The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

I just drove from Victoria to Courtenay in the stuff. When I left Vic it was a light rain. It was 3 degrees in Goldstream park around 1:30, so I figured that the snow wasn't hitting yet... boy was I wrong. As I climbed the Malahat things became progressively worse until I was at the point of no return. It took about 45 minutes of dodging trucks that were spinning out before I got to the Brentwood bay ferrry turn off. I thought that would be the worst of it but the Cowichan valley was just nasty. There was near zero visibility, heavy snow, tons of accumulation, and accidents slowing traffic until near Ladysmith. From Ladysmith to Nanaimo was still snow covered, but seemed a lot less slippery. From Nanaimo to the Cook Creek turnoff on the new highway had one lane that was basically bare and wet despite temperatures around -2 degrees. From the turnoff to Courtenay however was brutal (clearly whoever has the snow plow contract for this area dropped the ball as it was a dramatic change right at that intersection). By this time, 4:30ish, it was getting dark and the snow really started to come down again. Finally I got to Courtenay but I had to drive through the city. Apparently people were spinning their wheels all day because the entire city is covered in VERY slippery sheets of ice. The last thing I had to do was drive up a very lage hill that was very snow covered but I finally made it home around quarter to six.

Seriously should have stayed in Victoria..