The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN/FLA VAN/NYI realistic trades

TO VAN: Shawn Matthias C, Tyson Stachan RD

To FLA: Jordan Schroeder C, Keith Ballard LD

The Canucks have a need for a third line checking center with size who can win face offs kill penalties and play a shutdown role in the playoffs while still being able to chip in offence.

Also they need a right hand shot physical depth guy to stabilize the d-pairings. They can go back to a familiar trading partner for the trade.

Florida is rebuilding and is ravaged with injuries. Ballard could step in for Kulikov and Schroder for Weiss to give them a chance at regaining ground in the playoff picture.

Matthias is big and would fit the Canucks third line need perfectly. Strachan is a physical right hand shot perfect to stabilize the third pair.

They might need to add a draft pick for Florida to take on Ballard's contract though.

OR

TO VAN: Brad Boyes W/C, Lubomir Visnovsky LD

TO NYI: David Booth W, Keith Ballard LD

This trade helps the Canucks right now for the post-season. They get Boyes who is versatile enough to play the wing, even a little center and Visnovsky to quarterback the power play and play the right off hand side like Ehrhoff did with Edler.

Again might need to add a draft pick for Islanders to take those two contracts. Islanders get younger. Canucks get guys to help their needs right now.

YES/NO/MAYBE?

I'd possibly be willing to consider your second option of David Booth and Keith Ballard for Brad Boyes and Lubomir Visnovsky. Would likely have to throw in a 6th or 5th rounder, but I wouldn't go higher than a 5th.

This trade also helps the Islanders with some cap floor insurance with those two contracts.

No on both.

1. Matthias may be a good fit for our 3rd line, but not at that cost. Strachan is no more than a fringe NHLer. He has played 100 NHL games since '08, and has only gotten into 18 of Florida`s games this year (even with all the injuries). No thanks.

2. I like what I have see from Booth the past few games and don`t see a need to move him right now. Visnovsky may again be what we need in a puck moving defenseman, but he is left handed, so we have the same problem as with Ballard.

No on both.

1. Matthias may be a good fit for our 3rd line, but not at that cost. Strachan is no more than a fringe NHLer. He has played 100 NHL games since '08, and has only gotten into 18 of Florida`s games this year (even with all the injuries). No thanks.

2. I like what I have see from Booth the past few games and don`t see a need to move him right now. Visnovsky may again be what we need in a puck moving defenseman, but he is left handed, so we have the same problem as with Ballard.

Archived