3141 replies to this topic

#181 ilikecanucks

ilikecanucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

I think I posted this last year in a thread about Patrick White.

1 - Trying out for the Canucks means he has to pay for housing wherever the Canucks are having training camp. He also has to pay out of his own pocket to get there, as well as food, equipment sharpening etc. The same applies to any player who is on a NCAA roster, or is going to join a NCAA team.

2 - Travel expenses if he get dressed for an pre-season exhibition match not in GM Place.

3 - U of Minny will have started school by then, and will be around midterms, and I think their hockey season will have started as well.

It should also be noted Patrick White drove himself to rookie camp last season, so at least now they could car-pool.

Edited by ilikecanucks, 28 June 2009 - 05:23 PM.

#182 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:30 PM

It should also be noted Patrick White drove himself to rookie camp last season, so at least now they could car-pool.

I thought he took a plane?

Hopefully both will come to rookie camp.

#183 Cody_Hodgson

Cody_Hodgson

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

Zach Boychuk vs Jordan Schroeder. This will be interesting. I feel Carolina Hurricanes is the perfect fit for someone like him, but Vancouver taking Jordan Schroeder will be interesting to see. He gives a component of something we never really had--speed and skill. Sure, Sedins got the skill, but never good on break-aways. Kesler has speed, but average skill. So we'll see. Hodgson and Grabner and Schroeder will be very interesting to watch.

~Brand New~ Personal NHL Blog hosted by Toddlund (NJD) and Jofu (Canucks, Flames) and Many many more:
http://nhltalk202.webs.com/. ~Looking for new NHL team bloggers

#184 MattDuchene9

MattDuchene9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

I hope he comes in to the organization soon. He's almost NHL ready I've read somewhere.

Edited by MattDuchene9, 28 June 2009 - 09:23 PM.

MG!! PLAY GRABNER AND HANSEN FOR NEXT SEASON!
GOOD LUCK NASLUND IN NEW YORK!
SEDINS PWN !

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GE0vVA3uXAg[/b]

#185 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,043 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:11 PM

Edited by DeNiro, 28 June 2009 - 11:11 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#186 Jordan Schroeder

Jordan Schroeder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:35 PM

Sig By VC (thx )

#187 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:35 PM

Zach Boychuk vs Jordan Schroeder. This will be interesting. I feel Carolina Hurricanes is the perfect fit for someone like him, but Vancouver taking Jordan Schroeder will be interesting to see. He gives a component of something we never really had--speed and skill. Sure, Sedins got the skill, but never good on break-aways. Kesler has speed, but average skill. So we'll see. Hodgson and Grabner and Schroeder will be very interesting to watch.

we had players with great speed + skill before :D a few years ago it was Naslund, and before him was Bure.

it's good to see we finally have a prospect like that again tho

#188 fogducker

fogducker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:59 AM

we had players with great speed + skill before :D a few years ago it was Naslund, and before him was Bure.

it's good to see we finally have a prospect like that again tho

I don't know if I'd put Naslund in the same sentence as Bure when it comes to speed. Bure was a class of his own.
Stephane Auger is a prick. Patrick Kane is a small prick.

#189 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:51 AM

I don't know if I'd put Naslund in the same sentence as Bure when it comes to speed. Bure was a class of his own.

well Naslund wasn't as fast as Bure.. I mean.. how many NHL players in teh last 20 years who can skate as fast as him while being able to maintain a good puck control?

but Naslund was one of the fastest in the league in his time. It's just that, like you said, Bure was a class of his own.

#190 TRIPP3D

TRIPP3D

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:13 AM

http://www.bigtennet...deos/hockey.asp

If you browse though the video clips, there are some highlights of his games with Minnesota.

Cheers!

#191 chickenman92

chickenman92

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:17 AM

loving the pick of schroeder, why he was there at 22 i don't know. shocked the hell out of me that he was there. nice to have a gm who is smart enough to take the bpa. loved gillis interview "we had him as a top 10 player in the draft and when he was there it was a no brainer for us to take him"

anyone think he can play next year? i'm a bit unsure he may need 1 more year but he will play a lot sooner then most of the 1st rd

imo gillis is loving the drafting business, he look happier then last year when he stole hodgson

TAKE JAKE! ... we gotta get T-Shirts made up. 

That is all

TEESHIRT

#192 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:08 AM

Consensus seems to be that Schroeder slipped in the draft due to "poor interviews" with other teams. I wonder how that is compatible with Gillis' strategy of "intelligence, integrity, and character"?

