[Proposal] VAN - NJD (Proposal)

On 9/18/2020 at 4:40 PM, DudePerfect said:

VAN: 

Damon Severson

NJD: 

Tanner Pearson

Jake Virtanen

2021 3rd Round Pick

Vancouver solidifies its D core with Severson who's a big body RHD. Gives a bit more size and is a decent skater which helps the defense get a little quicker. He's on $4.1 M until 2023 - 2024. 

New Jersey gets a good depth winger in Pearson who can effectively take on the role Wayne Simmonds had as a veteran presence in their lineup. Virtanen was a throw in to up the value since he's effectively gone according to the Benning quotes.

What do you guys think?

I like the idea, but I don’t like the trade right now. I think the value is close, if not spot on, but this leaves us with two holes in our middle 6 forward group and unless we are able to move Sutter or Eriksson or both and bring in a decent UFA or two while keeping Toffoli, this makes our offense significantly worse. If Hoglander and Podkolzin were both going to be up next year, I might think differently, but I just don’t see who fills the void. If we are banking on a healthy Ferland and bringing back Leivo and he’s healthy, then I become more interested, but with the current look of things I don’t think the timing works very well.