season was undefeated in regulation.  But I guess he was brutal that year too according to you.  Martin was decent until he was thrust into the starting job last season.  He was overplayed and his play suffered.  I think he will be fine as a regular backup.  We just can't count on him if Demko goes down with an injury.

Well yeah, he's got 38 games total in the NHL so I think that recent play should definitely be taken into account. His play in the second half was absolutely brutal though (.871). Worst I've seen in a while. I think he was rated as the worst backup in the NHL. If he can provide decent play like the start of the year and his 21-22 finish (3-0-3) then great. Not a lot of evidence though. The problem I see is that Demko doesn't appear to able to play 65-70 games without getting hurt. So if he plays 57-62 that leaves about 20+ starts for the backup.

Hopefully you're right and my fears are misplaced. I'll be happier then heck if he can even play .500 and win 10 games but I'm awfully worried after watching his 29 games last year. It should be expected that your backup should be able to come in play semi-decent hockey if your goalie goes down with injury. Not just completely melt down like Martin did last year. I'd be way more comfortable with an upgrade there. Maybe Silovs comes in lights out and steals the job. If it's Martin I'll be nervously hoping for the best.

From the article

Acquire a better backup, or recall Arturs Silovs frequently
We’re not here to be cruel or callous, but Spencer Martin was the worst backup in the NHL last year, and it wasn’t even close.
Edited by Gawdzukes