#193 ilikecanucks

ilikecanucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

Consensus seems to be that Schroeder slipped in the draft due to "poor interviews" with other teams. I wonder how that is compatible with Gillis' strategy of "intelligence, integrity, and character"?

Well I dont think Gillis would have taken him if the character issue actually had a leg to stand on. Gillis and the Canucks obviously interviewed him, didnt see anything but a talented, confident hockey player who should have gone a lot higher.

IM glad they took him....everyone who wanted Moore just wanted to fill a organizational hole, because Schroeder is better now, and if potential is through the roof.....JOhn Moore has a long way to go before playing in the NHL.

Gillis said they had the oppurtunity to trade down, so obviously someone wanted Schroeder, I really wonder what the package would have been to trade down?

Edited by ilikecanucks, 29 June 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#194 MrDude

MrDude

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

There's a Gophers game on the Big Ten Network right now if anyone want to see him play. He's looking really good the few minutes I've been watching.

#195 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

Well I dont think Gillis would have taken him if the character issue actually had a leg to stand on. Gillis and the Canucks obviously interviewed him, didnt see anything but a talented, confident hockey player who should have gone a lot higher.

IM glad they took him....everyone who wanted Moore just wanted to fill a organizational hole, because Schroeder is better now, and if potential is through the roof.....JOhn Moore has a long way to go before playing in the NHL.

Gillis said they had the oppurtunity to trade down, so obviously someone wanted Schroeder, I really wonder what the package would have been to trade down?

I just find it interesting that other teams perceived some sort of character issue with Schroeder. Whether they were just scared off by his size and were looking for any other issue they could find to downgrade him could be a possibility. I trust the Canucks evaluation of "intangibles" as they have made it a scouting priority.

I think this was an outstanding pick for the Canucks and thought they might trade up to get him as he fit what was the biggest void in the organization - talented offensive players. While there is a lack of offensive d-men in the system, at the NHL level the Canucks have good defensive depth.
The bigger hole in the organization was players with top 6 forward potential. Once you get past Hodgson and Grabner, there was basically no one. Schroeder and Rodin go a long way in filling that void.

#196 MrTubesteak

MrTubesteak

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

There's a Gophers game on the Big Ten Network right now if anyone want to see him play. He's looking really good the few minutes I've been watching.

That's for that note dude. I just ran to the tv and starting recording it.
Looks like I missed the first period, but I can't wait to watch Schroeder and White.

#197 vancity4life

vancity4life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

We now have the best young american (behind Vanriemsdyk, Shattenkirk perhaps, and Wilson) in college, can't wait to see him play for us someday. So many teams will have this come back to haunt them, character problems or not. ahhhaah you know what probably did him in? picking Sean Avery to go to dinner instead of Barrack Obama and Maria Sharpova.
LIKE A BOSS

#198 Cody_Hodgson

Cody_Hodgson

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

I'd take Maria Sharapova out to dinner anytime. Until she gets old and ugly. :lol:

~Brand New~ Personal NHL Blog hosted by Toddlund (NJD) and Jofu (Canucks, Flames) and Many many more:
http://nhltalk202.webs.com/. ~Looking for new NHL team bloggers

#199 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

I love that he was one of the guys that White was trapped behind in ice time and now he is ours, he should be a good player I'm excited to follow him.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#200 Nuck_fan from europe

Nuck_fan from europe

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:52 AM

:lol:

NOT funny, I'm 5.8' too :blink:
Posted Image

#201 Abaddon

Abaddon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

Asked who was going to be on his line at UMinn next season, he said that he had already told the coach who he'd play with.

The Minnesota coach asks all his players during the off-season what players they'd most like to play with.

He was critical of team-mates and coaches and blamed the U.S.'s failure to win at the under-20s on everyone else except himself.

Team USA was a mess last year. They were the the favourite on paper but their coach blew up against Canada - when his only goal should have been preventing his players from blowing up - and should-be-dominant guys like Van Riemsdyck just didn't look that into the games. I can see why Schroeder would say what he "said".

#202 playstasian

playstasian

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

Can't he get into the AHL this year? He is 19 years old right?
Posted Image
TheAgent

#203 BionicBunny

BionicBunny

Canucks Franchise Player

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,916 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

Can't he get into the AHL this year? He is 19 years old right?

