The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

I cant stop laughing at this thread :P

Vancouverites are funny :lol:

The day University of Manitoba is closed due to snow ill eat my block heater cord.

This is why i'd love to live in Vancouver, if it snowed i'd be the only guy casually cruising around. Well me and the transplanted Albertans, Winnipegers and Saskatcheweans :P

Except not really... at -40 ice is not slippery. At -5 it is. Oh, and we have hills here.

The day University of Manitoba is closed due to snow ill eat my block heater cord.

This is why i'd love to live in Vancouver, if it snowed i'd be the only guy casually cruising around. Well me and the transplanted Albertans, Winnipegers and Saskatcheweans :P

Nobody in vancouver knows how to drive when there is no snow.

I lived in alberta for two and a half years.I know how to drive but nobody around here knows how to drive.

That's why im not driving.

Except not really... at -40 ice is not slippery. At -5 it is. Oh, and we have hills here.

Excuse me? LOL :lol:

The entire road surface is slippery, even winter tires at -40 dont react well because they harden up. Winnipeg has been a skating rink for the last two weeks or so. I fail to understand how ice....at....a colder temp....is not slippery.

Nobody in vancouver knows how to drive when there is no snow.

I lived in alberta for two and a half years.I know how to drive but nobody around here knows how to drive.

That's why im not driving.

That would be my logic, id rather not have my car totaled by some guy in an SUV thinking he is invincible in the snow around there.

Don't be so sure. Prairie folk, especially Albertans, are horrible drivers once they get here. They're good drivers in Alberta sure, but even in the driest of weather, once they get here, they're scary. I compare them to old men in minivans.

Excuse me? LOL :lol:

The entire road surface is slippery, even winter tires at -40 dont react well because they harden up. Winnipeg has been a skating rink for the last two weeks or so. I fail to understand how ice....at....a colder temp....is not slippery.

The reason why ice is slippery at all is because it has an unusual phase diagram. Normally, when you compress a liquid, it will turn into a solid and will give off heat, or conversely, if you freeze a liquid it will shrink. Water is the opposite. It expands when freezing (hence why ice cubes float, pipes burst etc).

The reason why hockey skates have thin blades of steel is so the pressure of the steel on the ice is maximized. This pressure causes the ice under the skate to melt, providing a thin layer of water on which the skate slides. You can skate at -40 because all of your weight is concentrated on a tiny thin hard piece of steel (although -40 certainly isn't optimal skating conditions).

When you drive on ice at -5 or so, your tires exert enough pressure on the ice to melt it, or at least close to it. You are thus driving around on a thin film of water all the time. At -40 ice is solid like concrete to a tire and thus is not nearly as slippery. It's certainly not ideal to drive on, but it's not like driving around on ice at -5C.

HAHA someone's already done some free landscaping for a neighbour during an uncontrolled slide that lasted the length of the hill. Now the question is whether I should remove the snow off the big rocks we have on the side of the road....?

Don't, that just adds to the comic relief.

This is why i'd love to live in Vancouver, if it snowed i'd be the only guy casually cruising around. Well me and the transplanted Albertans,Northern B.Cers, Winnipegers and Saskatcheweans :P

fixed :P

The reason why ice is slippery at all is because it has an unusual phase diagram. Normally, when you compress a liquid, it will turn into a solid and will give off heat, or conversely, if you freeze a liquid it will shrink. Water is the opposite. It expands when freezing (hence why ice cubes float, pipes burst etc).

The reason why hockey skates have thin blades of steel is so the pressure of the steel on the ice is maximized. This pressure causes the ice under the skate to melt, providing a thin layer of water on which the skate slides. You can skate at -40 because all of your weight is concentrated on a tiny thin hard piece of steel (although -40 certainly isn't optimal skating conditions).

When you drive on ice at -5 or so, your tires exert enough pressure on the ice to melt it, or at least close to it. You are thus driving around on a thin film of water all the time. At -40 ice is solid like concrete to a tire and thus is not nearly as slippery. It's certainly not ideal to drive on, but it's not like driving around on ice at -5C.

Obviously you've never driven around in -40 weather let alone been out in -40 weather.

It's a freaking mess in Victoria. Warm and pouring rain, and every streetcorner is buried under two feet of filthy slush. Supposedly this is all going to be locked into glaciers of mud when the temperature goes down to -5º tonight. Nasty.

It's terrible! To cross a street downtown, you've got to wade through a 6 ft wide swath of slush to get off the sidewalk, then another 6 ft swath of slush to get back on the sidewalk on the other side of the road.

As horrible as it looked having my dress pants tucked into my boots, I was glad I did it. My pants would have been soaked to the knees if I hadn't. (I changed into different shoes once I got to work.)

I love snow, but I hate the slushy mess it leaves behind here.