The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Official FAQ about the border thread**

In the last few days there have been quite a few threads regarding border questions. This will probably die down once the summer is over but I figure some people plan on doing some last minute school shopping.

Probably the biggest questions have been about exemptions. So here they are:

For alcohol (provided you have been away for at least 48 hrs):

Either, 1.14 L liquor, or 24 btls beer, or 1.5 L wine.

For tobacco (provided you have been away for at least 48 hrs):

1 carton of cigarettes, and 50 cigars, and 200g of loose tobacco.

If you go over the amount mentioned, you are subject to Duties and Taxes (hereinafter D/T). The taxes are a total of 13% (assuming you are crossing into BC). With NAFTA there is no D on products made in the US and Mexico. However, the provincial liquor board has a mark up value on alcohol products. It's about 150% for liquor and 80% for wine (of the purchased price). I forget the m/u for beer.

If you have been gone for 24 hrs you have a $50 exemption. If you exceed $50 you pay T on all of what you purchased, not just what you purchased minus $50. Again, this excludes alcohol and tobacco.

If you have been gone 48 hrs you are entitled to a $450 exemption which includes alcohol and tobacco. You pay D/T on the amount that exceeds $450.

If you have been gone 7 days you are entitled to $750. You pay D/T on the amount that exceeds $750.

If there are any other questions you need answers to, I will try to answer them and put the question and answer on the first page.

**Disclaimer** No answer I give you will be 100% set in stone. Different ports have different policies and officer discretion does occur.

Archived