He should stay in College hockey, and no the age is 20, unless the rules doesn't apply to college players

#204 Grama

Grama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

He should stay in College hockey, and no the age is 20, unless the rules doesn't apply to college players

it only applies to players who played in major junior in their draft year. so, in theory, if Jordan Schroeder signed a contract with the canucks, we COULD see him play in the AHL next season. The safe money says he plays another season in the NCAA tho.

#205 Biggles

Biggles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

I think the real question here is is he willing to leave early?
Posted Image

#206 JohnTavares

JohnTavares

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

loving the pick of schroeder, why he was there at 22 i don't know. shocked the hell out of me that he was there. nice to have a gm who is smart enough to take the bpa. loved gillis interview "we had him as a top 10 player in the draft and when he was there it was a no brainer for us to take him"

anyone think he can play next year? i'm a bit unsure he may need 1 more year but he will play a lot sooner then most of the 1st rd

imo gillis is loving the drafting business, he look happier then last year when he stole hodgson

Well Hodgson was ranked around that 7-10th spot, but Schroeder was top 10-15 in most lists. Got him at 22. That's a 7-12 drop.

Nonis passed on BPA Perron and Moller. Look how they turned out, one of the top prospects in the game. (Perron being an impact player already)

In the 07 draft, if we BPA'd the top two rounds we'd have Perron AND Moller. Unfortunately Nonis did not know how to BPA and we ended up with White and Ellington.

EHL: Detroit Red Wings

medium.png

#207 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,365 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:54 AM

Well Hodgson was ranked around that 7-10th spot, but Schroeder was top 10-15 in most lists. Got him at 22. That's a 7-12 drop.

Nonis passed on BPA Perron and Moller. Look how they turned out, one of the top prospects in the game. (Perron being an impact player already)

In the 07 draft, if we BPA'd the top two rounds we'd have Perron AND Moller. Unfortunately Nonis did not know how to BPA and we ended up with White and Ellington.

The 2007 draft was terrible. I would say there is about a 50% chance of any of our draft picks playing more than a dozen games in the NHL. White has been terrible thus far, Kablukov probably won't leave russia especially since he wouldn't be anywhere near a lock to crack the NHL, Messier is a small, weak forward who has only scored 14 goals in the last 76 games in the QMJHL (scored 27 in 69 before being drafted), Matson has suffered injury problems (1 point in 13 games before injury) and Gendur scored 9 goals in the ECHL last season.

The only player that looks to have some promise is Ellington. I think he could make it as a bottom pairing dman similar to a Murray Baron or Vitali Vishnevski.

Let's compare this with Gillis 2008 picks

1. Hodgson - Named OHL top player. He is a top 10 prospect league wide.
2. Sauve - Big defenseman with great potential. Heard great news about his defensive play. His offensive improved from 21 points in 69 games to 30 points in 61 games. 2 less points in 5 less games than his team's highest scoring defenseman.
3. Prabh Rai - Scored 5 more goals in 11 less games compared to his draft year
4. Froshaug - Has struggled. Long-term project type pick but probably a bust.
5. Morgan Clark - Bad pick

I have a feeling the 2009 picks will turn out a lot better than 2008, but we will have to wait and see.

Not only that but Gillis has picked up some decent prospects in Tochkin (expected to go 4th round), Walsky (probably would have been a 4th round pick but bloomed late) and Oberg (would have gone 2nd or 3rd round).

Edited by canucklehead44, 02 August 2009 - 11:55 AM.

Sig too big.

#208 neerlynormal

neerlynormal

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

it only applies to players who played in major junior in their draft year. so, in theory, if Jordan Schroeder signed a contract with the canucks, we COULD see him play in the AHL next season. The safe money says he plays another season in the NCAA tho.

Hey, could you post that rule in this thread, or a link to it. I thought that even if a player was drafted into the CHL, and his rights were owned by a CHL team, then he couldn't play in the AHL til he was 20? It seems like noone is sure about this rule, so having it posted would be great.

Thanks for your time. :unsure:

#209 BionicBunny

BionicBunny

Canucks Franchise Player

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,916 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hey, could you post that rule in this thread, or a link to it. I thought that even if a player was drafted into the CHL, and his rights were owned by a CHL team, then he couldn't play in the AHL til he was 20? It seems like noone is sure about this rule, so having it posted would be great.

Thanks for your time. :unsure:

Schroeder wasn't drafted by a CHL team was he?

#210 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

Schroeder wasn't drafted by a CHL team was he?

drafted by the everett silvertips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.