The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Av, Mg In The Offseason And The Value Of Higgy In Mg's Offseason Moves...random Thoughts.

nuck luck

I agree with you on Lou (my history of comments should prove that)...I just think that things will change if we don't win the cup. I can see the Lou-haters taking this to the extreme and Lou getting sick of the crap that a few of the ignorant fans will take this to....like when he got pulled recently.

While I like the AMEX line a lot I also reallly like the look of our third line and believe it could be an incredible asset in the playoffs. Perhaps the reason AV leaves Mason on the second line to get him going, is because he can. The Canucks have the luxury of knowing they have been firmly entrenched in the second season for some time and were playing for position. Is that not the best time to experiment? Certainly it will be helpful in the playoffs knowing what to expect from certain line combinations and not having to experiment then. Should be beneficial to matching up with individual teams. Maybe in round one they match up better with the AMEX line , round two Higgins (Higgy, sorry;-)) drops back to third line etc. Point being that the knowledge they have gained by experimenting will give the coaches more confidence moving players up and down the lineup depending on specific situations.

Higgins (Or should I say Higgy) plays his best hockey on that 3rd line. That line will be more important for the shutdown role they play then for the offense that higgins can bring on the 2nd line. Especially if we meet a team like Pittsburgh in the finals. As for Raymond, his defensive abilities and work ethic could prove to be important if we're in the finals giving that 2nd line shut down abilities as well. Two defensive lines will be important to shut down Malkin and Crosby. That is tough to say, because I stand beside the majority that Raymond has frustrated the hell out of.

As for the offseason, Mike Gillis must have two blue prints going. A lot rides on whether we win the cup.

While I like the AMEX line a lot I also reallly like the look of our third line and believe it could be an incredible asset in the playoffs. Perhaps the reason AV leaves Mason on the second line to get him going, is because he can. The Canucks have the luxury of knowing they have been firmly entrenched in the second season for some time and were playing for position. Is that not the best time to experiment? Certainly it will be helpful in the playoffs knowing what to expect from certain line combinations and not having to experiment then. Should be beneficial to matching up with individual teams. Maybe in round one they match up better with the AMEX line , round two Higgins (Higgy, sorry;-)) drops back to third line etc. Point being that the knowledge they have gained by experimenting will give the coaches more confidence moving players up and down the lineup depending on specific situations.

Higgins (Or should I say Higgy) plays his best hockey on that 3rd line. That line will be more important for the shutdown role they play then for the offense that higgins can bring on the 2nd line. Especially if we meet a team like Pittsburgh in the finals. As for Raymond, his defensive abilities and work ethic could prove to be important if we're in the finals giving that 2nd line shut down abilities as well. Two defensive lines will be important to shut down Malkin and Crosby. That is tough to say, because I stand beside the majority that Raymond has frustrated the hell out of.

As for the offseason, Mike Gillis must have two blue prints going. A lot rides on whether we win the cup.

I like the thought of balancing the talent for the playoffs, but I would prefer to do that with this lineup:

Lapierre Henrik Burrows

Daniel Kesler Booth

Higgins Pahlsson Hansen

Ebbett/Raymond Malholtra Kassian/Bitz/Weise

Bieksa Hamhuis

Edler Salo

Ballard Tanev/Gragnani

PP1:

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Bieksa Salo

PP2:

Higgins Ebbett Burrows

Booth Edler

This way Kesler gets a playmaker/finisher in Daniel, and the top line can just keep going the way it is.

The third can remain awesome. The 4th can be tooled to suit our opponent.

Then for the powerplay the Sedins come out and work their magic, which the other team hasn't had a chance to defend and get the feel of during 5 on 5.

I think it could solve our powerplay issues, and our one dimensional look on the top line. It's a good dimension to have, but it can be shut down over a series.

The 2nd unit PP can be filled with the reward system, so whoever is performing gets the minutes.

I like the thought of balancing the talent for the playoffs, but I would prefer to do that with this lineup:

Lapierre Henrik Burrows

Daniel Kesler Booth

Higgins Pahlsson Hansen

Ebbett/Raymond Malholtra Kassian/Bitz/Weise

Bieksa Hamhuis

Edler Salo

Ballard Tanev/Gragnani

PP1:

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Bieksa Salo

PP2:

Higgins Ebbett Burrows

Booth Edler

This way Kesler gets a playmaker/finisher in Daniel, and the top line can just keep going the way it is.

The third can remain awesome. The 4th can be tooled to suit our opponent.

Then for the powerplay the Sedins come out and work their magic, which the other team hasn't had a chance to defend and get the feel of during 5 on 5.

I think it could solve our powerplay issues, and our one dimensional look on the top line. It's a good dimension to have, but it can be shut down over a series.

The 2nd unit PP can be filled with the reward system, so whoever is performing gets the minutes.

Archived