The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Samsung loses patent dispute with Apple

Z.Kassian9

The comment you're referring to has already been corrected. Even if you didn't invent something, licencing it serves the same purpose, which is obtaining it legally. If you had bothered to read a few responses down, but I'm guessing you did and still felt you could get brownie points for correcting something which was already corrected by someone else. Kudos.

The only thing I own from apple is an iPhone; don't know if that makes me a fanboy.

Buddy, you are the one who thinks Apple invented everything. You keep saying that Apple invented this or Apple invented that...blah blah blah, when in fact Apple hasn't invented crap. I don't care about licensing and all that crap but I have a problem when you say Apple invented X or Y when in fact its a misleading information. How about you come up with some proof and post the source instead of making things up.

That's only one of the patents. If those things were not necessary for the Galaxy to sell, they wouldn't been stolen in the first place. Point is, Samsung had strategy meetings to copy the iPhone, and did so by infringing on their patents.

All these patents are all so stupid. There should be a rule where you can't patent an abstract shape so companies don't sue each other over stupid things. Ohhh the iPad looks like Galaxy tab 2, yet they forget that it also looks like almost all the other tablets in the market. How would other companies become innovative if a shape of a tablet is patented? come up with a triangular or a circular tablet...pfff that is pretty stupid.

IMO, basic functions like pinch to zoom should also not be allowed to be patented. IF you start patenting hand gestures like sliding motion, pinch to zoom, tap to zoom etc., we might as well have one company making tablets because there is nothing else other companies would be able to do. Am sure you will like that.

They are better, which is the majority opinion (I still use a 3GS over Galaxy 2) because they took some patents which they can't take. The ideas that were patented haven't improved like the pinch to zoom function or expired. They just added other features to it.

IMO, basic functions like pinch to zoom should also not be allowed to be patented. IF you start patenting hand gestures like sliding motion, pinch to zoom, tap to zoom etc., we might as well have one company making tablets because there is nothing else other companies would be able to do. Am sure you will like that.

Ugh, patents aren't permanent, and they protect the person who came with an idea from having other people just steal it.

Also, other companies can try to come up with new things, or licence, or wait for the patent to expire. That's the whole point.

If they're so basic, why hasn't it been done before. Touch screen has been around for a long time, but no one came up with those things or patented them...

It's called patent infringement. It's not just copying the outside appearance of something, which is what you seem to think it is. My computer screen look like my TV too and it wasn't made by apple. I can also play a game of find two products that look identical. My DVD looks like an LP....copyright infringement.

I don't like trial by jury as much as the next guy, but I doubt higher courts see it differently. It's pretty easy to defend your patents, and Samsung won't have much of a case saying that copying is the norm in the industry.

Also since you think copyright reform is necessary, please tell me what changes you think are required and what is wrong with the current system?

Apple is just butthurt that Samsung came up with a more superior product. Now you go use your little 3GS while I play call of duty on my S3 with 4.8" Super AMOLED screen, Quad processor and NVIDIA TEGRA 3 GPU. Samsung and Android created mini-computers while Apple is still using the same archaic UI structure and outdated hardwares. Enjoy your Apple!

Archived